Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Osemele will start opening game, McKinnie in danger to make roster

Wicked, Taylor Lewan could well drop into the 20's, I'd definitely be happy with him as a first round pick. He has some flaws as a run blocker, and needs to add more size, as he can get over powered at times. But usually he holds up very well as a pass protector, and has the feet to play on the left side. He'd very likely be an upgrade over Michael Oher at left tackle, and he'd at least compete with him at LT if we draft him. If he wins out, Oher can stay on the right side, and KO can move to LG and replace Williams. I think it would be a good thing to keep Oher on the right side, where he could well turn out to be one of the better right tackles in the league staying at one position, instead of constantly switching between the two.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Being that Harbs is still buddy-buddy with Greg Mattison and Brady Hoke (who are both at Michigan) I bet he could probably get some inside information on Lewan as an NFL left tackle prospect.
    Slightly o/t, but this is an excellent illustration of why good coaches don't burn their bridges just to please irate fan bases.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lobachevsky View Post
    Slightly o/t, but this is an excellent illustration of why good coaches don't burn their bridges just to please irate fan bases.
    :word

wait...you mean Harbs did the RIGHT thing (*GASP*) by not shit-canning Greg Mattison publicly!?!??!??!!!
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

from Lobachevsky :
    3. *Jake Matthews, Texas A&M, 6-5/305
    Matthews is the son of Pro Football Hall of Famer Bruce Matthews...

reply : Just wanted to comment about the Matthews family. Clay Sr. and Jr. NFL LBs, Bruce M. a long time Olineman for the Oilers, and now the possibility of his son Jake becoming the next in their NFL line of outstanding players. Talk about the apples not falling far from the tree... Bc

How can you honestly include Matt Kalil though? He's not taken a snap in the NFL. He could bust out easily.

Tyron Smith? He was a RT last year who is being given a shot at LT. Oher was a damn good RT too his rookie year and when they moved him over to LT...well...we saw how that went.

Becuase I think he will be top 5 by the end of this year. I could be wrong but he looks as close to a guarantee as I have seen since Jake Long/Joe Thomas. He comes from a good program, has the bloodlines, and he pushed tyron Smith to the right, who as I mentioned came into the NFL and played RT at a very high level.

what I learned most about compiling 15 names is tha there aren't close to 15 good LT's in football. That's why players like Duane Brown get listed. Not because they are good, btu because they ar ebetter then the garbage trotted out by most teams.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    from Lobachevsky :
    3. *Jake Matthews, Texas A&M, 6-5/305
    Matthews is the son of Pro Football Hall of Famer Bruce Matthews...

reply : Just wanted to comment about the Matthews family. Clay Sr. and Jr. NFL LBs, Bruce M. a long time Olineman for the Oilers, and now the possibility of his son Jake becoming the next in their NFL line of outstanding players. Talk about the apples not falling far from the tree... Bc
    Jerry Rice Jr. is I believe #2 or #3 as a freshman receiver at UCLA and Barry Sanders Jr is at Stanford right now as the #2/#3 RB on the depth chart.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    Becuase I think he will be top 5 by the end of this year. I could be wrong but he looks as close to a guarantee as I have seen since Jake Long/Joe Thomas. He comes from a good program, has the bloodlines, and he pushed tyron Smith to the right, who as I mentioned came into the NFL and played RT at a very high level.

what I learned most about compiling 15 names is tha there aren't close to 15 good LT's in football. That's why players like Duane Brown get listed. Not because they are good, btu because they ar ebetter then the garbage trotted out by most teams.
    Haha, there really isn't huh?

It kind of supports the notion that the LT or the idea of a premier LT isn't as important anymore. That's why I really think that come next year unless there is a specific person that drops to them in the draft that they really cannot live without, Oher will likely be moved back over to LT or whoever wins in a competition between Oher and KO will get the nod.

Blog Entries

Jerry Rice Jr. is I believe #2 or #3 as a freshman receiver at UCLA and Barry Sanders Jr is at Stanford right now as the #2/#3 RB on the depth chart.
    Cue entire stadium full of fans on their feet & chanting

D! N! A!
    D! N! A!

Haha, there really isn't huh?

It kind of supports the notion that the LT or the idea of a premier LT isn't as important anymore. That's why I really think that come next year unless there is a specific person that drops to them in the draft that they really cannot live without, Oher will likely be moved back over to LT or whoever wins in a competition between Oher and KO will get the nod.
    I shudder to think.
    Sure LT is not important when you have Drew Brees...
    I sauppose eli is a fairly good comparative though.
    I'm not suggesting trading up to reach, simply if they see the right guy at the right value point. they shouldn't hesitate to jump, it will be, to me, the biggest weakness for the team coming up to next years draft and should be treated as such. I don't see a legit FA option being available, and think they need to AT LEAST get a guy that can come in and compete with Oher.

Next years draft looks to be much deeper in some positions where there has been a severe lack of depth at over the years.

Safety, ILB, and interior OL look to be much deeper than we are used to.

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    I shudder to think.
    Sure LT is not important when you have Drew Brees...
    I sauppose eli is a fairly good comparative though.
    I'm not suggesting trading up to reach, simply if they see the right guy at the right value point. they shouldn't hesitate to jump, it will be, to me, the biggest weakness for the team coming up to next years draft and should be treated as such. I don't see a legit FA option being available, and think they need to AT LEAST get a guy that can come in and compete with Oher.
    I'll put it like this, if Joe Flacco takes his game to an elite level this year the Oline won't be as big of a problem. The Giants had a terrible Oline and poor running game for most of last year but Eli Manning overcame that. Elite QBs mask problem areas for the most part, I love Joe but if he's going to be elite he will have to make things better around him. He's having the best offseason and training camp of his career so he has a good chance to breakout.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SugarRay52 View Post
    I'll put it like this, if Joe Flacco takes his game to an elite level this year the Oline won't be as big of a problem. The Giants had a terrible Oline and poor running game for most of last year but Eli Manning overcame that. Elite QBs mask problem areas for the most part, I love Joe but if he's going to be elite he will have to make things better around him. He's having the best offseason and training camp of his career so he has a good chance to breakout.
    It's not just on the QB though...a lot of it has to do with the offensive coordinator and the game plan.

*Cue the anti-Cam vs pro-Cam arguments...*

This isn't about whether or not Cam is or is not a good coordinator. This is simply a statement that a good game plan and a good coordinator knows how to play to the strengths of the team and game plan around weaknesses. The game plan should be looked at from a probability stance. For example, when playing Pittsburgh, if Michael Oher and Bryant McKinnie can nullify Lamarr Woodley and James Harrison 5 out of 9 plays where Joe is performing a 5-7 step drop, then there is a higher probability for a win because more points will be scored because those were deeper routes, which move the offense down the field quicker...etc etc etc.

Pittsburgh's OL has been banged up and pretty lackluster for years, the Giants had to shuffle their OL around last year big time, the Packers have had a lot of inconsistent faces on their OL and guys out of position (supposedly), The Saints have had a really strong interior OL and a really weak exterior OL...

Granted, those are all teams with elite QB's - no doubt - but their offensive coordinators also have game planned to the strengths of the team. They're letting their players dictate the offense and not the other way around. That's how it should be. Again, I'm NOT bashing Cam. If he continues to game plan and execute a game plan like we saw the 2nd half of the Arizona game last year or against the Patriots in the AFCCG, then having a premier LT won't really make much of a difference.

IMO, having a stout G-C-G combination is (not only easier to accommodate) significantly more important than having premier tackles because when the interior of your OL collapses, it is going to instantly flush the QB to the right or left and - odds are - right into the arms of a DE/LB or the feet/legs of his own teammate. Think about it, against the Patriots Mark Anderson and Rob Ninkovic (both good pass rushers) really weren't the main culprits for the pressure on Flacco. It was pretty much all Wilfork and their interior DL'men just pushing Birk, Grubbs, and Yanda around.

Would I love to see the Ravens get a Michael Roos or Andrew Whitworth at LT? You betcha...but I'd much rather see them get an interior combination of like Carl Nicks - Jon Goodwin - Jahari Evans. Or TJ Lang - Scott Wells - Josh Sitton.