Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Flacco uses the R-word....great....

oh brother...

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Re: Joe Flacco blasts cold-weather Bowl

There's a difference between playing in cold weather (which Joe enjoys) and playing the superbowl in cold weather. I think is where Joe was trying to make the distinction that the superbowl has been played either in a warm weather city or inside a dome for years, why change it now? I think that's what he's questioning.

America is soft as cupcakes. "Retarded" is offensive to people with mental disabilities, boo-hoo.
    So by Flacco switching to calling it stupid, does that mean he's being intolerant of all the people who've flunked math class?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Whitty Hutton View Post
    America is soft as cupcakes. "Retarded" is offensive to people with mental disabilities, boo-hoo.
    So by Flacco switching to calling it stupid, does that mean he's being intolerant of all the people who've flunked math class?
    :word

Quote Originally Posted by pslholder96 View Post
    There's a difference between playing in cold weather (which Joe enjoys) and playing the superbowl in cold weather. I think is where Joe was trying to make the distinction that the superbowl has been played either in a warm weather city or inside a dome for years, why change it now? I think that's what he's questioning.
    :word

As someone who has a child with an intellectual disability (that's the preferred medical term for "retarded" now), I feel I'm somewhat especially qualified to comment on this issue.

Am I glad that "retarded" is not considered a publicly polite word anymore? Yes
    Am I pissed at Flacco or do I think he's a bad person for saying it? No
    Did I cringe when I read that he said it? Yes

For better or worse (and I'm going to go ahead and say better, given my son's situation), "retarded" is considered an impolite term in today's world. Flacco saying that in an interview is just embarrassing for him and his media handlers on the Ravens. It's not a huge deal, but it's equivalent of him showing up for a formal dinner in a T-shirt, someone in his situation really just ought to know better.

It's true that all sorts of words aren't PC anymore, and some are better than others. I think words that have been primarily used in a derogatory way becoming not PC (N-word being the best example of all) is a good thing. I think other terms have become PC are just clunky and silly. And I think PC expectations vary from person to person and situation to situation. If I'm in a business meeting in NYC, I crank my PC meter up all the way. If I'm talking with the guy that works on my mower, I crank it all the way down (and I wouldn't be offended or surprised if that guy said "gay" or "retarded" in non-insulting ways). But you better believe that a press conference during Super Bowl week has the PC meter cranked to 11, and Flacco looks stupid for not realizing it. It's also not something that an "elite" QB would do, there's no way that Manning or Brady would have this problem.

The best wording he could of used... no but he is a football player not a public relations consultant.

It may not be a rainbow world, but the simple fact is that people who are "different" are always going to get made fun of... especially as children. And I could easily defend the word "retard" Learn the roots of words, and compare what it means versus the alternates...

So let Flacco play football... !!!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by admartian View Post
    Non-issue really. He wasn't attacking anyone; not even an individual or group.

Unless of course there is an active group or PR person for "Sueprbowls of past and future for colder climates" representative that would want to comment....

No? Then the world moves on I guess.

It's a little bit of an issue. Hence, the R-word campaign and his fellow Blue Hen's involvement with that.

With that said, he caught himself, and corrected himself.
    "A lot" is a two word expression denoting a great deal or greatly, as in "I like sunshine a lot." "Alot" is a lovable imaginary grammar monster. You can love a lot; you can love an alot; you can love alots a lot; but they are not the same thing.

Ran across this somewhere, and still haven't come up with a better descriptor:

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end."

Blog Entries

I should also point out that an evolving language and terms formally considered appropriate becoming impolite isn't what PC ever was about. When people accuse such examples as being PC, or a PC society run amuck, they don't really understand what PC is. Political Correctness, which was an academic issue in the 90's, was ridiculous. This isn't that.
    "A lot" is a two word expression denoting a great deal or greatly, as in "I like sunshine a lot." "Alot" is a lovable imaginary grammar monster. You can love a lot; you can love an alot; you can love alots a lot; but they are not the same thing.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by redmike34 View Post

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end."
    That's all and good. But this isn't an example of Political Correctness.

Quote Originally Posted by redmike34 View Post

LOL. That's a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by Flipping Birdie View Post
    That's all and good. But this isn't an example of Political Correctness.
    I believe it most certainly is.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dweezil22 View Post
    As someone who has a child with an intellectual disability (that's the preferred medical term for "retarded" now), I feel I'm somewhat especially qualified to comment on this issue.

Am I glad that "retarded" is not considered a publicly polite word anymore? Yes
    Am I pissed at Flacco or do I think he's a bad person for saying it? No
    Did I cringe when I read that he said it? Yes

For better or worse (and I'm going to go ahead and say better, given my son's situation), "retarded" is considered an impolite term in today's world. Flacco saying that in an interview is just embarrassing for him and his media handlers on the Ravens. It's not a huge deal, but it's equivalent of him showing up for a formal dinner in a T-shirt, someone in his situation really just ought to know better.

It's true that all sorts of words aren't PC anymore, and some are better than others. I think words that have been primarily used in a derogatory way becoming not PC (N-word being the best example of all) is a good thing. I think other terms have become PC are just clunky and silly. And I think PC expectations vary from person to person and situation to situation. If I'm in a business meeting in NYC, I crank my PC meter up all the way. If I'm talking with the guy that works on my mower, I crank it all the way down (and I wouldn't be offended or surprised if that guy said "gay" or "retarded" in non-insulting ways). But you better believe that a press conference during Super Bowl week has the PC meter cranked to 11, and Flacco looks stupid for not realizing it. It's also not something that an "elite" QB would do, there's no way that Manning or Brady would have this problem.
    VERY good post. Said much better than my knee jerk reaction to it.

He caught himself, but only in the sense he knew that wouldn't go over well. I hope over time, he does work that word out of his vocab, but that's his prerogative. Knowing our owner and that John Harbaugh was hired because he was more of a "corporate coach"...I'm betting the Ravens have at least a quick conversation with him about it. Probably quicker than the one BA got, but still...

He's not a PR guru, but no football player is. Doesn't mean they won't get blasted and picked apart for what they say. That slip up might be relatively minor, but you saw what BA got last week for a series of simple tweets about Patriots offense being gimmicky.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!