Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Re: OT: earthquake discussion - no jokes, please!

Quote Originally Posted by NOLARavenFAN View Post
    Nothing here in Louisiana......
    Now there is an understatement.

j/k :)

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    For those who want to joke about this scary event, I set up a pinned thread for earthquake jokes here:

http://www.ravens24x7.com/forum/showthread.php?t=72586

Sorry to have removed the jokes from here, but mixing jokes with near-death tales doesn't fit.
    that's just weird all the way around.

I rushed my 2 sons out of my 100 year old brick rowhome (it doesn't get more serious that that to me), but still posted the Who's cover of "shakin' all over" on my music forum 'cause it's Moon's birthday.

overly sensitive, faux gravely serious board posters/moderaters are humorous.

Blog Entries

In reference to the joke ban, apparently because making jokes about an earthquake that resulted in no fatalities or serious injuries, even though it was felt by 50 million + people, is improperly irreverent...

Quote Originally Posted by MachineJerk View Post
    that's just weird all the way around.
    ... THANK YOU. For the good of this board I hope future moderation is less reflexive and more reserved in the future. If humor is banned and/or segregated over this, of all things, what reservation of moderation over control can we expect on other threads?
    Last edited by Flipping Birdie; 08-23-2011 at 08:15 PM.
    "A lot" is a two word expression denoting a great deal or greatly, as in "I like sunshine a lot." "Alot" is a lovable imaginary grammar monster. You can love a lot; you can love an alot; you can love alots a lot; but they are not the same thing.

Re: OT: Holt shit! Did you feel that earthquake?

Quote Originally Posted by TL24x7 View Post
    Glad this didn't happen on Thursday night.
    :word
    Living in Houston, Tx....still living, eating, breathing the Ravens

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Flipping Birdie View Post
    Near death tales? I inferred it on the other "funny" thread and I'm going to say it explicitly here: separating *serious* and *funny* posts for a non-fatal, zero reported serious injury event is loopy and control freakish.
    I agre.. some of these new mods are taking the job a little to seriously and taking away from the site. I'm starting to get a little annoyed by it

Quote Originally Posted by Brtnder81 View Post
    I agre.. some of these new mods are taking the job a little to seriously and taking away from the site. I'm starting to get a little annoyed by it
    Oh relax.

Everyone reacts differently to these kid of events. Hate to break it to you but Mods are .... wait for it .... human!

I know that's counter-intuitive to your apparent desire for them / us to not be emotional as the rest of humanity but to expect otherwise is what is annoying.

There is always the Sun Message Boards if you're that annoyed.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Oh relax.

Everyone reacts differently to these kid of events. Hate to break it to you but Mods are .... wait for it .... human!

I know that's counter-intuitive to your apparent desire for them / us to not be emotional as the rest of humanity but to expect otherwise is what is annoying.

There is always the Sun Message Boards if you're that annoyed.
    But isn't one of the biggest problems with the Sun Message Boards is that the moderators are crazy and overreact? I'm not saying that's the case with Ravens24/7, but it is sort of the case with this single topic.
    "A lot" is a two word expression denoting a great deal or greatly, as in "I like sunshine a lot." "Alot" is a lovable imaginary grammar monster. You can love a lot; you can love an alot; you can love alots a lot; but they are not the same thing.

But isn't one of the biggest problems with the Sun Message Boards is that the moderators are crazy and overreact? I'm not saying that's the case with Ravens24/7, but it is sort of the case with this single topic.
    I don't know since I never visited their site.

T reacted. He wasn't crazy and didn't overreact, IMO.

To expect us to be emotional robots is a bad expectation, that's all I'm saying.

You also have to understand that board traffic is through the roof with the influx of new posters. It's less about overreaction and more about controling the boards to keep the content manageable.

Truthfully, these threads never should have been on the 24x7 board. They're not football related. Overmoderation on them frankly shouldn't be discussion worthy.

- C -
    ---------------------------------------------------

www.oblongspheroid.com

A blog about any and everything football.

Twitter: oblong_spheroid

PS - You're fooling yourself if you think it's just the new mods that are taking heavy handed action on the board right now. The old mods are doing the same. Do you think we manage this site willy-nilly? We discuss standards for moderation, what belongs, what doesn't, what should be merged, what shouldn't, etc. It's not like Stinger, HR and I are the only ones on the board moving and merging things to keep the main board readable.

- C -
    ---------------------------------------------------

www.oblongspheroid.com

A blog about any and everything football.

Twitter: oblong_spheroid

No Birdie, it's actually the opposite.

Let me speak frankly. None of us moderators just got here. We've all pretty much been board members from the beginning of this forum, even though HR, PSU, and I just became moderators. So it's not like we have no experience with what we'd like the board to be like.

If it seems like we are moving a lot and merging a lot of threads, it's because we are doing what we were asked to do, which is keep the board clean and manageable. And now moreso than ever because of the influx of our new friends who came over from Sunspot BECAUSE of the way it was run. We're not just willy-nilly merging and moving things so we can twirl our mustaches (well, those who can anyway) and rub our hands together. It's for the betterment of the forum so you guys have a place that is easy to navigate, clean, and readable; without 15 threads about the Bryant McKinnie signing or how Jared Gaither is going to do in Kansas City. And ALL the mods work pretty hard at it for an unpaid thing we do simply out of love for the forum and for what Tony and Steve set up here.

I'll tell you straight out, I'm a little more heavy handed in it than maybe the other guys. But it's for good reason and it's so you have a nice place to come that isn't gummed up like the others. I'm sorry if that isn't to anyone's satisfaction, but this is the way it is with me.

Wink Re: OT: earthquake discussion - no jokes, please!

Jeez - this is still being discussed? How long have you been here, Flippin', to not have noticed that we sporadically post special major interest OT threads that are not Ravens related? Going back to the predecessor RN2 and Scout message boards, special "crisis" discussions have been held on subjects including 9/11, Hurricane Isabel, the back-to-back 30+" snowstorms etc. When the "crisis" phase is over, the threads get moved.

In this case, some started humor, others were more interested in serious discussion about the earthquake, damages, aftershock, etc. I responded to a complaint (which I agreed with), so i split the discussion between serious and jokes. Not trying to offend anyone here, just maintain the peace on a judgement call.

You have no idea how much complaining there is: some want more moderation, others want less. We really try to avoid over-moderation, but it is impossible to please everyone.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).