Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

What did we pay for again?

Last year:

Boller @ DEN, 10 points scored, 1 TDs, 2 INTs, rating of 65.2.

This year:

McNair @ DEN, 3 pts scored, 0 TDs, 3 INTs, rating of 34.6. :grbac:

And this tidbit from the Scum Paper:

"In fact, it's worth noting that both Kyle Boller and Anthony Wright had better passer ratings last season than McNair has now."

How long until the "he needs to learn the offense" excuse is no longer valid?

I thought I saw some improvement against SD but Monday night was clearly a huge step backwards. I'd expect someone of McNair's pedigree to get better each week.

FHRaven

Re: What did we pay for again?

Mac played bad, and he took the complete blame.

No excuses for that.

Our Offense as a whole needs to play better.

McNair sucked...nobody can defend that performance Monday Night.

Curious...what made you think he turned any corner in teh San Diego game?

Honestly, I think McNair played pretty well against Tampa, but every other game, he has made me scratch my head numerous times.

They're both good guys and both should be utilized. Play McNair in the 1st quarter (Boller starts slow) and in the 4th quarter. (for those patented comebacks)

Play Boller in the 2nd and 3rd, for the strong arm and legs.

That rests McNair and gives Kyle more experience with Steve there to give him tips.

McNair is not our future but is our 'now'.

Boller may not be our 'now' but he may be our future.

"Quarterback by committee"? Yeah, so what? If this plan fails, then it is definitely the system so nothing is lost, till coaching changes have to be considered.
    ENFORCE THE 1ST AMENDMENT WITH THE SECOND, NEVER DISARM

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    McNair sucked...nobody can defend that performance Monday Night.

Curious...what made you think he turned any corner in teh San Diego game?

Honestly, I think McNair played pretty well against Tampa, but every other game, he has made me scratch my head numerous times.
    It seemed like he was a little more on target but bad things were just happening. The Mason miss in the sun and the Wilcox fumble for example. Maybe it was just the afterglow of being 4 - 0.

FHRaven

The problems with the offense go beyond McNair, but he really has been a disappointment, especially in this game. Three interceptions and no touchdowns, and three points total? If Boller had done that, fans would have wanted to bury him alive.

I mentioned this in another thread, but I really think that more imaginitive playcalling might improve matters. We rarely throw on first down, and we hardly ever throw deep. If we opened up the playcalling a little bit, McNair might have a better chance to make some plays.

Southeast England,where the only Raven flag flutters.

Any QB in this offense should not turn the ball over, period.It is a cardinal sin for a ball control offense to turn the ball over.

I put it down to McNair playing bad,and the Bronco's defense playing great.

We had that game there for the taking.And McNair gave the ball away in the redzone.I am a McNair pimp,but that damn well made me spit up bile.
    Put the smile back on your face.This is a 60 minute ball game.

Quote Originally Posted by highwater View Post
    We rarely throw on first down, and we hardly ever throw deep.
    This point was raised on the Brian Billick show and Brian cited some statistics he had access to that contradicted this.

It just isnt true, unless the statistics used by Brian are wrong or he lied about it. Seems unlikely to me.

You do of course have to quantify what you mean by "rarely throw", but the number surprised me. It was a lot more often than I thought eventhough I can't remember the exact number now.

If you didnt catch the Brian Billick show, you can listen to it once it comes up on the official homepage.

I havent heard a number on the deep throws, but I tend to agree there. Pretty much never comes to mind.

Look, it's no secret that the offensive woes don't hang on McNair, just like no matter how much people really closed their eyes and screamed LA LA LA it didn't hang on Boller either. The offensive line is bad, and sometimes this team simply does not come out to play, and that is a coaching issue.

But I will never stop thinking we should have taken that money we ponied up to McNair, and gone out and gotten a quality OL starter at center or RG.

I will say this though. McNair has already done in 5 games what many have bitched about Boller doing in 3 years. He's tripped over his own feet, and the center's feet. He's fumbled the ball without being touched. And now he has more interceptions than touchdowns.

And for their part, the offensive line still can't run block. They can pass block once in a while. They can't pull, push, or even stand still without getting thrown to the ground. And when they are upright they are committing penalties that even cost us touchdowns. Receivers are dropping key passes.

This is why I never had my head buried in the sand at 4-0 because of a couple of lucky fourth quarter drives. SOMETHING HAS TO CHANGE AND IT HAS TO CHANGE NOW!!! Folks, like I've been saying the last 2 weeks, we're just hitting the meat of our schedule now. Carolina, then the bye. Then AT New Orleans. And don't forget we haven't even played Cincy or Pittsburgh yet.

I couldn't agree more Stinger. The O-line and the playcalling are the downfall of this team. Our QB's will never get a fair shake at this thing if this shit continues.

I DO NOT understand why no changes are being made. It has been long enough of this bullshit. The play-calling and the stubborness of our staff frustrates me to no end.

Although, I'll say that Jason Brown will improve this line. I think it'll make them closer to adequate for this season

But you're telling me that an offense of Todd Heap, Derrick Mason, Mark Clayton, Mike Anderson, Musa Smith, Jamal Lewis, Steve McNair, and even a big play threat in Demetrius Williams can't produce? Jamal may be done, and our RB's behind him are more than adequate. Hell, I'd rather see P.J. Daniels or Cory Ross come in and be the 3rd back behind Mike and Musa.

After Monday, I thought the O-line was good ENOUGH. They aren't the sole scape goat in this. It's the coaching and the blind loyalty to NOT demote guys like Jamal Lewis and Mike Flynn/Keydrick Vincent.

I think one thing people are forgetting in that McNair-Moore-Fasselick debacle is that a play or 2 earlier, they called a short screen pass to Clayton that at the very least looked like Clayton could have gotten to the 1 or 2 yard line tha tMcNair just threw 5 yards over Claytons head.

Clayton had 2 pblockers in front of him blocking 2 defenders...you can't miss guys that are 5 yards away and wide open.

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    I think one thing people are forgetting in that McNair-Moore-Fasselick debacle is that a play or 2 earlier, they called a short screen pass to Clayton that at the very least looked like Clayton could have gotten to the 1 or 2 yard line tha tMcNair just threw 5 yards over Claytons head.

Clayton had 2 pblockers in front of him blocking 2 defenders...you can't miss guys that are 5 yards away and wide open.
    Exactly. That's the kind of play that had me very concerned. McNair should make that pass 99% of the time. Now it seems he can't. So either he's injured and hiding it or he body has broken down and he can't do it. Neither choice is comforting.

FHRaven