Time Out before 2 Point Conversion

The Redskins were out of time outs, had a rookie backup QB, and had to run a play to force an overtime.

The Ravens (Harbaugh?) called a time out.

This struck me as a huge mistake.

Re: Time Out before 2 Point Conversion

Not me.

You had an exhausted defense with quite a few street free agents that had probably blown 2-3 coverages during that last drive...including the TD.

They needed to regroup more than Cousins IMHO.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Before the timeout the Ravens were lining up in their base goal line defense with 4 down lineman. After the timeout the Ravens switched to 3 down lineman and brought in an extra DB. This left the middle (over center) wide open. Ayenbidago was the only player who could have made the play and he inexplicably stood 2 yards in the end-zone and allowed the Center to engage him, allowing the QB to waltz into the end zone. Why Ayenbidago didn't shoot the gap I don't know. Just like on the TD pass the CB was caught in no mans land at the 5 yard line with his man in the end-zone and alway too late Ed Reed of course too late.

Sure seems that Shanihan somehow anticipated the Ravens going to three down lineman on the two point conversion and called the perfect play.

Quote Originally Posted by webbrick2007 View Post
    Before the timeout the Ravens were lining up in their base goal line defense with 4 down lineman. After the timeout the Ravens switched to 3 down lineman and brought in an extra DB. This left the middle (over center) wide open. Ayenbidago was the only player who could have made the play and he inexplicably stood 2 yards in the end-zone and allowed the Center to engage him, allowing the QB to waltz into the end zone. Why Ayenbidago didn't shoot the gap I don't know. Just like on the TD pass the CB was caught in no mans land at the 5 yard line with his man in the end-zone and alway too late Ed Reed of course too late.

Sure seems that Shanihan somehow anticipated the Ravens going to three down lineman on the two point conversion and called the perfect play.
    Agreed football 101. Stop the sneak or QB draw first! Called it once the formation was set, make the QB make a throw. Especially a guy who has thown 11 passes in the pro's. Even Ed after the game knew the play. It was dumb. Extremely dumb. 3 man scattered oline, with Lb's back and 5 Wr screams QB draw.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by webbrick2007 View Post
    He didn't have to anticipate it. Just send Cousins in with that and a pass play. Once Cousins saw the defense, he could go with either one. The personnel on the field showed the Ravens were expecting a pass. I don't blame Pees, either. How much film could he have on Cousins, and how much would he have watched it even if he did?

Quote Originally Posted by bacchys View Post
    He didn't have to anticipate it. Just send Cousins in with that and a pass play. Once Cousins saw the defense, he could go with either one. The personnel on the field showed the Ravens were expecting a pass. I don't blame Pees, either. How much film could he have on Cousins, and how much would he have watched it even if he did?
    If you ever played or coached football, college, pro or HS, the FIRST thing you do in that situation on what basically amounts to a 4th down play is stop the sneak or draw and then defend everything else from thier, make them make a play or catch. Basics 101