Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

OT: Sirius/XM to merge

According to today's NY Post. Get ready for a nice subscription hike.
    The Steelers: Still looking for a legit Super Bowl victory.

Blog Entries

Re: OT: Sirius/XM to merge

This has been a rumor for about three months. Looks like it may be fact. Both companies reduced their 4th quarter subscription numbers and shares of both are in the toilet.
    Admin Steve :uk:
    Screwing up Ravens message boards since 1999.

Wink Re: OT: Sirius/XM to merge

Don't be surprised to see Justice quash the merger. The anti-trust lawyers with the blinders on did just that a few years ago to the proposed merger between Direct TV and Dish TV. A Sirius/XM merger should be in the best interest of consumers, by consolidating resources. The marketplace should decide what best for US consumers - not the heirs to the "trust-busters".

I have my doubts about the viability of satellite radio subscription services per se without an increase the services offerred. I can just go out to my car to hear Ravens or political talk on several local AM stations or rock or country music on about 10 Baltimore or DC FM stations. So there's no attraction to me to satellite radio, unless I am renting a car to drive in the remote mountains or desert. However, there could be greater demand for satellite radio if services could be expanded to include two-way communications, video, or greater synergy with GPS applications (already started by XM), or with cellular services.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    Don't be surprised to see Justice quash the merger. The anti-trust lawyers with the blinders on did just that a few years ago to the proposed merger between Direct TV and Dish TV. A Sirius/XM merger should be in the best interest of consumers, by consolidating resources. The marketplace should decide what best for US consumers - not the heirs to the "trust-busters".

I have my doubts about the viability of satellite radio subscription services per se without an increase the services offerred. I can just go out to my car to hear Ravens or political talk on several local AM stations or rock or country music on about 10 Baltimore or DC FM stations. So there's no attraction to me to satellite radio, unless I am renting a car to drive in the remote mountains or desert. However, there could be greater demand for satellite radio if services could be expanded to include two-way communications, video, or greater synergy with GPS applications (already started by XM), or with cellular services.
    You're crazy! Terrestrial radio sucks!! If you're not getting Sirius you don't know what you're missing. Thanks to the jesus freaks in Congress everything in regular radio is awful.
    The Steelers: Still looking for a legit Super Bowl victory.

Satellite radio is great for me. Clear Channel absolutely ruined terrestrial radio in Denver. When I drive my wife's car, which doesn't have Sirius, I have to turn off the radio. One song gets played and then there's 10 minutes of Shane Company commercials. Plus all the stations are owned by by the same company, so they coordinate the commercials to all be on at the same time.

As for passing the DOJ muster, they need to get their heads out of their asses and realize that the broadcasting/entertainment industry has changed in the past 10 years. Having separate satellite companies (Radio and TV) already hurts the consumer, since both companies go out and spend outrageous amounts for exclusive programming (NFL and NASCAR on Sirius, Sunday Ticket & MLB on Directv, etc.), or companies like Disney can charge outrageous fees for channels like ESPN, because they know if a provider doesn't carry the service, the other company will take the subscribers. I'll take my chances on the monthly subscription rates if it means the sat companies no longer get played against each other and have double the bandwidth. Although they don't work for me, there's still terrestrial radio and and cable TV to keeps things competitive.

Quote Originally Posted by Denver John View Post
    Satellite radio is great for me. Clear Channel absolutely ruined terrestrial radio in Denver.
    Ahh, Clear Channel.

If Clear Channel feels threatened, count on Bush administration opposition.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

unedited, I can pause and rewind and not all of us live in big citys with lots of radio stations

Quote Originally Posted by F Angelos View Post
    You're crazy! Terrestrial radio sucks!! If you're not getting Sirius you don't know what you're missing. Thanks to the jesus freaks in Congress everything in regular radio is awful.
    Well said!!!I agree 100%
    Living in Houston, Tx....still living, eating, breathing the Ravens

Wink Re: OT: Sirius/XM to merge

Quote Originally Posted by F Angelos View Post
    I've listened to Sirius or XM many times in rental cars, so I know what I'm not paying for -- thanks just the same. To my knowledge, neither system carries Ravens talk shows. Or traffic reports on DC or Baltimore freeway jams.

As to my being crazy: 95% of radio listeners tune in to local AM or FM stations. Are we all crazy?:insane:
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Sirius has both dc/baltimore weather/traffic reports

Sirius channel 152, updated every 4 minutes

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

"They don't have local talk in regard to news and sports, about 90% of my radio listening. If I want music I put in a CD. I am with T except I see sat radio down the road as offering these things and growing. Cable had little market for years and many asked "why pay for TV when it's free?" Well, now most everybody has cable or satellite.

That being said, I always come in on the tail end of these technologies after all the have-to-havers are in and the volume makes it more affordable. I am still watching regular TV, 27 inch in the family room and 31 in the basement. I can wait until the big HDs are down around $500.

As to my being crazy: 95% of radio listeners tune in to local AM or FM stations. Are we all crazy?
    If 95% of people still listen to AM/FM radio then the fed would have no reason to stop such a merger you'd think. I had given up on FM radio for music years ago (thank god for CD changers and later mp3 head units), but I still tune into AM radio for sports content as long as I'm within range. If I still lived in the Baltimore metro area I would probably still listen to Baltimore AM stations. I can get WBAL 1090 up here in Delaware but since WBAL dropped the O's and Terps I've listened less and less to WBAL. I have sirius right now, and I would welcome a merge with XM because then I'd be able to listen to the Ravens, O's and Terps games no matter where I am on my Sirius Stilletto whether its the 30th Street train station in Philly or at home in Newark, Delaware.