Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Re: Why is everyone up in arms about rebuilding the defense?

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    The defense needs rebuilding. The run defense sucked. QBs worth a darn were guaranteed seven yard hitches and ten yard comebacks on one side of the field.....I could go on, but I won't.

17th is unacceptable for a Ravens defense.
    Well prepare to be really bummed with the 27th ranked defense in 2013

Blog Entries

The defense needs rebuilding. The run defense sucked. QBs worth a darn were guaranteed seven yard hitches and ten yard comebacks on one side of the field.....I could go on, but I won't.

17th is unacceptable for a Ravens defense.
    Every time we had two deep zone they would just check to the run for a decent gain. It was maddening.

I think fresh legs, hungry guys and a little new blood will help a lot. It's the end of an era but the beginning of an offense lead Ravens team.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by Whitty Hutton View Post
    Were not even gonna get close to 27. I could easily see us with a top 15. Our run defense will be better and our #1 CB is coming back next year. People are really under-estimating this team and I love it. The defensive line is going to be dominant.

We have four spots on defense that need addressing: FS, SS, and the two ILBs.

You don't think between all the veteran talent out there and the 12 picks we have in the draft, we'll be able to address that?

Quote Originally Posted by Whitty Hutton View Post
    Is it possible yes. Likely....no.

Webb is coming back that is an instant upgrade to Carey Williams. I think Jimmy Smith showed signs at the end of last year that he can be a starting CB in this league. He played big in the biggest game of all IMO. Corey Graham is damn good insurance policy and 3rd CB.

At safety there is a great deal to resolve. That said Pollard was not good in coverage and with the D line upgrades his strength of supporting the run D is not as valuable. Ed I love but the Ravens would have been nuts to match that deal he got. If it were just a one year shoulder injury that would be one thing, Ed has not been able to tackle well for several years. Still effective in pass D but not so much after the catch. Thats not a guy you give 5 million to.

Ellerbe and Kruger god bless them will be missed but are both overpaid.

Upgrading the D line was the right priority. It all starts there and in doing so you build in some room error particularly at ILB. A lesser ILB may end up being as effective in that slot next year as a result of the upgraded D line.

Last but not least all the guys we lost on D were taken in the draft of UDFA by one Ozzie Newsome. None of them were top 10 picks. Its not like these guys were developed and dropped off at the Castle by some anonymous donor. Is Ozzie likely to pick another Ray Lewis or Ed Reed...maybe not but he is likley to pick guys who will develop and play at a high level. His history tells us this is so
    “A linebacker's job is to knock out running backs, to knock out receivers, to chase the football,”
    -Ray Lewis

It's jaw-dropping that some appear RESOLVED that our defense will be better last year. The team has now lost 5 of its 6 best defensive players from last year's run. I have no problem with optimism but some here are so drunk on purple kool-aid that they think we've gone through addition by subtraction. Not so.

Our best defender across the entire season was UNDOUBTEDLY Paul Kruger. I don't care how much he got overpaid, how much of a one year wonder he was, or how vehemently people want to insist he "wasn't good against the run" (WRONG, WATCH THE TAPE, but this meme just won't die). He was our best and most consistent defender, followed by Ellerbe. After Ellerbe it was likely Ngata, even as down a year as he had, and thankfully he is staying. Then Reed, Pollard, and Cary Williams--all gone, and even as imperfect as all of them were, each was a major part of our title defense.

I understand the arguments for why all 5 of those guys are not on the team and I agree with every one of them. But that doesn't change the fact that when you lose 5 of your 6 best defensive players, you have a long way to go to make it back to status quo. Webb coming back should help, although we have no idea how long it will take for him to get back to 100%. Same goes with Suggs and his recovery. I also fully expect guys like Corey Graham, Upshaw, and Art Jones to continue to develop and become stronger contributors next year, and we've added talent to the DL in free agency.

But even being as optimistic as possible and expecting all of those improvements to happen, if we don't make any FA moves and depend on the draft to reload, you're still talking about replacing 4 defensive starters on a team that RARELY starts even ONE rookie defender in any given year, especially a year picking outside of the top 15 in round 1. I totally agree that Ozzie has a viable long-term plan, but I see no evidence that the defense ON PAPER should reasonably be expected to be BETTER overall next year.

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    Our best defender across the entire season was UNDOUBTEDLY Paul Kruger.

LOL Sorry, but I almost spit out my coffee laughing when I read that.
    Way Down South in New Orleans

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NOLARavenFAN View Post
    I don't drink coffee, but I would have spit it out too if I did.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

I choked on mine!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Blog Entries

It's jaw-dropping that some appear RESOLVED that our defense will be better last year. The team has now lost 5 of its 6 best defensive players from last year's run. I have no problem with optimism but some here are so drunk on purple kool-aid that they think we've gone through addition by subtraction. Not so.

Our best defender across the entire season was UNDOUBTEDLY Paul Kruger. I don't care how much he got overpaid, how much of a one year wonder he was, or how vehemently people want to insist he "wasn't good against the run" (WRONG, WATCH THE TAPE, but this meme just won't die). He was our best and most consistent defender, followed by Ellerbe. After Ellerbe it was likely Ngata, even as down a year as he had, and thankfully he is staying. Then Reed, Pollard, and Cary Williams--all gone, and even as imperfect as all of them were, each was a major part of our title defense.

I understand the arguments for why all 5 of those guys are not on the team and I agree with every one of them. But that doesn't change the fact that when you lose 5 of your 6 best defensive players, you have a long way to go to make it back to status quo. Webb coming back should help, although we have no idea how long it will take for him to get back to 100%. Same goes with Suggs and his recovery. I also fully expect guys like Corey Graham, Upshaw, and Art Jones to continue to develop and become stronger contributors next year, and we've added talent to the DL in free agency.

But even being as optimistic as possible and expecting all of those improvements to happen, if we don't make any FA moves and depend on the draft to reload, you're still talking about replacing 4 defensive starters on a team that RARELY starts even ONE rookie defender in any given year, especially a year picking outside of the top 15 in round 1. I totally agree that Ozzie has a viable long-term plan, but I see no evidence that the defense ON PAPER should reasonably be expected to be BETTER overall next year.
    You mean the same Kruger who was practically invisible before Suggs returned?

Quote Originally Posted by NOLARavenFAN View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bmorebirds_24 View Post
    I choked on mine!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    You mean the same Kruger who was practically invisible before Suggs returned?
    I've addressed this many, many times. Try going back and watching the tape. Suggs had NOTHING to do with Kruger's good play this past season, end of story. Outside of game 1 vs. Cincinnati (where he had a legitimately bad game), Kruger was THE SAME PLAYER the entire season long.

I get the argument that "teams were accounting for Suggs and that's why Kruger started piling up sacks..." it's wrong. End of story. Teams weren't sliding protections or chipping Suggs at all this past season. They weren't sending double teams or pushing set blockers to his side. Those are the kinds of schematic changes that open things up for rushers from the other side. It just wasn't happening; Kruger was the one seeing double-teams and sliding protections, yet he was still beating them. Go back and watch both Steelers games and watch Pittsburgh sending TRIPLE TEAMS to Kruger while Max Starks was shutting down Suggs on the other side. It's right there on the tape for you to see.

Go back and watch the Chiefs game. Kruger didn't have a sack but he had 3 TFLs and completely blew up the Chiefs' run game to that side. But if you're just looking at sack totals you won't see that. Again, it's obvious that Ozzie was not going to pay Kruger's price tag based on ONE great season and I get that, but it doesn't change what Kruger was on the field this past year. If you guys don't agree with me fine, but at least SUPPORT YOUR ARGUMENTS with reality and facts.

Our best defender across the entire season was UNDOUBTEDLY Paul Kruger.
    You meant the part in bold to be funny I am hoping. If not I am not sure what team you were watching. The best defender on this team last season was Ngata IMO...one need only look at how the D played once he was off the field in the SB to understand that.

Kruger did practically nothing till Suggs came back. He was not good against the run...I have watched the games and the tape and its right there in full vivid color. There was a reason Upshaw saw the playing time he did even once Suggs got back....cause Kruger boderline sucked against the run. Whats next? Pollard was the best DB we had last year and was actually good in coverage? Kruger will be missed, I agree on that. At 8 million per year the Browns can have him though.

I think you undervalue just how bad the D line was at times last year with Kemo/Cody and how much the improvements they have made there will benefit not only the guys who are still here but also the guys they are yet to bring in.

I am not sure if the D will be better or worse. It remains to be seen based on who they bring in. I have no reason to think they cannot be good. They have Ngata, Canty, Suggs, Upshaw, Webb, Graham, Smith and Art Jones. That is a decent bit of talent to build around IMO. Will they be that dominant D they were when we had Boller at QB...no. Will they god awful....I doubt that even more.
    “A linebacker's job is to knock out running backs, to knock out receivers, to chase the football,”
    -Ray Lewis