Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Awesome Courtney Upshaw Commercial

I'll second that moving of cars, real or not I don't know, but me and my buddy (approx 205lbs) lifted a smaller car from the rear and spun it sideways for blocking his drive way.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    You don't think Upshaw could have lifted that cheap ass car? That man is country strong.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Forum Runner
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by redmike34 View Post
    I dunno. That looks like a 1990-ish Toyota Corolla, which had a curb weight of 2390 lbs:

http://www.edmunds.com/toyota/coroll...ml?style=&sub=

In flipping it from the side, you obviously don't need to move all of that weight--you're picking it up on a lever, the fulcrum of the lever being the tires on the off-side of the car. Back when I was in engineer school, I could have drawn a free-body diagram and given you a reasonable guess as to how much weight he'd actually have to pick up to do that. As it sits, though, how much weight do you think Upshaw can deadlift? I don't know, but I'm betting that if you can deadlift 800 lbs or so you could maybe do that.

Personal experience here--about 15 years ago, a friend and I turned our other friend's Jeep CJ-whatever sideways in its parking space by picking up the rear and moving it sideways (both of us, at the time, were 6'2, 220-ish and muscleheads). A couple of years ago, a different couple of friends and I lifted another friend's MR2 up onto sandbags so he couldn't drive. I'm a decently strong guy, but I ain't no Upshaw. I think it's possible, particularly if they lightened the car some (removing the engine and transmission would go a long way).
    He could definitely do it if the engine was removed but no way he's overturning a 2800 lb vehicle.

Ever see those strongman competitions on ESPN? Those dudes have issues lifting up the ass end of a VW Beetle just once. Even they wouldn't be able to overturn a Corolla.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    He could definitely do it if the engine was removed but no way he's overturning a 2800 lb vehicle.

Ever see those strongman competitions on ESPN? Those dudes have issues lifting up the ass end of a VW Beetle just once. Even they wouldn't be able to overturn a Corolla.
    First, it's not 2800 lbs--it's 2390. Second, it's a very different situation to try to pick it up from the side than from the ass end. For an analogy, think of it in terms of a concrete block--it is significantly easier to roll a block pushing against the long side than the short side, because you have a better lever around the center of gravity.

Assuming the COG is on the vehicle centerline, it would certainly not take anymore than 2390/2 = 1195 lbs of force to get it started off the ground. However, it will actually will take less than that, because by grabbing at the siderail of the chassis, he's got some mechanical advantage that he would not have if he were lifting from the point at which the tires touch the ground. In other words, he's getting about 7-8" of work for free. I don't know exactly how much that would help, but it would not be insignificant.

According to wikipedia, the world record for unassisted deadlift is 1015 lbs. While I doubt Upshaw's close to that, I've personally known (and watched) a 220-lb guy who could deadlift 600 lbs. I'm guessing Upshaw is significantly stronger than that.

I definitely would not say it's impossible. I'd go so far as to say it's probably be pretty easy for him with the engine/tranny out...

We're arguing minutiae and your own numbers prove my point.

Suppose your math and assumptions are true, he's now in the running for setting a new dead lift record.

He's a strong dude. No doubt about it. But he's not even close to world record type strength.

The commercial is doctored, either via CGI or the car has had a significant amount of weight removed. That's my original point.

We're not arguing minutiae. I think it might only take 800 lbs of lift to do it, even with the engine in, as I said in my first post. This would not represent world-record deadlift strength. You, on the other hand, are saying it's impossible.

Be nice if there were a third year mech eng student around. It's actually not that hard to figure this out. I just don't remember which equation to use...

Yeah, that bridge is still for sale then.

Seriously though, stay up late and watch one of those World Strongest Man shows on ESPN. They have a hard time flipping over 1,100 lb tires just once.

No human on the planet is going to flip an automobile with its interior and engine in tact.
    Last edited by HoustonRaven; 11-10-2012 at 07:49 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Yeah, that bridge is still for sale then.

Seriously though, stay up late and watch one of those World Strongest Man shows on ESPN. They have a hard time flipping over 1,100 lb tires just once.

No human on the planet is going to flip an automobile with its interior and engine in tact.
    You are extremely stubborn and when someone else actually knows what they're talking about, you continue with your hunches and gut feelings as if they hold just as much water.

Now obviously he didn't lift it, but because the team would not stand for him risking injury for a commercial.

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleApocalypse37 View Post
    You are extremely stubborn and when someone else actually knows what they're talking about, you continue with your hunches and gut feelings as if they hold just as much water.

Now obviously he didn't lift it, but because the team would not stand for him risking injury for a commercial.
    And the personal attack on me was for what reason exactly?

Lemme give you some advice. It's a message board. People debate things on message boards. Try and keep up.

10. Re: Awesome Courtney Upshaw Commercial

I don't see that company spending money on CGI for a YouTube commercial, especially for a product that isn't targeted for mainstream consumers. Even if it's also being shown on TV, still...if it's CGI, then why bother with the duct tape on the windshield?

No, it's probably real, but they removed the engine block and whatever else to reduce the weight.

Blog Entries

I think the key is Upshaw has no spotters for this stunt/advert

If the No1 draft pick rookie gets injured on a commercial the team would go crazy, it's surely in his contract not to anything that jeopardising his ability to play ball.

Remember sizzle getting injured and ppl kicking off thinking he may have been playing basketball(!) imagine if the story was he may have been shooting an advert!

No CGI in this one, and the car is probably intact. The trick is you never see the whole car while it is in a position where Courtney would need to be doing some real lifting. The first flip only shows half the car, with Upshaw visible in the front passenger window. I'm sure the other 3 dudes lifting with him were just out of frame. Anytime Courtney moves the car on his own it is either pushing it over in a way that even a smallish woman could (from it's side to it's back for example.)

So yea... simple camera trickery.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron