Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    Wonder if he can get the money he spent on rehab back?

I'm usually all about passing on guys like this, but I would be ok with bringing him in as a UDFA. I think he has the ability to be a unique defender in the NFL, a nickel corner/ safety is what I'd do with him. Let him blitz off the edge a lot, free lance ala Reed in the deep secondary. His size limits his ability to man up on receivers Torrey Smith sized and up, but he could be a killer in zone coverage.

He is a froot loop for sure though and his contract should be designed to protect the team
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    I'm usually all about passing on guys like this, but I would be ok with bringing him in as a UDFA. I think he has the ability to be a unique defender in the NFL, a nickel corner/ safety is what I'd do with him. Let him blitz off the edge a lot, free lance ala Reed in the deep secondary. His size limits his ability to man up on receivers Torrey Smith sized and up, but he could be a killer in zone coverage.

He is a froot loop for sure though and his contract should be designed to protect the team
    Guess we are both having trouble sleeping ....

I gotta disagree. He's a head case no matter how you slice it. Last thing I'd want is that element in the Ravens locker room. I know weed is the NFL's dirty little secret but this is a whole new ball game.

I have to draw the line when it comes to distribution.

Nah, I work nights actually. Yea, I see how this is different. At least he was only charged with possession. I just remember watching this guy play and thinking it would be awesome if he could be a Raven... Maybe I'm holding onto that feeling and letting it override good sense.

If we take him or pass on him, I'm confident that it will be for solid reasons though.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

Blog Entries

Re: Draft stuff...Tyrann Mathieu

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post

I gotta disagree. He's a head case no matter how you slice it. Last thing I'd want is that element in the Ravens locker room. I know weed is the NFL's dirty little secret but this is a whole new ball game.

I agree and honestly, that really isn't the main point - IMO - in all of this.

If he has intentions on getting back into LSU and playing in the NFL and he is willing to jeopardize that like this? The kid obviously has trouble figuring out good decisions from bad decision.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post

He was charged with simple possession, not possession with intent to distribute.

Four dudes, ten bags of weed, 7 of which are in one of the dudes backpack. That says to me the dude with the backpack sold each of the other dudes a bag. Turns out that's how the police saw it as well. It's not like he was running a trap house.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I agree and honestly, that really isn't the main point - IMO - in all of this.

If he has intentions on getting back into LSU and playing in the NFL and he is willing to jeopardize that like this? The kid obviously has trouble figuring out good decisions from bad decision.
    Agreed.

And that's precisely the type of person I don't want in a Ravens locker room.

Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    Nah, I work nights actually. Yea, I see how this is different. At least he was only charged with possession. I just remember watching this guy play and thinking it would be awesome if he could be a Raven... Maybe I'm holding onto that feeling and letting it override good sense.

If we take him or pass on him, I'm confident that it will be for solid reasons though.
    Exactly how I feel.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

To me, weed is different (not as serious) from cocaine or even alcohol abuse. Mathieu seems like another Ricky Williams. A great football player and a pretty good guy, who just likes to smoke a little too much. I would definitely take a chance on him if I were Ozzie. If the Ravens can straighten him out, they would have their replacement for Ed Reed.
    Last edited by Dirt1; 10-26-2012 at 11:21 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt1 View Post
    To me, weed is different (not as serious) from cocaine or even alcohol abuse. Mathieu seems like another Ricky Williams. A great football player and a pretty good guy, who just likes to smoke a little too much. I would definitely take a chance on him if I were Ozzie. If the Ravens can straighten him out, they would have their replacement for Ed Reed.
    The NFL treats it like any other drug. That means suspensions for failed tests. That's the issue. There are only so many roster spots and cap space. It's tough to take a chance on someone you think could end up suspended.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    The NFL treats it like any other drug. That means suspensions for failed tests. That's the issue. There are only so many roster spots and cap space. It's tough to take a chance on someone you think could end up suspended.
    The test is a joke. It's always announced and its done once a year at the start of camp.

I'm more worried if he were to be a Raven and have these poor decision making skills and end up getting caught again.

The fact he smokes weed is not a factor for me.

Blog Entries

Joke or not they seem to catch some really dopey players and this guy is as dopey as they come.