Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Well, they made a section specifically for draft talk, mocks, and scouting reports.

So, if you want to avoid all of those pesky mocks...just don't go to that section of the forum.
    I enjoy draft talk. My point is that it already drags up towards the draft now. Pushing it back is only going to make it worse waiting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Re: Report: League to Move Draft to May, Change Start of League Year to Before Combine

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    I enjoy draft talk. My point is that it already drags up towards the draft now. Pushing it back is only going to make it worse waiting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I can understand that.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Re: Report: League to Move Draft to May, Change Start of League Year to Before Combine

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    why? just wondering what gain they see in the move
    The May date is right in the middle of sweeps. It enables them to charge more for commercials on NFL Network since the ratings are so high every year. It also gives the league some more leverage with the Cable companies so they add the channel. As usual it's all about maximizing revenue for the NFL.

Moving it to May doesn't feel like a big deal to me. The draft seems to almost be in May already. I don't think it hurts anything except for possibly listening to more pre-draft talk, which for us football heads, are still doing post draft talk anyways.

Why? It's bad enough that it was moved to Thursday night.

Not sure why there's so much bashing going on. Waiting three months for anything to happen at all (like we are right now) is excruciating. Spacing out the more active parts of the offseason to reduce that is fine by me.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    The May date is right in the middle of sweeps. It enables them to charge more for commercials on NFL Network since the ratings are so high every year. It also gives the league some more leverage with the Cable companies so they add the channel. As usual it's all about maximizing revenue for the NFL.
    Bingo!
    GOTA nailed the National Financial League dead on.
    at one point of my life I was exactly Pi years old

Oh the horror!

A private enterprise has the nerve to do something that (gasps) might make them more money?!?!?!

These greedy bastards and their successful business. Where do they get off doing things well?!?!?

:D
    Last edited by HoustonRaven; 05-21-2013 at 08:52 AM.

Does anyone know how this plays with the new CBA? This almost certainly will mean compressing the OTAs. Obviously this year we already had our rookie mini camp; under the new plan, it would not happen until June. I wonder if there are restrictions on the frequency of the OTA's. But what's the point of having them until you have your full team (including rookies?) And if you're not going to start them til June, it's going to run straight into training camp.

Another concern is that if this provides a longer vacation for the veterans (I'm looking at you, Bryant McKinnie) that could be a negative for some of our more motivationally-challenged guys.
    "Chin up, chest out."

The article suggest the draft will take place in mid May. OTA's don't start till late May. I don't see an issue there.

If anything, it streamlines the time between the draft and when rookies report. Less time to get in trouble.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HotInHere View Post
    Does anyone know how this plays with the new CBA? This almost certainly will mean compressing the OTAs. Obviously this year we already had our rookie mini camp; under the new plan, it would not happen until June. I wonder if there are restrictions on the frequency of the OTA's. But what's the point of having them until you have your full team (including rookies?) And if you're not going to start them til June, it's going to run straight into training camp.

Another concern is that if this provides a longer vacation for the veterans (I'm looking at you, Bryant McKinnie) that could be a negative for some of our more motivationally-challenged guys.
    Well, a lot of rookies can't even participate in OTA's or minicamps until after the graduate, right? So, it is likely that this won't really impact many rookie minicamps if this is still the case. A lot of colleges don't have graduation until what...end of May? Early June?
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Oh the horror!

A private enterprise has the nerve to do something that (gasps) might make them more money?!?!?!

These greedy bastards and their successful business. Where do they get off doing things well?!?!?

:D
    It's their right to do it but it's important for the consumers of their product to realize that this is not done to put something better out there on the field. If this does happen we're going to hear all sorts of spin by the league making this sound like it was done for football reasons and not financial ones.