Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

PFF - Houston - Limited by Yates

Nothing we didn't already know, maybe the Texans fans would like to chime in.

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog...e-exploitable/

Houston: Limited by Yates

By Rodney Hart Jr.

It may seem unfair to Texans fans to list T.J. Yates (-2.2 overall) as a weakness in a world where Tim Tebow (-7.1 overall) has been hailed by many as the reason the Broncos made it to the playoffs despite his glaring deficiencies. Yes, in light of season-ending injuries to both Matt Schaub and Matt Leinart, it might be more appropriate to commend Yates for not only helping the Texans clinch their franchise’s first postseason berth, but win their first postseason game.

After outshining fellow rookie Andy Dalton in last week’s 31-10 victory, he now moves on to the more formidable, veteran-laden Baltimore Ravens. Consider that he will be trying lead the Texans’ offense past a Ravens defense with guys like Ray Lewis, who’s been playing linebacker for Baltimore since Yates was in middle school. To this point, there is nothing about his play to suggest he can’t do it, but more importantly there is nothing about his play that suggests he can either.

To date in his very brief career, Yates has had moments that suggest eventually he could be a player that causes a lot of head scratching when trying to figure out why he wasn’t drafted earlier than the fifth-round. I stress, eventually. After winning the first two games he started, the second of which was his best (+1.2) and clinched a postseason berth with a critical touchdown pass, he started to look a little more like a mistake-prone rookie then the savvy game-manager he appeared in his first few games.

One such game was his (-3.1) performance against Carolina in Week 15. After the Panthers jumped out to an early lead, Yates was forced to be less reliant on play action, and without the threat of the run he finished 9-of-18 passing after starting 10-of-12–that’s a drop-off from 83% completion to 50%. Additionally, Yates threw two interceptions to end the game, the most egregious being one he threw in the end zone late in the fourth quarter that sealed the loss. He may be ready to manage games, but if the Texans fall to an early deficit, their future will be in a precarious position.

Another concerning factor is Yates’ performance under pressure. In total, Yates has dropped back to pass 178 times. Below are his stats when under no pressure compared to when he is challenged by a rush:

Pressure.......Dropbacks.......Completion %....Touchdowns......QB Rating...PFF Grade

No Pressure .....121.................61.7% .................4...................89.9........+2.4

Pressure............57...................56.4% ................0....................63.0.........-3.1

Among the 47 quarterbacks who have played at least 100 snaps this season, Yates’ 17 sacks on 57 plays under pressure (31.3%) is the second-highest rate, topped only by Caleb Hanie’s (34.5%). Even in last week’s 31-10 victory over the Bengals, on eight plays under pressure, Yates took two sacks and completed just two passes. Fortunately for the Texans, it was only eight plays.

The bad news this week is that the Ravens are a team capable of forcing Yates into facing either one or both of these issues. Collectively, the Ravens are PFF’s highest-rated run defense team at (+159.6) led by the likes of Terrell Suggs (+22.1 run grade) and Ray Lewis (+17.7 run grade) among a list of many others. If they’re capable of limiting Arian Foster (+19.7) and the Houston O-line, Yates won’t have the play-action threat to help open up his receiving options.

Given his struggles against the Panthers’ pass defense (-28.5) a few weeks ago, it could be ugly against a stingy Ravens pass D (+30.9). Oh yeah, the Ravens also have a few pass rushers like Suggs (+10.3 pass rush grade) and Pernell McPhee (+17.1) who will likely put Yates’ pocket presence to the test. Unless he proves better against the rush then he’s shown so far, the Yates fairy tale will end Sunday in Baltimore.

2. Re: PFF - Houston - Limited by Yates

They (the Texans) have a lot going against them in this match-up.
    1) Andre Johnson still ain't right from his hammie & knee injuries
    2) Owen Daniels has a broken hand (not 100% sure if this will limit him though)
    3) The Ravens will be hell bent on stopping Arian Foster
    4) Yates will see pressure like he has never seen pressure before.

The more I think about it, the more I see a game similar to the 49ers. I just don't see how the Texans are going to put TD's on the board.

Re: PFF - Houston - Limited by Yates

Suggs and JJ won't be letting the stretch plays get past them. It's what JJ does best

Some pathetic tackling by the Bengals, just embarrassing, that won't happen here

4. Re: PFF - Houston - Limited by Yates

Quote Originally Posted by Irish Raven View Post
    Suggs and JJ won't be letting the stretch plays get past them. It's what JJ does best

Some pathetic tackling by the Bengals, just embarrassing, that won't happen here
    That "attempt" of a tackle by Crockett was one of the worst I've ever seen.

I don't think Yates has even played a game against a 3-4 defense: Jacksonville, Atlanta, Cincinnati x2, Carolina, Indy and Tennessee. Not that that proves he'll have trouble against a 3-4 it just shows how little experience he really has in the league. Look the guy has done a hell of a lot better than expected given his situation, and I understand that Kubiak has a QB friendly system, but he just hasn't faced a defense like the Ravens. Cincinnati is pretty good but they are vanilla and were totally undisciplined in the playoff game (not to mention dropping a pick-6). How's he going to react to zone blitzes, unbalanced lines, constant shifting, etc.? And doing all of that in the loudest or second loudest stadium. Not trying to be over-confident but there is no better matchup for the Ravens among playoff teams.

What this means to me is that it is important for the Ravens' offense to get off the schneid early. Yates seems to play a lot worse when trailing, so here's hoping Flacco, Rice & Co. will score on the first few possessions.

Quote Originally Posted by Knox Harrington View Post
    They (the Texans) have a lot going against them in this match-up.
    1) Andre Johnson still ain't right from his hammie & knee injuries
    2) Owen Daniels has a broken hand (not 100% sure if this will limit him though)
    3) The Ravens will be hell bent on stopping Arian Foster
    4) Yates will see pressure like he has never seen pressure before.

The more I think about it, the more I see a game similar to the 49ers. I just don't see how the Texans are going to put TD's on the board.
    My thoughts:

1. Not worried about AJ being fine. Word I hear is he looks like AJ--all the rest they gave him was because we clenched early.

2. OD looks fine. Limited in practice because that is what Kubiak does with dinged guys on Friday. He played most of the last game with his hand dinged. We don't know what the injury is exactly because Texans didn't confirm.

3. Arian Foster had his worst game against BAL. He apologized to fans after the game because of his mistakes. The numbers demonstrate that Foster has gotten better as the season progressed. As you may recall, he started the season with a hamstring injury.

4. Likely.

The Texans liked Yates because had a ton of college starts, was resilient even during bad times in college, mature, and ran pretty much the same offense the Texans run. Yates watched tape of Schaub in college.

The Texans were one of the teams that had a bunch of guys in organized workouts during lockout. Yates came early, and the only throwers were Yates and Schaub because Leinart did not have a contract with any team.

When training camp started, Yates took a bleep ton of snaps. At the time, I worried his arm was going to come off. Leinart was signed, but couldn't practice the first week due to the free agent signing rules. Before he became starter, he faced the Texans first team defense in most practices. Perhaps it isn't the Ravens, but their pass rush is rather stout.

When Andre Johnson was coming back from his first, more serious hamstring injury, Yates the the quarterback who he worked on individually on the side field.

Yates in some ways is like Schaub--you want to keep him out of rhythm. He can be errant early in games with adrenaline and tends to settle down. Opposing offenses need to take advantage of 3 and outs. Fortunately, the Texans defense has helped buy time until TJ can get his mess together more often than not. (VERY LIMITED SAMPLE SIZE).

It was very impressive to see how he reacted his very first game. Leinart gets cheapshotted out of the game. Nobody at that moment knows he is hurt. He just walked to the sideline without showing he was hurt. Texans are running 2 minute drill. Yates runs to the huddle and basically what ups the guys, and starts driving them down the field, with passes that look much better than most of the ones Leinart was throwing. Against a decent Jags defense. Very composed in the huddle.

We are very thankful to Yates for whatever he can give us.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by chicagoravensfan View Post
    I don't think Yates has even played a game against a 3-4 defense: Jacksonville, Atlanta, Cincinnati x2, Carolina, Indy and Tennessee. Not that that proves he'll have trouble against a 3-4 it just shows how little experience he really has in the league. Look the guy has done a hell of a lot better than expected given his situation, and I understand that Kubiak has a QB friendly system, but he just hasn't faced a defense like the Ravens. Cincinnati is pretty good but they are vanilla and were totally undisciplined in the playoff game (not to mention dropping a pick-6). How's he going to react to zone blitzes, unbalanced lines, constant shifting, etc.? And doing all of that in the loudest or second loudest stadium. Not trying to be over-confident but there is no better matchup for the Ravens among playoff teams.
    Heard this for the first time today - he has NEVER played against a 3-4 defense and he's getting ready to see one of the best. Can't wait.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    Heard this for the first time today - he has NEVER played against a 3-4 defense and he's getting ready to see one of the best. Can't wait.
    Except every day in practice. Most of camp and the year he practiced against Texans first string.

Not the same though because Wade's 3-4 is a little different than most, including the Ravens.

They've been working with constant noise this week. Usually they only play the noise during the play, but this week they are doing it constantly without interruption. The noise the Texans use at their training facility sounds like being next to a orchestra of extremely loud chain saws. I don't know who comes up with that knows but it is an awful, cringing noise that doesn't sound like a crowd to me.

Not making a point, just saying.

Quote Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
    Except every day in practice. Most of camp and the year he practiced against Texans first string.

Not the same though because Wade's 3-4 is a little different than most, including the Ravens.

They've been working with constant noise this week. Usually they only play the noise during the play, but this week they are doing it constantly without interruption. The noise the Texans use at their training facility sounds like being next to a orchestra of extremely loud chain saws. I don't know who comes up with that knows but it is an awful, cringing noise that doesn't sound like a crowd to me.

The Ravens runs a hybrid 3-4 defense at times and the guys he's going against in practice that aren't trying to take his head off.

11. Re: PFF - Houston - Limited by Yates

Quote Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post

You're heart is in the right place, but you're really reaching here.

Btw, the Andre Johnson I saw last week is not the same Andre Johnson I saw last year..... Just sayin.

12. Re: PFF - Houston - Limited by Yates

Sunday cant come soon enough. Texans_chick glad to have you.... I love Houston, i try go there every summer, so i cant hate on the city.

But man i cant see you guys pulling this off, then again, i couldn't see Jacksonville or Seattle pulling off a win either.

Should be a good game, cant wait.
    Lardarius "The predator" Webb