Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

New NFL rules for amping up the crowd noise ...

Personally, I think that this is a terrible idea. It's nice when you're the home team, but you're only the home team half the time. And you might not be the home team at all in the playoffs when it really counts. I was curious what the rest of you think.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl-mak...0989--nfl.html

If you read through the rest of the article they are adding a whole bunch of new in-stadium replay rules as well. That idea I like, but it does seem like I'm going to have to clear my brain of all the non-essentials to remember the NFL rules come football season.

Re: New NFL rules for amping up the crowd noise ...

Wi-fi in stadiums is a dumb investment. I don't go to games to look at a smartphone. There are two huge HDTV screens at either end of the stadium that should provide me everything that I would be interested in while watching the games.

Rather than invest in Wi-Fi, I'd rather see an auxiliary scoreboard installed to continually show the scores of our division rivals game at all times without being busied up with fantasy player stats. This used to be a standard feature of NFL stadiums.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

MistaT, did I miss the WiFi mention in the article? Or are you talking about the locker room video being available on team apps?

While I work for a company that manufactures WiFi solutions for stadiums, I don't really care about that in our stadium since I don't use it. But I do care that one of the best advantages we have had for a lot of years, our loud fans, may be diminished by the league allowing lesser fan bases to get pumped up at their home by on-screen displays while the play is going on. Sure, we'll only get louder but I prefer to play away games when their fans are sitting on their hands :)

WiFi is not mentioned in the article from the OP, but I like the idea. Gives fans what they've been asking for in terms of having the ability to check scores during TV time outs.

As for the OP's topic, seems like a reasonable thing to me as well. Why not exploit your home field advantage even more?

Quote Originally Posted by Ravannapolis View Post
    MistaT, did I miss the WiFi mention in the article? Or are you talking about the locker room video being available on team apps?

While I work for a company that manufactures WiFi solutions for stadiums, I don't really care about that in our stadium since I don't use it. But I do care that one of the best advantages we have had for a lot of years, our loud fans, may be diminished by the league allowing lesser fan bases to get pumped up at their home by on-screen displays while the play is going on. Sure, we'll only get louder but I prefer to play away games when their fans are sitting on their hands :)
    I guess that the combination of a bottle or three of beer plus following the links in Yahoo Sports led me to the Wi-Fi blurb:

Commissioner Roger Goodell shared parts of the plan in February, and last year made a commitment to have wireless internet available free of charge in all 32 stadiums by 2013.
    As to your concern about other teams' fans gaining on our advantage, I don't. A few others can compete with us in Seattle, New Orleans, Buffalo ... but most other NFL fans are lame.

:T2:
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    As to your concern about other teams' fans gaining on our advantage, I don't. A few others can compete with us in Seattle, New Orleans, Buffalo ... but most other NFL fans are lame.
    So why help the lame ones in their home stadiums when we don't need the help in ours? That's why I don't like the idea.

Frankly, I like home-grown excitement, not team-generated crap. I can not stand Camden Yards' video prompting and do not participate because of it. Yes, there are those at the stadium that do not get ramped up, but that just means I have to yell louder to compensate.

Just another example that the sheep-le need to be lead.
    Captain Offense

I would say that this rule shouldn't change much here at home. We are already misfits in terms of crowd noise. Any louder and there will be a rule created just for us........ to shut up.

Natural lung power!

I think we were one of the few teams that didn't use the scoreboard, or announcers to or benefit. We are loud without it. This could be awesome.

I like the video replay requirement. It will prevent home teams from having a huge advantage when it comes to coaches' challenges. If the stadium is required to show all the replays with the best angles, there won't be any of the avoidance of showing plays that could be overturned against the home team.

Blog Entries
    They have been flashing GET LOUD on the screens and playing AC/DC already this just let's them do longer, right?

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!