Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Designated for Return - x2

Quote Originally Posted by Filmstudy View Post
    Effectively, such slots increase the size of the roster.
    It does, but I have always favored increasing roster size anyway. Injuries are a huge part of the game. Why should teams be forced to bring in low level, and unfamiliar, players at the last minute to compensate for absences, especially at the end of season when games are more critical?

Blog Entries

From the owners perspective, it is a no brainer.
    They are already paying the player on IR.
    If someone goes down that a replacement starter is needed for (as opposed to a street fill-in), it costs them nothing to bring a player back off IR (if they were on IR in the first place, they probably have blown any chances to reach incentives- so really costs them nothing)

Is this going to be any player on IR, or just the pool that was on the 53 to start the season? That seems like the next big tweak.
    AFAIK right now can't bring back a player IR'd in the pre-season, so have to carry them to the 53 in order to make them returnable.
    Remember last year we carried Carl Davis and Matt Elam to the returnable point, IR'd them and signed Devin Hester and brought back Justin Forcett (whe we cut telling him to hang around - it was a move to keep both the other 2 players eligible to return)
    at one point of my life I was exactly Pi years old

Blog Entries

It's interesting to me that you can sign a player (Harvin), but can't return one of your own especially late in the season. Doesn't make much sense... Bc

Blog Entries

Agree with 2nd IR set to return rule.

I don't like making overtime 10 minutes. Keep it at 15 and do away with the Thursday Night games.

Quote Originally Posted by ERey View Post

I don't like making overtime 10 minutes. Keep it at 15 and do away with the Thursday Night games.
    I'd prefer this myself. But as long as Thursday night games bring in the cash, I don't see them going away.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    It's interesting to me that you can sign a player (Harvin), but can't return one of your own especially late in the season. Doesn't make much sense... Bc
    It does when you consider parity concerns.
    Stops teams from stashing players who could be starters on weaker talent evaluating teams.
    You lose him for the year, and they maybe get a shot at him next year.
    Or as Filmstudy says, it increases the roster size for late season availability (especially when they did away with the "designated to return" tag)

If you can't be competitive the way this league is set up, you have the management skills of a Matt Millen

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by trailhiker85 View Post
    I'd prefer this myself. But as long as Thursday night games bring in the cash, I don't see them going away.
    And Thursday night games was one of the very few reasons for people to bother with NFL network, so it was cash, yes, but it was more than just Thursday in the mix.

i like this. now expand game day rosters

Blog Entries

If people don't want to watch Thursday night games, don't watch. I love those games and the color rush unis. No matter who is playing I usually watch although last year was an ugly series of one sided games for a while.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    If people don't want to watch Thursday night games, don't watch. I love those games and the color rush unis. No matter who is playing I usually watch although last year was an ugly series of one sided games for a while.
    And I don't watch, although that's partly because I've chosen not to pay for cable. Personally, I find most of the color rush unis to be hideous. But to each their own. I was merely expressing support of another poster's point of view.

Getting back to the change in overtime rules, I'm not sure how much removing five minutes will improve player safety, but it'll be interesting to see how much impact this will have.

Blog Entries

Getting back to the change in overtime rules, I'm not sure how much removing five minutes will improve player safety, but it'll be interesting to see how much impact this will have.
    It will have impact on the late game commercials getting started.... don't know how they handle the extra Commercial slots from a game slated to go off the air at a certain time and having to continue, or if they have to rebate some $$ to someone advertizing in the late game slot and not getting air time on the east coast because NY and Chicago went into overtime and 2 of the 3 biggest markets in the USA aren't getting the SF/Seattle game viewers on time.

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

Quote Originally Posted by esmd View Post
    Honestly, I always thought it was dumb to make a guy miss the whole season if placed on IR. They should do it like baseball. Put'em on 3 game IR. If they can come back, great. Otherwise, put 'em on another 3 week IR. If it truly is a season ending injury, than do the season IR.

Not sure why we penalize teams and players for injuries that don't need to last the entire season. This is a step in the right direction.
    Baseball is different because teams have guys on the 40 man roster as well as in the minor leagues. NFL teams could use a more lax IR to stash players based on schedule, etc. Baseball teams bring pitchers up and down during certain stretches. NFL teams could do the same with pass rushers, ST guys, RBs, etc. They could bring players off IR for certain teams and stretches of schedule as opposed to actually injured players being ready to return.