Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Does Baltimore have a true NFL quarterback

This was the Cincinnati Bengals we were playing, not the Steelers. I will temper my enthusiasm and see if he can be consistent. I expect the coaching staff to get Smith in as soon as healthy.

Yes we have a qb! You can see it in everything he does and by the look in his eyes. This kid is the real deal.
    FIRE IN THE HOLE!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Puppy View Post
    This was the Cincinnati Bengals we were playing, not the Steelers. I will temper my enthusiasm and see if he can be consistent. I expect the coaching staff to get Smith in as soon as healthy.
    On what grounds? Tell me what Flacco did on Sunday to warrant losing the job.

That said, I do somewhat agree that we shouldn't get crazy yet. We have Houston, Cleveland, and Pittsburgh coming up. He'll get tested further, as will the offensive line.

But you can't deny that what we saw yesterday was finally some real competency from the QB position that could be built on.

I think it was an immense help that unlike Boller who had to start at Pittsburgh, Flacco got his first NFL start at home against a soft opponent. That in the long run may go a long way in this on-the-field development.

I'm excited, and that's the bottom line!!

Wink Re: Does Baltimore have a true NFL quarterback

It would be great to see the first good Baltimore QB since Unitas and Bert Jones. Flacco could develop that way, but, then again, you can't tell much from the performance against the clueless Bengals. Many good signs were there -- especially poise in the pocket and reading his receivers. But he also missed on some easy throws that could have bown the game wide open.

Not to rain on anyone's parade (I, too, was joining in the "Let's Go Flacco!" mania cheers yesterday) -- but his first performance wasn't too different than Kyle Boller's start against a much better Stillers defense on the road. No INTs, but low completion %, not particularly aggressive.

In any event, he performed well enough to keep the starter's job -- unless this game was a fluke or he is injured, all the message board excitement over hiring backups, Smith's health, and Boller's surgery has become irrelevant.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

I expect the coaching staff to get Smith in as soon as healthy.
    Ummm.

Why would you exepect that?

The Flacco era has begun.

PP

On what grounds? Tell me what Flacco did on Sunday to warrant losing the job.
    Bingo, we finally agree on something. I'm excited to see him continue as the Ravens starter.
    WOW! I feel so fortunate that the Ravens did what they had to do to make this happen. Thank you. My Heart is with the Raven....My Heart is with Baltimore and its great fans. What can I say. Here We Go!!! --Ray Lewis
    No, Thank you Ray... :ww:
    -->^78F$09U&67D!45A#54R87B)89V<--

I expect the coaching staff to get Smith in as soon as healthy.
    I disagree with this totally. Initially, I was a big proponent of starting Smith; however, I think it would be a huge mistake to start Smith over Flacco now. Joe seems to respond very favorably to increased playing time, and does not get ruffled. OJT is the best thing for him to develop, so keep rolling him out there!
    "Grab those pusillanimous sons-a-bitches by the nose and kick 'em in the balls.." General George S. Patton

Joe had a great start. Let's just let him grow. I do think he has a bright future. If he can stay healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by Sports Steve View Post
    Joe had a great start. Let's just let him grow. I do think he has a bright future. If he can stay healthy.

Just like every other NFL player on the league. This pretty much goes without saying.

Said it before the season started and will say it again. Once Smith went down and Flacco was named the starting QB, you need to start him the whole season. "Benching" him now, IMO, would be way worse on him psychologically than leaving him out there and taking his lumps. The Kid has shown everyone that he is getting better and better.

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    but his first performance wasn't too different than Kyle Boller's start against a much better Stillers defense on the road. No INTs, but low completion %, not particularly aggressive..
    What? I don't really remember too much about that game, and am too lazy to look up Boller's stat line, but I do remember he looked like a deer in the headlights for that whole game, and the Steelers dominated us. Flacco showed yesterday what Boller could never even show after 5 years: poise. He just seems to have "it", something intangible.

I agree that we shouldn't be annointing him the next Johnny U yet, and his next test comes next week on the road, but I think everyone should feel more excited about this kid's upside than in '03 with Boller.

And as an aside, I think I saw you yesterday Mista T. In the Ostend/Sharp street lot. I was in the middle of a conversation though so it would have been rude of me to shout across the lot at you.

what a joke, Smith has NEVER in his life had a performance like this. Why would the coaches go to a QB that is afraid to throw the ball, and has put up two halfs with less then 10 yards passing.... It's not liek he is much more experienced, and he has a FAR lower ceiling... There is NO REASOn to bench Flacco at this point, Injury only, heaven forbid.

Maybe I'm missing something. Flacco is now only 1 game away from equally Troy Smith in terms of playing time. He is, at this point, at least as good at Smith running this offense. He is the guy now, Harbs may as well just make official.