Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: Schefter: Caldwell to be Ravens QB coach

So the Ravens lose their successful defensive coordinator to the Colts and in return, the Ravens get Colts' failed head coach. Brilliant. The only possible conclusion is that the Ravens have decided to give up after almost getting into the Super Bowl. If they end up at the bottom, as they likely will, they will have no one to blame but themselves. This is profoundly stupid.

From Florio's article at PFT

Caldwell’s arrival could prompt some Ravens fans to clamor for a possible upgrade at the quarterback position, from Joe Flacco to Peyton Manning.
    I'm sure those threads will be in full force now.. sigh

Honestly, imo.. Manning isn't an upgrade at this point. He's one sack from never walking again.. He'd never survived a season in the AFC North..

Quote Originally Posted by The Fanatic View Post
    Once again, we get fucked over without even the slightest drop of K-Y jelly to ease the pain.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NickM View Post
    So the Ravens lose their successful defensive coordinator to the Colts and in return, the Ravens get Colts' failed head coach. Brilliant. The only possible conclusion is that the Ravens have decided to give up after almost getting into the Super Bowl. If they end up at the bottom, as they likely will, they will have no one to blame but themselves. This is profoundly stupid.
    You do realize that Jim Caldwell has been the QB's coach for one of the best QB's of all time for the past decade...right?
    Last edited by HoustonRaven; 01-30-2012 at 08:39 AM. Reason: Easy Killer
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Holy shit! This is fantastic news!

Last I read on Caldwell was he was heading to Pittsburgh to be the OC there. Saying a lot that he's choosing to come here to be the QB's coach...I guess Pittsburgh didn't want him or something.

Wow. This makes me really excited.
    I like the move.. taking away his HC stuff, you can't argue his success as a QB Coach w/ Collins in Penn State, Johnson in TB and obviously Manning. It sure as hell can't be any worse than last year without a QB Coach..

Once again, we get fucked over without even the slightest drop of K-Y jelly to ease the pain.

Blog Entries

It's a smart move. Caldwell would also make it possible to dump Cam mid season if they felt the need to.

edit: I see Scallywag beat me to it. Glad I'm not the only one seeing this option

Blog Entries

You do realize that Jim Caldwell has been the QB's coach for one of the best QB's of all time for the past decade...right?
    Picture Deleted
    Quality response to an absolutely horrible post. Kudos for Red Foreman as well.

This is an absolutely great hire for more than one reason. His record of coaching one of the greatest QBs of all time speaks for itself. now i dont think he comes in here and all of a sudden Joes throwing for 4800 yards and 40 TDs, but i do think hell bring knowledge that will improve his game immensely. Another reason would be, we now have another coach capable of calling a game. If Cam stumbles or is as stuck in his ways as hes showed to be in the past, they now can pull the plug. Not saying they would, but the threat of being able to should get the best out of Cam. Its really a win win in all facets. New blood from a successful regime will only bring good things to this offense.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jess View Post
    I like the move.. taking away his HC stuff, you can't argue his success as a QB Coach w/ Collins in Penn State, Johnson in TB and obviously Manning. It sure as hell can't be any worse than last year without a QB Coach..
    You know, I take guys who fail at HC with a grain of salt. Seriously, look at some of the best coordinators in the NFL and they have all been mediocre at best or complete failures as head coaches. It takes a special person to be the HC. Not everyone can do it and more often than not when you have a guy who is a QB's coach, for example, and you make them the HC you see them favor and spend a majority of their time with the QB and the offense and leave the rest of their team to their devices. Same with defensive guys who can't balance being the HC and they spend a majority of their time as the defensive guy with nothing given to the offense.

-NY Jets, Rex Ryan, had he been more balanced he may have caught some of the bad blood in the current locker room with Sanchez, Holmes, and others. He doesn't spend any time with those guys (or very little) so he just flat out didn't know. Some of the players have even come out and said that he didn't know.

-Dick LeBeau, no one would argue that he may be one of the greatest defensive minds ever. As a HC of Cincinnatti he was 12-33 in 3 years.

Wade Phillips, was the HC for Buffalo and Dallas. Mediocre at best with those teams. While the DC in San Diego he had one of the premier 3-4 teams and look at what he's done in Houston in 1 season with their D.

Quote Originally Posted by Brtnder81 View Post
    so whats the connection between him and the Harbaugh family? because we all know Harbs only hires friends of the family

He is his father's mother's sister's next door neighbor's former coach.

You know, I take guys who fail at HC with a grain of salt. Seriously, look at some of the best coordinators in the NFL and they have all been mediocre at best or complete failures as head coaches.
    Cam! :P

Blog Entries

only negative is that sports talk will be FLOODED with idiots clamoring for Manning now.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Blog Entries

I love this move. I said before that I'd be fine with keeping Cam if they brought in a good QB coach, and they got a good one in Caldwell. I'm sure he will be able to help Flacco out a lot.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    Quality response to an absolutely horrible post. Kudos for Red Foreman as well.

This is an absolutely great hire for more than one reason. His record of coaching one of the greatest QBs of all time speaks for itself. now i dont think he comes in here and all of a sudden Joes throwing for 4800 yards and 40 TDs, but i do think hell bring knowledge that will improve his game immensely. Another reason would be, we now have another coach capable of calling a game. If Cam stumbles or is as stuck in his ways as hes showed to be in the past, they now can pull the plug. Not saying they would, but the threat of being able to should get the best out of Cam. Its really a win win in all facets. New blood from a successful regime will only bring good things to this offense.
    Agreed.

Just knowing that Caldwell has spend 10 years watching Peyton break down film, study, and work out is going to give him a really nice variety of tools to teach Flacco. He'll watch film with Flacco and listen to Flacco's thoughts on the problems, etc and then Caldwell can chime in afterwards and go "Well, did you look at this?...this is what Peyton would have been looking at...I think you should be paying attention to this...etc"

Just having that extra set of eyes is going to be SO important.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA

It's a smart move. Caldwell would also make it possible to dump Cam mid season if they felt the need to.

edit: I see Scallywag beat me to it. Glad I'm not the only one seeing this option
    I think the offense would have to really be bad for them to nix Cam midway through the season, but I do agree that this is a smart move because if gives them a viable option just in case. Part of the problem this past season was that they didn't have anyone who had experience as a play caller and game planner. Well, now they do.