Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Matt Ryan and RG3 ranked ahead of Joe Flacco on NFL Top 100 list

Why should anyone on here care what some meathead at ESPN or NFL Network or anywhere else thinks about Joe Flacco?
    Joe might be the one guy who should care and my guess is that the ring on his finger tells him all he needs to know about were he ranks.
    Let the media fawn over Ryan, Kaeperpick, RGIII, Wilson and whoever. They can fawn all they like while we are busy counting playoff victories and shining Lombardi trophies.
    “A linebacker's job is to knock out running backs, to knock out receivers, to chase the football,”
    -Ray Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    Another dumb opinion list? Why does anyone care...
    To further illustrate why one should not care about this dumb opinion list, I would remind everyone that the rankings in this particular dumb opinion list are based on how voters think the player will perform in 2013. Past stats, playoff appearances and even Super Bowls have nothing to do with it beyond how the voter thinks the player will improve or decline in the coming year.

I wish we had a "tits-on-a-bull" icon to express how we feel about dumb opinion lists like this lol.
    Twenty years of Cheers.
    Thanks Baltimore Ravens Fans - You're the Best!

Quote Originally Posted by IBleedPurple2127 View Post
    Haha yea...maybe it was a heat of the moment thing. I respect everything you just said...maybe I need to have that realization as well.
    Haha, it'll come! But I understand your need to start the thread. Sometimes one just has this immediate reaction to lists/rankings re: the Ravens because they are such obvious bullcrap!
    My Ravens Blog: Brittany Rants About Football
    Ravens-Redskins: Dissecting the Final Drive

"The days are long. But the years are short." - John Harbaugh

I just don't understand the love for Ryan. He has arguably the best receiving corps in the game, he plays in a division filled with weak defenses, he plays over half his games in domes and he never plays cold weather games or in nasty elements. Flacco has never had consistent at the receiver position, never had even a very good receiving corps, never plays in domes, plays a lot of games in nasty weather and in the cold, and plays against excellent defenses almost every game. Matt Ryan plays in the most QB friendly system in the NFL and Flacco plays in a very, very tough situation for the QB to be successful and yet they have relatively comparable numbers and Flacco can actually get it done in the post season. It is extremely easy to demonstrate, given all of those facts, that Flacco has had the more impressive career so far.

Blog Entries

Oy, my peeps...:grbac:

Pleeeeeeez keep in the forefront of your mind the fact that the media's primary job--like that of everyone else in this Tiffany-twisted society--is to make money for their owners.

They make money by selling ad space/time. What they can charge for it depends on the size & type of audience that see/hear/read whatever's in that slot. Audience depends on what surrounds that ad space/time.

What surrounds that ad/space time is therefore oriented to attract an audience easily persuaded to part with their bucks for stuff that can be sold for as much as possible over & above what it costs to make.**

Therefore all sports media pander to the fans either by telling most of them what they want to hear (e.g., pimping teams & players from teams with "national followings" consisting of refugees from the economically-depressed old home town [think Mullethead Diaspora], bandwagon fans from bygone eras & current bandwagoners), or by letting the inmates run the asylum (e.g., via "fan polls").

And if you're a columnist/onscreen personality, you keep your job by generating the audience for those ads. You can do that in one of 3 ways: being right most all the time, shilling for the teams/players the audience loves (while crapping on the teams/players they love to hate), or putting out outrageous crap to make the blood boil. The first method is hard; you actually have to know something & work at it. The latter two methods are easy & often readily combined. Guess which group most commentators fall into.

Duh.

** NB "Fan loyalty" crap is about as marked up over its intrinsic value as anything you can name. Or did you think that "Super Bowl XLVII Champions" hat was actually worth $35? But it usually sells itself without advertising so it doesn't count here...

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleApocalypse37 View Post
    If Joe Flacco has similiar individual playoff success next year and wins the Super Bowl, he will be a top 10 quarterback in NFL history.

18-2 TD/INT ratio in playoffs the past 3 years. That's with two dropped game winning touchdowns. Montana had a 3 year stretch where he went 22-3. Other than that, nobody else has had the same caliber of success in a 3 year span. If Flacco continues that next year, and wins another Super Bowl, Flacco will be exploring unchartered territory.
    That is not even slightly possible.

I have no problem with Joe's ranking overall, but I absolutely have a problem with who is ahead of him. We've been over the Ryan thing hundreds of times so no use getting into it again. RGIII wasn't even the best rookie QB last year, yet he's a top 5 QB suddenly?

Watch a game of his, nearly every pass he hits is to a wide open receiver because everyone sold out to stop him and Morris running their pistol gimmick. Also, every "long" pass I can recall him hitting was a 10 yard-ish pass where the receiver ended up getting a tremendous amount of YAC. Ridiculous that he is this high.

Formerly Carpetbaggerville (IND) --now back in MD
    Blog Entries

Yea I'm tired of getting worked up about this stuff anymore. (although sometimes I can't help it if it's TOO outrageous) Lets face it..... we will never be the apple of the national media's or fan's eye or anyone's sentimental favorite or anything like that. So be it. Someone here has a closing signature that says something like "Everyone hates us and we don't care." Yea.... that's pretty much where I am now.

All I know is I'll take my QB against anyone else's anyday cause all he does is win.

Blog Entries

I hate lists period. Lists are extremely stupid for a team sport.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TheSpiderWebb View Post

I have no problem with Joe's ranking overall, but I absolutely have a problem with who is ahead of him. We've been over the Ryan thing hundreds of times so no use getting into it again. RGIII wasn't even the best rookie QB last year, yet he's a top 5 QB suddenly?

Watch a game of his, nearly every pass he hits is to a wide open receiver because everyone sold out to stop him and Morris running their pistol gimmick. Also, every "long" pass I can recall him hitting was a 10 yard-ish pass where the receiver ended up getting a tremendous amount of YAC. Ridiculous that he is this high.
    If RG3 has a halfway decent year this year, he'll be #1 next year. Even more than Kap, he's got this rockstar persona to the media and the Redskins fans. I swear, they believe he can walk on water.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TheSpiderWebb View Post

What do you mean? Look at his playoff stats between 88 and 90. I'm talking about his td/int ratio, not his W/L record.

The biggest travesty about the list is the fact that Jimmy Graham isn't on there AT ALL. WTF?

Quote Originally Posted by lobachevsky View Post
    Oy, my peeps...:grbac:

Pleeeeeeez keep in the forefront of your mind the fact that the media's primary job--like that of everyone else in this Tiffany-twisted society--is to make money for their owners.

They make money by selling ad space/time. What they can charge for it depends on the size & type of audience that see/hear/read whatever's in that slot. Audience depends on what surrounds that ad space/time.

What surrounds that ad/space time is therefore oriented to attract an audience easily persuaded to part with their bucks for stuff that can be sold for as much as possible over & above what it costs to make.**

Therefore all sports media pander to the fans either by telling most of them what they want to hear (e.g., pimping teams & players from teams with "national followings" consisting of refugees from the economically-depressed old home town [think Mullethead Diaspora], bandwagon fans from bygone eras & current bandwagoners), or by letting the inmates run the asylum (e.g., via "fan polls").

And if you're a columnist/onscreen personality, you keep your job by generating the audience for those ads. You can do that in one of 3 ways: being right most all the time, shilling for the teams/players the audience loves (while crapping on the teams/players they love to hate), or putting out outrageous crap to make the blood boil. The first method is hard; you actually have to know something & work at it. The latter two methods are easy & often readily combined. Guess which group most commentators fall into.

Duh.

** NB "Fan loyalty" crap is about as marked up over its intrinsic value as anything you can name. Or did you think that "Super Bowl XLVII Champions" hat was actually worth $35? But it usually sells itself without advertising so it doesn't count here...
    Winner! Shut the thread down now.