Page 17 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Guns...

Blog Entries

Re: Guns...

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    im aware, but i made two claims and to clarify, owning an AR is another issue outside magazine size and using handgun statistics vs an AR are going to be wildly inaccurate.
    I gotcha, but he was talking about 10 period. There wouldn't be a need to talk about 10 or less in a gun that you were going to ban, ya mean?

I do agree with that, but realistically i dont see you shooting a moving target from a large distance in real life but i can see how theres other factors in that scenario. typically when your lifes on the line your abilities increase, not decrease though. Tunnel vision is actually "extreme focus" in the case of a shooter, youd be focused only on him, so it can be a negative, but also a positive. athletes define it as a positive thing all the time.
    Normally, yes. Maybe it was just the way the instructor chose to describe it, but not in this case. In a fight or flight situation it was more of a hindrance than a benefit.

If your abilities increase when your life is in danger why do cops hit ratio drop?

I hope this is because you realized i was quoting your own statistics (11% vs 26%). ;)
    Yeah, I thought you were saying it's better than that...

I mean that makes sense, im not really arguing that it would take more bullets in any scenario in real life than practice. much like practicing a jump shot in basketball vs game time situation. I just dont think its ignorance to say 10 is enough.
    In his case it was.

maybe that depends on how one or more importantly when one plans to use the weapon. i think the last line you quoted is probably enough on the topic "there is no reliable data on hit ratio". because right below that it says..
    depends on situation more than anything and where somebody may pull and have a less likely hit ratio, another may run. with cops it another story because its not really about them.
    It actually say no reliable "national" data. I would guess, maybe I wrong that the 26% is the total regardless of the scenario. The 30% when not being shot vs the 18 when being shot it would seem to suggest that.

ultimately this is a debate for nothing because although I personally may not see the point in large magazines, i dont think they should limit them either. Again, im more concerned with who gets them and laws of that nature and probably more importantly enforcing the ones we have than limitations on guns or ammo.
    I don't disagree with much here, other than of course the means in which you've mentioned making sure people are okay to own or carry a gun, but we've been there done that. THe issue with magazine size if discussed make sense. If there are 2 people mugging me or breaking into my house and I have say... 6 shots. If I miss each once, I now have 4, if I hit both off target (very likely in a stressful situation, they can still come at me, which means I now have to stop and reload, increasing the chance they win, not the desirable outcome.

Read up on the 21ft rule and how the only real way to stop someone without them getting to you inside 21ft is to shoot them in a 2 inch area above and below the eyes. If' I don't do that, I need more bullets.

Check this out.

which reminded me of a story I just heard talking to my police buddy the other day about a guy they took a gun away from who tried to buy a gun a few weeks before and got stopped because of a mental issue in his past. went to another place and got a gun anyway. not exactly sure of the details entirely but it sounded like one place did it by the book and another, not so much. perfect example of just enforcing laws we have saving lives or potential disasters.
    :word

Harry Reid, as predicted, removed the "Assault Weapons" ban from Feinsteins legislation, fearing it simply will not pass and will embolden the GOP.

The remainder of this bill is going to suffer the same slow death.

My hope now is that it does get pushed to the House. It will be quite the embarrassment for the Dems.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    My hope now is that it does get pushed to the House. It will be quite the embarrassment for the Dems.
    its more of an embarrassment to the American people for putting up with this Dog and Pony show we call our government. what a monumental waste of time and money.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

Harry Reid, as predicted, removed the "Assault Weapons" ban from Feinsteins legislation, fearing it simply will not pass and will embolden the GOP.

The remainder of this bill is going to suffer the same slow death.

Yeah, but now they'll just offer it as an amendment to another bill.

Probably something like an equal pay act for women, and then when that bill is voted against because it has the AWB as an amendment, democrats and the media will say "see republicans hate women, they voted against an equal pay bill".

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    Yeah, but now they'll just offer it as an amendment to another bill.

Probably something like an equal pay act for women, and then when that bill is voted against because it has the AWB as an amendment, democrats and the media will say "see republicans hate women, they voted against an equal pay bill".
    Nah.

JAB called it correctly. This was their dog and pony show to be able to tell their supporters "Hey, we tried". This is going to go away now.

It's a total non-starter for the Dems. They don't have the votes to get past a filibuster nor do they even sniff the required number for passage in the House.

They can try and do the attachment thing all they want. It hasn't worked when their numbers were favorable in Congress and it certainly won't work now.

So I decided, now that the AWB is DOA, to obtain an NFA Trust and buy my first Short Barrel Rifle.

The trust was incredibly easy and well worth the money. If you're considering ever buying a SBR or a suppressed weapon, I'd highly recommend you get a trust in place instead of going through the ATF process.

Blog Entries

So I decided, now that the AWB is DOA, to obtain an NFA Trust and buy my first Short Barrel Rifle.

The trust was incredibly easy and well worth the money. If you're considering ever buying a SBR or a suppressed weapon, I'd highly recommend you get a trust in place instead of going through the ATF process.
    What's the difference? Do you have a link that I can read up on it?

What's the difference? Do you have a link that I can read up on it?
    Here you go ...

http://beforeitsnews.com/the-law/201...t-2448094.html

Blog Entries

Sweet. What are the cost, roughly?

Just curious for now, as another crumbs snatcher is just days away from arriving, but when I'm ready to purchase one, I'd like to not have to wait.

Sweet. What are the cost, roughly?

Just curious for now, as another crumbs snatcher is just days away from arriving, but when I'm ready to purchase one, I'd like to not have to wait.
    Mrs. HR is an attorney so no cost to set up the trust for me. Typically, they run $200 - $300 though.

I'd go ahead and get it set up now. In case another change in the laws takes place, you'll be grandfathered in. Plus, you'd be able to leave any NFA weapon to your kids without ATF hassles.

Blog Entries

Mrs. HR is an attorney so no cost to set up the trust for me. Typically, they run $200 - $300 though.

I'd go ahead and get it set up now. In case another change in the laws takes place, you'll be grandfathered in. Plus, you'd be able to leave any NFA weapon to your kids without ATF hassles.
    That's pretty cheap actually. I'll do that, when I have a minute.

Obama's efforts to ban guns have gone from bad to worse.

Now, he's been called out for using a bad, outdated stat in his stump speeches.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...f755_blog.html

Earlier in the thread, it was noted that many of these so-called loopholes have been filled already.