Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: Who do you think is the most important player we drafted in 08?

Definitely Joe Flacco. Look at MJD, he is great, but his team sucks and there is not much he can do. A good QB finds his way to the playoffs just about every year.

2. Re: Who do you think is the most important player we drafted in 08?

Quote Originally Posted by PGCountyRaven85 View Post
    Ray Rice seeing as how he's the leader of this offense and the fact that he dictates the level of offensive play. I don't understand how it could be Flacco when we all know that if Lil Ray doesn't get minimum 20-25 touches, we lose.
    That's a good point. We've seen this season that if Flacco throws it too much we lose, also if Ray doesn't get the ball enough we lose. That closes the gap a bit, but considering what Todays NFL has turned into, i still have to go with Flacco, But you bring up a good point.

Ray Rice is what makes this offense run, if we didn't have a back like Ray, without a doubt it wouldn't be a good offense, and i think Joe would struggle quite a bit, we might have a different perspective on him.
    Lardarius "The predator" Webb

The thing about running vs throwing means winning and losing is somewhat of a fallacy.

You look at a team that plays a game where they have to throw 50 times, and it usually means they are playing from behind. Conversely, if the rushing totals are way up, it's usually because a team is ahead.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by alienrace View Post
    The thing about running vs throwing means winning and losing is somewhat of a fallacy.

You look at a team that plays a game where they have to throw 50 times, and it usually means they are playing from behind. Conversely, if the rushing totals are way up, it's usually because a team is ahead.
    True. in addition to the Rice because we win when he gets his 25 and lose if joe throws 50 argument, Flacco is the leader of this offense. he commands it, and players look to him. when the defense lets us down were not putting it on Ray Rice to bring us from behind, its Joe and his 90 yard drives and last minute scores. We win when Rice gets 25+ because we have the lead and a good defense to hold it. that doesnt mean Flacco didnt have a part in getting that lead. I look at if we had another young QB, any chance were in the playoffs? probably not. as opposed to another young RB? plausible. might not be the same player rice is but youre more likely to get similar production at that position than QB. RBs really are a dime a dozen outside the top 4-5 (which Rice probably is). top or even adequate Qbs are much more rare.
    -JAB

Ray Rice is a running back that is part of the run game. Most QB's struggle when the run game struggles.

How does Joe get blamed for Reed's two fumbles? Without that loss, the Ravens are the #1 seed. I mean, you guys do know that NE lost 3 games this year, right? That Joe didn't lose to ANY of the playoff teams he faced this year!?

Joe drives me insane because I believe he can play better than he does sometimes, but he deserves praise. This team is back to 10-6, 6-10, 9-7,7-9 annual roller coaster without Flacco.
    After 5 years of early exits, the journey is finally complete.

Quote Originally Posted by Teavo View Post
    But 2008 Joe wouldn't have become 2012 Joe if he didn't have Ray Rice for the last 4 years bailing Joe and our offense out countless times with his truly dynamic play.
    I really think it's more fair to say "the last 3 years", not four. Rice and Flacco's rookie year, McClain and McGahee did the bulk of the "bailing out" via the run game. McClain had 232 touches, McGahee 170, and Rice 107. Flacco wasn't leaning on Rice for anything when they were rookies.

Blog Entries

Point is not who is the best player in the 2008 draft, but who is the best GM in the 2008 draft. Ozzie set the Ravens up for their Super Bowl run in 2011/12. His expertise made this
    Ravens era to thrive. When the Lombari trophy is held up, it will be higher because Flacco is taller than Ray rice, but both may have an equal share... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by PGCountyRaven85 View Post
    Ray Rice seeing as how he's the leader of this offense and the fact that he dictates the level of offensive play. I don't understand how it could be Flacco when we all know that if Lil Ray doesn't get minimum 20-25 touches, we lose.
    Did you see the two latest Steelers games in Pittsburg? We won those games, not thanks to Rice but Flacco.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BleedPurple92 View Post
    That's a good point. We've seen this season that if Flacco throws it too much we lose, also if Ray doesn't get the ball enough we lose. That closes the gap a bit, but considering what Todays NFL has turned into, i still have to go with Flacco, But you bring up a good point.
    Explain the Arizona game and the last drive in Pittsburgh, then.

Rice is special, but an effective RB is a lot easier to get than an effective QB (though I think even that is overblown). Rice is more of a gamebreaker than McGahee was, but had we not drafted Rice that year we'd have still had an effective running game over these four years, imo.

I don't know that we'd've had the consistency at QB with Boller and/or Troy Smith. The Flacco haters can say whatever they want, but more often than not Flacco's made plays that have helped his team get into the playoffs and win playoff games.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    Point is not who is the best player in the 2008 draft, but who is the best GM in the 2008 draft. Ozzie set the Ravens up for their Super Bowl run in 2011/12. His expertise made this
    Ravens era to thrive. When the Lombari trophy is held up, it will be higher because Flacco is taller than Ray rice, but both may have an equal share... Bc
    Excellent point. Funny you should mention that, because earlier today I was cruising the Steelers message board and they are arguing about whether their '08 draft should be graded a 'D' or an F. So while we debate who was most important, we should be thankful we can choose between two very good young players.

Quote Originally Posted by bacchys View Post
    Rice is more of a gamebreaker than McGahee was, but had we not drafted Rice that year we'd have still had an effective running game over these four years, imo.
    Maybe, but I think without Rice we would not have had an effective passing game.

Think of all the "dump off" receptions Rice turned into big gains or even touchdowns. Even when he wasn't catching the ball he demanded coverage, helping to open things up for others. McGahee could not have provided that.

I still have to say Joe is #1 simply because he's a QB not a RB, but the difference isn't huge.