Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: New black quarterbacks club

"Darn...I don't smkoke and I am quite a few years away from fifty"

Welllllll . . . . how about you don't have to smoke and don't have to be over fifty. You still have to drink and have an attitude. I wouldn't want to exclude anyone :D
    Screw 'em all

Proud Member of BASH - Baltimore Association of Steeler Haters

How about a "Hate Whitey" club?
    Living in Houston, Tx....still living, eating, breathing the Ravens

Ooo, ooo, ooo, (raising hand and shuffling weight from one leg to the other) I qualify on all counts, especially atitude. Can I join too?
    ENFORCE THE 1ST AMENDMENT WITH THE SECOND, NEVER DISARM

Quote Originally Posted by ClericBlackDave View Post
    Woah there, thats a bit of a stretch. Higher education is readily available to blacks and other minorities who make it out of primary and secondary schools in tact. Which is not a large ammount.

If you don't understand, you need to spend some time checking out the Baltimore City school system, or any other urban minority dominated school system. Since their budgets are based on property taxes, and property value is horidly low in the cities, they have no budget. Additionally, there is a viscious cycle in such school that keep children from appreciating education properly, part of which starts at home and can be blamed on inner city parents. Of course, the plight of those lower class parents can also be attributed to other structural issues.

As a black Ivy-leager, I can say that apart from good parenting or good genetics I probabaly benefit the most from being public schooled in Pikesville with a large majority jewish population who were already academically oriented.

In any case, the real issue here is that a black QB group recognizes implicity some stereotypes that are negative.

ON the pre-determining of position in football, I do agree that that is an issue.

But should we see a white-running-backs or cornerbacks club? Or a jewish or asian club or all positions? It just gets silly.

Mulitalo and Ngata and others of polynesian descent seem to do a good job of having a sense of community without forming an official group.

IN any case, they have a right to form the group, but I feel like its unnecessary and probably reinforcing some stereotypes.
    I agree with you to an extent, and I am familiar with the condition of the Baltimore City public school system, but I think the educational problems with inner city minorities are largely problems that stem from home, and result from certain cultural influences. I do understand, however, that a lot of these kids aren't really given much of a chance and the problems that plague these inner-city schools cannot be articulated in a single post.

However, it ulitmately comes down to personal responsibility. No one is forcing these kids out of school. Because of certain entitlement programs, AA, social promotion, etc., higher education (in many instances) has lowered it's standards. There are other reasons for the decline in the quality of education that many of these institutions offer, but I think that this movement to push underqualified minority candidates (that would be better off AT LEAST starting off at a community college level) to the college level is a big mistake. It not only hurts them, but it's at the expense of others.

Many have taken the point of view that public and higher education (especially higher) should be a guaranteed right and should be made available to ALL people. Now, because of this attitude, obtaining a college degree has become less significant, many useless departments have been created, and college has become a place of vacation for MANY students.

It's not a stretch at all to say that minorities have college education more readily available to them. Graduate from high school, and you're essentially set as a minority. That's what affirmative action has created. Many colleges and universities have a quota to fill; admission requirements are lowered in order to accomodate minority candidates (usually regardless of their personal financial situation).

This is really beside the point. I completely agree with you on the "Black QB's Club" situation; I really don't think there is a need to create such a group.

In my mind, racial divides (as I said earlier) only become more defined when people are constantly (or making a point to) recognizing the differences in one another. It's pointless and trivial. Morgan Freeman actually made some great points awhile back about black history month and the ongoing racial discussions in this country. He made the point that black history is American history, and that it shouldn't be relegated to one month of the year. He also discussed that racism will cease as soon as people stop talking about it.

I don't mean to turn this into a political discussion, I'm simply defending my stance on the education issue.

Bottom line: a black QB's club is stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by festivus View Post
    Why shouldn't I be tolerant of the United Negro College Fund, Black Entertainment Television, or Miss Black America?

White students are overwhelmingly represented at colleges, white characters are overwhelmingly represented on tv, and white contestants are (forgive me guessing here, haven't seen many) well represented in beauty pageants. I don't feel like I'm losing anything because of the existence of institutions serving minority populations.

Why shouldn't I be tolerant of minority organizations of attorneys, or accountants, or engineers? It doesn't bother *me*. I'm just a regular white guy, and regular tv, beauty pageants and college educations are already there for me, if I want them.

Best response ever! My respect for you has grown even more. Whites don't have to assemble, because (duh) they are the majority in this country.....for now. Minority groups are formed for self-empowerment. They are not trying to hide behind masks and white robes, to kill a group of people, like a certain cowardly group used many years ago.

What McNair and the other African American QBs are doing is assembling a group for the purpose of encouraging other minorities to pursue a career as a QB in the NFL. For years, whites have stated that African Americans were not smart enough to man the QB position. That stereotype was proven wrong.

As festivus stated, if you want to see whites assemble, just turn on ABC, CBS, FOX and NBC. Turn on any beauty pagent. Hell, watch "Friends." I watch Friends and there is not a speck of "Black" on that show.
    It's a new season! It's a new day!

Quote Originally Posted by LBoogy View Post
    I agree with you to an extent, and I am familiar with the condition of the Baltimore City public school system, but I think the educational problems with inner city minorities are largely problems that stem from home, and result from certain cultural influences. I do understand, however, that a lot of these kids aren't really given much of a chance and the problems that plague these inner-city schools cannot be articulated in a single post.

However, it ulitmately comes down to personal responsibility. No one is forcing these kids out of school. Because of certain entitlement programs, AA, social promotion, etc., higher education (in many instances) has lowered it's standards. There are other reasons for the decline in the quality of education that many of these institutions offer, but I think that this movement to push underqualified minority candidates (that would be better off AT LEAST starting off at a community college level) to the college level is a big mistake. It not only hurts them, but it's at the expense of others.

Many have taken the point of view that public and higher education (especially higher) should be a guaranteed right and should be made available to ALL people. Now, because of this attitude, obtaining a college degree has become less significant, many useless departments have been created, and college has become a place of vacation for MANY students.

It's not a stretch at all to say that minorities have college education more readily available to them. Graduate from high school, and you're essentially set as a minority. That's what affirmative action has created. Many colleges and universities have a quota to fill; admission requirements are lowered in order to accomodate minority candidates (usually regardless of their personal financial situation).

This is really beside the point. I completely agree with you on the "Black QB's Club" situation; I really don't think there is a need to create such a group.

In my mind, racial divides (as I said earlier) only become more defined when people are constantly (or making a point to) recognizing the differences in one another. It's pointless and trivial. Morgan Freeman actually made some great points awhile back about black history month and the ongoing racial discussions in this country. He made the point that black history is American history, and that it shouldn't be relegated to one month of the year. He also discussed that racism will cease as soon as people stop talking about it.

I don't mean to turn this into a political discussion, I'm simply defending my stance on the education issue.

Bottom line: a black QB's club is stupid.
    Blah, Blah, Blah. It is funny how you will write a long (winded) essay-ish thread -saying the same thing- everytime an issue of race comes up. You are predictable and typical. That further reveals your real feelings on race matters.

Of course you would see no need for a Black QBs Club. Of course, you see the club as "stupid." Newsflash: Who cares what you think!?! You are not going to stop it from happening.

Quote Originally Posted by LBoogy View Post
    Whites being overwhelmingly represented at college and on tv? Could that be because whites are the MAJORITY in this country, and blacks only make up only 12%? Things shouldn't be 50-50. However, by the incessant pandering to minorties in this country (mainly blacks), you would think that those percentages would be different. Don't even get me started on the education issue. Education is MORE readily available to minorities. Higher education has become a joke.

Look, I think judging people based on their race is a horrible thing. I also think that creating exclusive groups based on race, affirmative action programs, and simple social promotion are also horrible things.

Creating a black quarterbacks club is only furthering racial divides (as others have said). Race will no longer be an issue until people on both sides stop making it an issue. On top of that, it all starts at home. No amount of federal programs and dollars will fix racism and the many struggles that minority groups experience. It's on them. It's on many minorities to establish a strong family structure and moral fabric.

Bottom line: I don't think creating a black QB's club or creating television channels for one race will repair much of anything. It simply deepens the divides.

Wow, talk about contradicting yourself. You said that folks should stop making race an issue, yet you state that because whites "are the MAJORITY in this country" they should get some special privilege over others. You also, have attacked minority groups all throughout this post, yet "folks should stop making race an issue."

1. You think that "judging people based on their race is a horrible thing." Well, son, you have done a horrible thing. The lack of a strong family structure and moral fabric is not just prevalent within minority families as you have stated...in ignorant fashion. Last I checked, there are many broken white families out there with a lack of moral fiber.

2. A Black QBs Group is not going impact race relations in America any more or less than it has already been impacted. It's a football group.

Bottomline, You are F.O.S. and living in a glasshouse.
    Last edited by PurpleRulz; 06-26-2007 at 03:01 AM.

PR,

God bless you.

Quote Originally Posted by ladyraven127 View Post
    "Want a club where every member has to be black? Fine. White? Fine. Jewish? Fine. Catholic? Fine. Taller than 6'? Fine. Named Jimbo? Fine. Racist? Fine. Beautiful? Fine. Ugly? Fine."

I think I will form a hard drinking, smoking, not stick thin, cussin', over fifty, you don't like my attitude kiss my ass club. Anyone with me :D
    Sign me up!!!!:hammer:

"You also, have attacked minority groups all throughout this post..."

I must have missed those. What "attacks"? Unledd you mean where he said people have to be accountable. I guess some individuals might construe a suggestion to be responsible and be civilized as an attack.
    ENFORCE THE 1ST AMENDMENT WITH THE SECOND, NEVER DISARM

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleRulz View Post
    What McNair and the other African American QBs are doing is assembling a group for the purpose of encouraging other minorities to pursue a career as a QB in the NFL. For years, whites have stated that African Americans were not smart enough to man the QB position. That stereotype was proven wrong.
    Worst response EVER. How do Black's NEED this club? They are already more then DOUBLY represented as NFL QB's. What I mean, is that a race that makes up 12.1% of the US popualtion, represents 25% of all starting NFL QB's. How is that NOT an equal shot? Becuase the rest of the NFL is 90/10?
    By your line of thinking, the white football players should start a club, and get together with owners to encourage "equality". There would be lawsuits everywhere, and the level of play would drop. The best people are on the field, and they got there by being the best. That is how it should always be.
    I can't for the life of me understand why Blacks continue to seperate themselves after their forefathers spent so much time, effort, and BLOOD to get your equality. EQUALITY is EQUALITY, not special treatment. Next thing you know the blacks will attemtp to force the coutnry to have 33% white senators, 33% illegal hispanis and 33% blacks, cause well there are really three ethnic groups in htis country, so they might as well get equal representation.... IT DON"T WORK THAT WAY. Stop spitting on MLK's grave....

So answer me, why do little balck kids need a BLACK QB's club to be able to play QB? They are already way over-represented by population? It seems to me that they have PLENTY of opportunities, or else they would still be under-represented.

Quote Originally Posted by Art-Florida View Post
    "You also, have attacked minority groups all throughout this post..."

I must have missed those. What "attacks"? Unledd you mean where he said people have to be accountable. I guess some individuals might construe a suggestion to be responsible and be civilized as an attack.
    Don't bother with him.

Anytime I've EVER commented on racial issues, he's attempted to peg me (and others) as racist. It's really a waste of time.