Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 13141516 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: The Thanksgiving Day Game(s) Thread

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Anyway looking at the bright side. I actually am starting to get some doubt about this Houston team, and if we can seal the number 2 seed, I would not be surprised at all if we end up playing Denver or New England at home in the AFCCG (providing we win our divisional game).

I don't see Houston beating the Patriots in the playoffs. They can get away with those mistakes against bad teams like Detroit and Jax, but the Patriots will make them pay. Plus, the Patriots will spread them out much like the Jaguars and Lions did. Their defense is not that great when you go 4 wide and double Watt. Stafford had all day to throw for a good part of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by SNAFU View Post
    Here is why the rule is stupid. Say, Detroit doesn't throw the red flag, but Houston does. Penalty, no review, and the TD is kept. Stupid, stupid, rule. Get rid of it NFL!
    That thought crossed my mind also. I'd have to see the actual wording of the rule, but as explained, the team that had the benefit of the call could short-circuit the review process by throwing the challenge flag on their own touchdown.

It is, by far, the dumbest rule I've ever heard of in any sport. "You threw the challenge flag on a play that automatically gets reviewed, so now we won't review it. Neener Neener." Absurd.

Quote Originally Posted by moose10101 View Post
    That thought crossed my mind also. I'd have to see the actual wording of the rule, but as explained, the team that had the benefit of the call could short-circuit the review process by throwing the challenge flag on their own touchdown.

It is, by far, the dumbest rule I've ever heard of in any sport. "You threw the challenge flag on a play that automatically gets reviewed, so now we won't review it. Neener Neener." Absurd.
    I can't see what could stop Houston from throwing the red flag. If they did, no review could take place. The TD would be confirmed since no review would take place. The unsportmanlike conduct penalty for throwing the red flag would occur on the kickoff. Could you imagine the conversation with the ref and the Houston coach when the ref comes over to ask what you're challenging:

Ref: What are you challenging?

Coach: I'm challenging my runner was down, knee and elbow, on the play.

Ref: You must be nuts! You can't throw a red flag on a automatic booth review. Unsportsmanlike conduct, 15 yards on the kickoff. And NO REVIEW at all for you citing Rule 15 section 9.

Coach: I am nuts! And thank you for the TD!
    Last edited by SNAFU; 11-23-2012 at 10:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Pissed off with the Lions game, and definitely feel sorry for Lions fans too. They were fucking robbed off that game, but the silly mistakes they made in OT were inexcusable at times. You JUST can't fumble the ball in OT like Pettigrew did, he really hasn't been as impressive as I though he'd be in the NFL.

Anyway looking at the bright side. I actually am starting to get some doubt about this Houston team, and if we can seal the number 2 seed, I would not be surprised at all if we end up playing Denver or New England at home in the AFCCG (providing we win our divisional game).
    Houston is the team to beat. Their last two games have not been pretty but to play 10 quarters of football 4 days apart and come out victorious is pretty damn impressive to me. Everyone keeps knocking the Ravens for how they arrived at their 8-2 record, as a fanbase I would expect all of us to appreciate how Houston has arrived at their record as well and recognized that they are clearly in the driver's seat for the #1 seed as of right now. I'm fully aware that they argueably have the toughest remaining 5 games.

I can't see what could stop Houston from throwing the red flag. If they did, no review could take place. The TD would be confirmed since no review would take place. The unsportmanlike conduct penalty for throwing the red flag would occur on the kickoff. Could you imagine the conversation with the ref and the Houston coach when the ref comes over to ask what you're challenging:

Ref: What are you challenging?

Coach: I'm challenging my runner was down, knee and elbow, on the play.

Ref: You must be nuts! You can't throw a red flag on a automatic booth review. Unsportsmanlike conduct, 15 yards on the kickoff. And NO REVIEW at all for you citing Rule 15 section 9.

Coach: I am nuts! And thank you for the TD!
    Yeah. I saw one of the talking heads claim the rule only prevents "favorable" reviews, whatever that means. I see no such language in rule book. Though I suppose one could argue that your coach committing a foul would not be considered a foul to "prevent" their own (next) snap.

The bottomline is the league and this rule are a joke. Arbitrarily deciding to refuse to correct their own refs' errors as some kind of penalty (in addition to the unsportsmanlike penalty) to a team that is just trying to prevent the refs from massively affecting the outcome of the game in the first place is just dumb. The replacement refs at no point in any of their games affected the outcome as much as the utter disgraceful call and non-review. Even the inane Seattle/GB ending, though absurd, can be argued to be some kind of (mis)judgment call.

Quote Originally Posted by Haloti92 View Post
    Yeah. I saw one of the talking heads claim the rule only prevents "favorable" reviews, whatever that means. I see no such language in rule book. Though I suppose one could argue that your coach committing a foul would not be considered a foul to "prevent" their own (next) snap.

The bottomline is the league and this rule are a joke. Arbitrarily deciding to refuse to correct their own refs' errors as some kind of penalty (in addition to the unsportsmanlike penalty) to a team that is just trying to prevent the refs from massively affecting the outcome of the game in the first place is just dumb. The replacement refs at no point in any of their games affected the outcome as much as the utter disgraceful call and non-review. Even the inane Seattle/GB ending, though absurd, can be argued to be some kind of (mis)judgment call.
    I wish someone would present this unique situation to the NFL offices. I would like a clear answer to this situation. If any NFL head coach knew this is legal, can you imagine the problems it would cause. Any head coach could throw an illegal red flag to prevent a booth review if it's to their advantage. Asinine!

Here is why the rule is stupid. Say, Detroit doesn't throw the red flag, but Houston does. Penalty, no review, and the TD is kept. Stupid, stupid, rule. Get rid of it NFL!
    No.

The outcome automatically favors the team that did not throw the flag.

If Houston threw the flag, which would never have happened, by default the ruling favors Detroit, resulting in no TD.

Either way it's a stupid rule.
    “Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.”

–Eleanor Roosevelt

iggyman555 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Sirdowski View Post
    No.

If Houston threw the flag, which would never have happened, by default the ruling favors Detroit, resulting in no TD.

ca you expand on this please

Quote Originally Posted by Sirdowski View Post
    No.

Uuh, where does it say that in the rule book, or could you provide any kind of link?

It's almost like they made a rule up, it sounded good in theory then when it was actually applied all of a sudden it isn't so good after all. Hmm

Blog Entries

there should be commons sense applied at all times. Give the Lions a 15 yard penalty for throwing the red flag, no problem. But get the play right, geez

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    there should be commons sense applied at all times. Give the Lions a 15 yard penalty for throwing the red flag, no problem. But get the play right, geez
    This is what the NFL should be interested in(getting the play right). Hell. they should start reviewing PI calls that envolve criticial plays. Maybe all penalties and start getting rid of referees who consistently blow calls.