Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Re: Ravens Rookie Class Gets Bad Marks for Participation

Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    They're given that chance in training camp and very few beyond the top draft choices prove themselves worthy to get much playing time let alone starting until they've been around a while. Look how long it took Kruger to show something and he was a second round pick. It took Art Jones a while to get this good and he'll get a big contract now - same with Ellerbe and JJ who already got theirs but it took a while.
    Hmm... Kruger was a prime example.... Kruger was asked to bulk up.... in my opinion, he was asked to assume the role of Trevor Pryor... as a result, he wasn't effective until we had a DC who could use him properly.... then Suggs got hurt, he was asked to play "Suggs", which wasnt his specialty... his specialty was getting after the QBs.... We sure would have used his specialty earlier...

I am not saying that rookies should see significant playing time.... rather, rookies should be given opportunity to showcast themselves in the game (not all rookies are great practice-players).... by playing the rookies, we can give the veterans breather here and there...

Simply put, this coaching staff is basically taking rookies like a college football staff would do.... take a player and mold that player into whatever the staff wants....

In light of salary cap era, I, for one, would like to see rookies to play more.... so that we get maximum productivity out of them rather than waiting until a year or two before their contract for us to finally tap into their potentials or end up shelling out big bucks...

Blog Entries

First round pick should be a starter (maybe not if QB...) and ours became a starter.
    Admittedly by poor play from Huff, but he did play, and I have sky high expectations that learning role at FS will help him as he moves to the natural SS (as Kruger's stint to DL gave him a extra set of LB advantage) .... we can even consider Elam a virtual 2nd rounder since where we were drafting.

I don't see a bust yet the only iffy is Simon who I can't shake Jason Phillips who is still playing in the league but didn't exactly fit out system, hopefully I'm wrong but he is the bad mark concern,

Participation? we were the SB champions not a runner up (more participation) or the Browns who led

What might be interesting is how many did KC Chiefs have? who had the monster turn-around? Was it rookie play or veteran infusion (as we did)?
    at one point of my life I was exactly Pi years old

Quote Originally Posted by Random Thoughts View Post
    In light of salary cap era, I, for one, would like to see rookies to play more.... so that we get maximum productivity out of them rather than waiting until a year or two before their contract for us to finally tap into their potentials or end up shelling out big bucks...
    That's all well and good, but the main goal is to win football games. You do that by putting the best players out there. It takes a while to adapt to the NFL game, so if your best players are rookies, that's probably not a good thing.

Even our best rookie -- Elam -- made some huge mistakes, some game-changing mistakes. That's what you're going to get with rookies, no matter how physically talented they are.
    "Chin up, chest out."

The Ravens seem to draft a lot of "projects", guys who need to bulk up and guys from small schools where the competition is weaker. Guys who take longer to become starters.

WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by camdenyard View Post
    The Ravens seem to draft a lot of "projects", guys who need to bulk up and guys from small schools where the competition is weaker. Guys who take longer to become starters.
    That's what happens when you don't draft in the top 10, but the bottom 10 yearly.
    I'm sure Ozziw would have loved to see Kenny Vaccaro or Eric Reid available when the Ravens picked, but they were long gone when he chose Elam @ #32... Bc

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Random Thoughts View Post
    Hmm... Kruger was a prime example.... Kruger was asked to bulk up.... in my opinion, he was asked to assume the role of Trevor Pryor... as a result, he wasn't effective until we had a DC who could use him properly.... then Suggs got hurt, he was asked to play "Suggs", which wasnt his specialty... his specialty was getting after the QBs.... We sure would have used his specialty earlier...

I am not saying that rookies should see significant playing time.... rather, rookies should be given opportunity to showcast themselves in the game (not all rookies are great practice-players).... by playing the rookies, we can give the veterans breather here and there...

Simply put, this coaching staff is basically taking rookies like a college football staff would do.... take a player and mold that player into whatever the staff wants....

You're right about Kruger and Pags was the one who finally figured out what to do with Kruger - too little too late. Kruger only had 1 sack last year until Suggs returned and then got hot at end of the season and playoffs but only had 2 sacks this year w/o Suggs while playing in Cleveland. Hell, he only had a few snaps in the SB and bitched about it when he left.

Boller was a prime example of a rookie that shouldn't have started. He never adapted to the speed of the pro game and even said the game sure is faster up here. When Ravens drafted Flacco, Billick was asked on TV if Ravens would start him. Billick said, you're asking me? I was just run out of Baltimore for starting Boller as a rookie. ILMAO. So true.

Ravens had every intention to sit Joe as a rookie because of what happened to Boller. Troy Smith was supposed to start but he got really sick in summer camp. Then Boller took over and was injured in the pre-season. Joe started by default. There was no one left and he almost went to the SB as a rookie but he was the exception to the rule.
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 01-11-2014 at 04:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    Troy Smith was supposed to start but he got really sick in summer camp.
    Gotta be careful at summer camp. Who knows what you'll catch.