Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Suggs and Guns

Blog Entries

Re: Suggs and Guns

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    I believe everything was resolved. I remember she had a lawsuit against Suggs, but she withdrew it. Maybe Suggs paid a settlement too.
    Is this from the incident where she sued for 75million after he signed his 75 million dollar contract?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Random Thoughts View Post
    I am not sure if the incident in KC has any bearing on his wife or the wife's attorneys since Suggs surrounded the firearms last month?

Off the point, I do not believe this is not the first time we read about a domestic issue between Suggs and his wife? Why don't they just divorce/break up already? (i know it is a simplistic view, but I just dont get it).
    sorry, i must have missed that. I thought he surrendered them this week, which was the point of the article. clearly theres even less point to the article.

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    I believe everything was resolved. I remember she had a lawsuit against Suggs, but she withdrew it. Maybe Suggs paid a settlement too.
    I think the incident that started it was resolved but it sounds like theyre figuring out custody of the kids, which is still considered a "dispute" i believe.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

Ask and ye shall receive...

Firearm Prohibitions for Persons Subject to Domestic Violence Restraining/Protective Orders

In Maryland, persons named as a respondent against whom a “non ex parte civil protective order” has been issued are prohibited from possessing a handgun or assault weapon.3 Moreover, no person may sell, rent or transfer a handgun or assault weapon to a person who is subject to a current “non ex parte civil protective order” issued pursuant to Md. Code Ann., Fam. Law § 4-506.4 Federal law also prohibits the purchase and possession of firearms and ammunition by certain domestic violence protective order defendants.

Removal or Surrender of Firearms When Domestic Violence Restraining/Protective Orders Are Issued

A final domestic violence protective order issued under Maryland Code Ann., Family Law § 4-506 must order the person subject to the order to surrender to law enforcement any firearm in his or her possession, and to refrain from possession of any firearm for the duration of the protective order.5

Maryland authorizes, but does not require, courts issuing temporary domestic violence protective orders to require the subject of such order to surrender all firearms in the person’s possession and require that the person refrain from gun possession for the duration of the temporary order.6 The court may order the surrender of guns in these instances if the abuse consisted of:

Use of a firearm by the respondent against the person to be protected;

Threat by the respondent to use a firearm against the person to be protected;

Serious bodily harm by the respondent to a person to be protected; or

Threat by the respondent to cause serious bodily harm to a person to be protected.7

Law enforcement receiving a firearm lawfully surrendered must transport and store the firearm safely while the protective order is in effect.8 Maryland law addresses the retaking of possession of the firearm at the expiration of a protective order.9

Removal or Surrender of Firearms at the Scene of a Domestic Violence Incident

Maryland allows a law enforcement officer responding to an alleged domestic violence incident to remove a firearm from the scene if he or she: 1) has probable cause to believe an act of domestic violence has occurred; and 2) observed the firearm on the scene during the response.10 The officer must provide information to the owner regarding the process for retrieving the firearm and must provide safe storage for the firearm during any related domestic violence legal proceeding.11 The owner may resume possession of the firearm at the conclusion of legal proceedings related to the domestic violence incident, unless ordered by a court to surrender the weapon.12

http://smartgunlaws.org/domestic-vio...s-in-maryland/
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post

Firearm Prohibitions for Persons Subject to Domestic Violence Restraining/Protective Orders

In Maryland, persons named as a respondent against whom a “non ex parte civil protective order” has been issued are prohibited from possessing a handgun or assault weapon.3 Moreover, no person may sell, rent or transfer a handgun or assault weapon to a person who is subject to a current “non ex parte civil protective order” issued pursuant to Md. Code Ann., Fam. Law § 4-506.4 Federal law also prohibits the purchase and possession of firearms and ammunition by certain domestic violence protective order defendants.

Removal or Surrender of Firearms When Domestic Violence Restraining/Protective Orders Are Issued

A final domestic violence protective order issued under Maryland Code Ann., Family Law § 4-506 must order the person subject to the order to surrender to law enforcement any firearm in his or her possession, and to refrain from possession of any firearm for the duration of the protective order.5

Maryland authorizes, but does not require, courts issuing temporary domestic violence protective orders to require the subject of such order to surrender all firearms in the person’s possession and require that the person refrain from gun possession for the duration of the temporary order.6 The court may order the surrender of guns in these instances if the abuse consisted of:

Threat by the respondent to cause serious bodily harm to a person to be protected.7

Law enforcement receiving a firearm lawfully surrendered must transport and store the firearm safely while the protective order is in effect.8 Maryland law addresses the retaking of possession of the firearm at the expiration of a protective order.9

Maryland allows a law enforcement officer responding to an alleged domestic violence incident to remove a firearm from the scene if he or she: 1) has probable cause to believe an act of domestic violence has occurred; and 2) observed the firearm on the scene during the response.10 The officer must provide information to the owner regarding the process for retrieving the firearm and must provide safe storage for the firearm during any related domestic violence legal proceeding.11 The owner may resume possession of the firearm at the conclusion of legal proceedings related to the domestic violence incident, unless ordered by a court to surrender the weapon.12

Sounds Unconstitutional to me at the very core. If there is no crime then there are no grounds. Don't start a political debate with me, I am simply stating Constitutional fact.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Silver View Post
    Sounds Unconstitutional to me at the very core. If there is no crime then there are no grounds. Don't start a political debate with me, I am simply stating Constitutional fact.
    I don't disagree with you. I was just merely stating why they had Suggs surrender his firearms.

I don't agree with the statutes at all. Completely unconstitutional and incriminating before a crime has been committed.

I don't own a lot of guns, but I do enjoy target shooting. I have a CCP in Virginia and several other states (reciprocity) and my wife and I are going to be moving to Maryland in a year. Not looking forward to being unable to carry.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Moved thread to the more appropriate forum, since its now morphed into a discussion about the pros and cons of guns and gun laws ....

The USA Today has a feature in their issue today on NFL players and guns. They claim that "three out of four players own a handgun". My immediate reaction was "what the hell is wrong with the fourth player"?

This MD law is an extension of the Lautenburg Ammendment surrounding firearms and domestic violence. To my knowledge, the constituionality has not been challenged.

I'd also be willing to bet Suggs shipped the weapons out of state. That's a quick way to dodge the law and shows just how silly the law really is.
    Last edited by HoustonRaven; 12-07-2012 at 11:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Moved thread to the more appropriate forum, since its now morphed into a discussion about the pros and cons of guns and gun laws ....

The USA Today has a feature in their issue today on NFL players and guns. They claim that "three out of four players own a handgun". My immediate reaction was "what the hell is wrong with the fourth player"?

This MD law is an extension of the Lautenburg Ammendment surrounding firearms and domestic violence. To my knowledge, the constituionality has not been challenged.
    I wouldn't be surprised those statutes have been challenged. Our legal system makes those cases difficult to challenge without at least a backing of a state's governing body.

I wish our legal system has a constitutional council similar to the French's. France's Constitutional Council can initiate a constitutional review of a legislation if it wants to without a party brings it to the Council's attention, unlike ours.

Quote Originally Posted by Random Thoughts View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised those statutes have been challenged. Our legal system makes those cases difficult to challenge without at least a backing of a state's governing body.

I wish our legal system has a constitutional council similar to the French's. France's Constitutional Council can initiate a constitutional review of a legislation if it wants to without a party brings it to the Council's attention, unlike ours.
    I'm sure they've passed the state Supreme Court. But I'd be shocked if they passed on a federal level and its that level to which I was referring.

Heller is the only instance that I'm aware of where the Constitutionality of a gun law / restriction was challenged and rejected by SCOTUS.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post

Thank you. That explains it. I don't agree with it but it explains it.

I don't own any guns and never have. Watching Top Shot is about the extent of my interest in guns. However I support the constitutional rights of those who do and am sympathetic to the seemingly endless fight to keep protect those rights.
    Last edited by GOTA; 12-07-2012 at 11:17 AM.

Blog Entries

is there a maximum they can ask for as far as length that its ceased? If not id question that, because i believe you can just keep renewing a retraining order? If thats the case theres something seriously wrong with it as its basically a technicality for taking your right away without cause, or at least a non-connected cause.

On the other hand removing the weapon from a hostile environment isnt really any different than allowing "persons of interest" to not leave a state or country. while the dispute is being worked out i can see why its so even if it isnt my personal opinion. taking them im sure has prevented more serious crimes if only minimally while the negative is inconveniencing somebody that has a "domestic violence" charge against them. granted they could be completely innocent, but thats why its only suppose to be temporary to begin with. Dont want your gun taken away, dont put yourself in a position where this scenario can happen.
    -JAB

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    I'm sure they've passed the state Supreme Court. But I'd be shocked if they passed on a federal level and its that level to which I was referring.

Heller is the only instance that I'm aware of where the Constitutionality of a gun law / restriction was challenged and rejected by SCOTUS.
    McDonald is another case, but it specifically applies to state.

The McDonald case is something that gun right proponents can use to support their claim, but I am not sure about the applicability to Maryland statutes... I can only imagine that those statutes can be challenged by using McDonald case along with Heller.

Blog Entries

I am not a gun owner. I think there should be laws making assault weapons, or 'heavy weapons' harder to get, but I am a big believer in the Constitution and it is pretty clear on the 2nd Amendment.

Challenging MD law would take cash, but I could easily see it falling. For all the NRA does making noise about presidents, it seems to do a crappy job fighting the obvious.

As for Suggs, if he feels the need as NFL player to protect himself, I have no problem. My problem is the state prejudging Suggs or any other person in lawful possession of a gun under similar circumstances.