Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Center Position

Blog Entries

Center Position

So, Eisenberg indicates that the Ravens liked the way Gino played this season, but they think his best role is as a depth guard/center instead of a starter.

We know the Ravens are likely going to resign Monroe and Ozzie indicated that he would have no problem letting Suggs walk if some things can't be worked out. His release yields almost $8 mill in cap space IIRC.

I know we have all kind of joked around about it, but is it really so outlandish or unlikely to think that the Ravens could target Alex Mack as soon as free agency hits?

Think about it...he has familiarity in the AC offense. He knows the AFC North. He is still young enough (28) to sign him for a long term deal and keep him into his mid 30's. Centers typically can play at a high level into their mid to late 30's. And while he would be pricey, would he be so expensive that the Ravens wouldn't or couldn't afford him? I'm not sure, but considering how important the running game is to the Ravens and how they have to protect Flacco in order to be successful, Mack's asking price might be worth it.

Christ Myers signed a 4 year $25 million deal in 2012.

Max Unger's deal is essentially a 5 year $25.5 million deal.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but those are the highest paid centers in the NFL.

So, realistically, the Ravens could give him a deal averaging about 6-6.5 mill per year and he would be one of the hugest paid centers in the league.

Maybe a 5 year deal, worth $30 mill with $15 guaranteed.

Am I way off base here? I just think this is a scenario that could really work out well for Baltimore. The Ravens need a center. One of the top centers in the league is a free agent and doesn't want to stay in Cleveland.

Signing Mack gives them flexibility heading into the draft so they can focus on receivers, tight ends, safeties and maybe a pass rusher.

I'm sure it is probably a pipe dream, but it just makes sense for a lot of reasons and while Mack could command a lot of money, the top paid centers have the same costs as an average receiver or a below average tackle.

Sign Monroe.
    Sign Mack.

Draft a RT prospect to compete with Wagner.

Get KO healthy.

OL is infinitely better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Re: Center Position

Always been a huge fan of Alex Mack since the 2009 draft. And while, yes we could without question afford to sign Alex Mack even without cutting Suggs, is it really worth giving a center big money when you can get a vet who can perform at a decent level for a much cheaper price? That's the way I see it, I'd personally love to see Mack play for the Ravens, he is IMO the best C in the league, but he is going to want to also be paid like the best C in the league too. I'm just not sure if committing a lot of your cap towards a C, when there is a lot of value else where is winning football. Looking back at recent SB champs, nearly all of the centers have been good veteran players, on reasonable or cheap deals.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Lucky for us that this is a good FA group of centers.

I think they'll look for a more low priced, solid veteran due to cap issues.
    Never get in a fight with a pig; you both get muddy, and the pig likes it...

I'd love to see Mack here, but I can't imagine them devoting the resources to it. Yanda is one of the top paid guards, and they are going to have to pay a lot for Monroe, simply because he's a free agent, and there are more NFL teams than there are legit starting left tackles. Plus I'm not sure we want to start a rookie or Wagner at RT -- we may need to spend some dough there. That's a lot to tie up in an o-line, especially when we have expensive players all over the roster.

I anticipate us adding a center, but I think we're shopping at Wal-Mart, not Neiman Marcus.
    "Chin up, chest out."

I think Mack will get a bigger contract than what you suggested. Jason Brown got a 5 year-$37 million dollar deal, I think Mack might do bette than that.

Blog Entries

can you link the eisenberg article?

I dont think theyd give up so quick on Gino. I also dont think theyd spend big on a center, even a great one.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Always been a huge fan of Alex Mack since the 2009 draft. And while, yes we could without question afford to sign Alex Mack even without cutting Suggs, is it really worth giving a center big money when you can get a vet who can perform at a decent level for a much cheaper price? That's the way I see it, I'd personally love to see Mack play for the Ravens, he is IMO the best C in the league, but he is going to want to also be paid like the best C in the league too. I'm just not sure if committing a lot of your cap towards a C, when there is a lot of value else where is winning football. Looking back at recent SB champs, nearly all of the centers have been good veteran players, on reasonable or cheap deals.

Just my 2 cents worth.
    They could go the cheap, older route and go for a Jon Goodwin or something, but that buys them what...one, maybe two years? Who knows if those old vets will stand up? Look at how quickly Jeff Saturday deteriorated.

Dan Koppen may make some sense, but he is coming off an injury IIRC and he is old too.

Signing Mack means paying a bit more, but you're getting one of the top 3 or 4 centers in the league, in their prime, with minimal injury history for several years.

I was unsure before and I know the Ravens RARELY make splash moves, but who saw them trading for Monroe midway through the season? I sure didn't. Most of us didn't.

Alex Mack makes the running game better, protects Flacco, and gives him a pocket to step up into.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by esmd View Post
    I think they'll look for a more low priced, solid veteran due to cap issues.
    What cap issues though?

Suggs is almost guaranteed to have a lesser cap number because he is going to take an extension or be traded/cut.

Webb could be restructured.

Rookies don't cost as much anymore and the Ravens could target some damn good players in the draft.

Imagine signing Mack AND drafting a Sammy Watkins or Mike Evans in round 1 and then drafting a TE or OT in round 2?

Getting Mack makes a huge difference.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    They could go the cheap, older route and go for a Jon Goodwin or something, but that buys them what...one, maybe two years? Who knows if those old vets will stand up? Look at how quickly Jeff Saturday deteriorated.

Dan Koppen may make some sense, but he is coming off an injury IIRC and he is old too.

Signing Mack means paying a bit more, but you're getting one of the top 3 or 4 centers in the league, in their prime, with minimal injury history for several years.

I was unsure before and I know the Ravens RARELY make splash moves, but who saw them trading for Monroe midway through the season? I sure didn't. Most of us didn't.

Alex Mack makes the running game better, protects Flacco, and gives him a pocket to step up into.

Those two years of decent play from a vet C will buy us time to draft a guy or develop someone, maybe even Gino could be ready with another year or two, who knows?

I agree though, Alex Mack is one hell of a player.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HotInHere View Post
    I'd love to see Mack here, but I can't imagine them devoting the resources to it. Yanda is one of the top paid guards, and they are going to have to pay a lot for Monroe, simply because he's a free agent, and there are more NFL teams than there are legit starting left tackles. Plus I'm not sure we want to start a rookie or Wagner at RT -- we may need to spend some dough there. That's a lot to tie up in an o-line, especially when we have expensive players all over the roster.

I anticipate us adding a center, but I think we're shopping at Wal-Mart, not Neiman Marcus.
    I don't believe that Monroe will command a lot.

He played well, but is he a top-5 LT? I don't believe so.

Jake Long's deal will be the starting point and Long's deal was 4 years for $34 mill with a potential to reach $36 mill.

Monroe could be had for less than that I bet. Also have to consider that Monroe's wife is from this area and Monroe has never played on a legitimate playoff contender. Those things do matter to some players.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenstatsman View Post
    I think Mack will get a bigger contract than what you suggested. Jason Brown got a 5 year-$37 million dollar deal, I think Mack might do bette than that.
    Different situation.

Brown's deal was as a guard/center. Mack is just a center. That's why Brown couldn't agree to terms with Ozzie because Ozzie wanted to pay him as a center, not a guard. Brown wanted guard money, but to play center.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Those two years of decent play from a vet C will buy us time to draft a guy or develop someone, maybe even Gino could be ready with another year or two, who knows?

I agree though, Alex Mack is one hell of a player.
    Would they want to chance that?

They thought a year behind Birk would be good for Gino and we all see how that worked out.

Flacco may not make it through another season of being sacked nearly 50 times and hit 347,921 times.