Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Jacoby Jones

Blog Entries

Re: Jacoby Jones

I think that part of Doss' issue is Anquan Boldin. If you're problem is that you need a third WR to move Boldin into the slot when you go three wide, how does Doss solve that problem when his skill-set is more similar to Boldin himself? John Harbaugh actually shed some light on this last year.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    All I've said is practice is all well and good (obviously good practice = playing time), but it's really hard to gauge what you've got until they are in a live situation against an unfamiliar opponent and the Ravens seemingly refuse to put young guys out on the field regardless of how well they're practicing.
    I don't get why you think a player should just get on the field to get reps regardless of what they do in practice.

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    by all reports, Doss and even Williams, are very good in practice.
    Like I said before, if media members who are saying Doss and even Williams are very good in practice were actually qualified to make statements like those, they wouldn't be media members, they'd be NFL coaches.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    If they're that bad in practice then why keep them on the team at all? They must be showing something, right?
    Because not everyone can be Calvin Johnson. In fact, most people can't be Tanden Doss. Doss may not be good enough to get on the field save for emergency situations. But that doesn't mean that there's some schlub on the street that's better than him. If every team cut every guy not worthy of being an average NFL starter, 53 man rosters would turn into 11 man rosters.

The bottom line is, the Ravens coaches felt that Dickson and Pitta were better as #3 / #4 receivers than Doss or anyone else last year for a majority of the snaps. Given this coaching group has won playoff games for four straight years, I'm not really sure why people here seem to think they know better than our coaching staff enough to say that we should be giving these guys a shot on the field.

When they prove they deserve a shot on the field for more snaps, they'll get it.

- C -
    ---------------------------------------------------

www.oblongspheroid.com

A blog about any and everything football.

Twitter: oblong_spheroid

Blog Entries

Jacoby Jones reportedly looked impressive in practice today.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by psuasskicker View Post
    I don't get why you think a player should just get on the field to get reps regardless of what they do in practice.

Like I said before, if media members who are saying Doss and even Williams are very good in practice were actually qualified to make statements like those, they wouldn't be media members, they'd be NFL coaches.

Because not everyone can be Calvin Johnson. In fact, most people can't be Tanden Doss. Doss may not be good enough to get on the field save for emergency situations. But that doesn't mean that there's some schlub on the street that's better than him. If every team cut every guy not worthy of being an average NFL starter, 53 man rosters would turn into 11 man rosters.

The bottom line is, the Ravens coaches felt that Dickson and Pitta were better as #3 / #4 receivers than Doss or anyone else last year for a majority of the snaps. Given this coaching group has won playoff games for four straight years, I'm not really sure why people here seem to think they know better than our coaching staff enough to say that we should be giving these guys a shot on the field.

When they prove they deserve a shot on the field for more snaps, they'll get it.

- C -
    :grbac:

Whatever dude.

I've clearly stated multiple times that practicing well will translate to playing time. At this point, you're just debating yourself.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by psuasskicker View Post
    youre right, those preseason games where he clearly out shined torrey, or any of our WRs for that matter, was just media bias.

a guy reports hes getting separation, catching everything thrown to him, and even making spectacular grabs... you kind of have to assume hes doing good, because theyre reporting the same thing the coaches are seeing. Even if its against 2nd string the point is hes showing enough to be "promoted" against better competition, whether that be running with the 1s in practice or getting some more PT in games if he already is.

People act like Doss didnt see the field because hes chopped liver. He was a better prospect and further along than Smith was last year, iirc harbs even alluded to as much, but he didnt play STs and wasnt a vertical threat that this offense needs to be effective. The point some of us are saying, is its worth getting him some sets/plays to continue his progress and/or see if his game translates, even if only a few. We threw Torrey out there because of necessity with him showing less than Doss and that worked out great and his game grew immensely, why not take that approach with the guy that showed more in hopes his does as well.

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    good to hear, but kind of the issue with him. maddeningly inconsistent. one day he catches everything the next he cant catch a cold.
    -JAB