Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: Ravens Money Grab - Shafts PSL Holders

Yes I did win the tickets and they were $ 850 Face Value. I have two PSL's in Section 142 and one in 140. My wife has three in 140 and two in 142, but she was notified that she was not selected. With the number of PSL owners, I did not expect to get picked.

In getting our PSL's we have run into a lot of people who buy/sell on a regular basis. Since somebody mentioned elsewhere that there are Ravens' fans who are hustling their tickets for a profit, how many are simply marketeers? They are putting out the product for the best price. I would prefer that true fans get the options, but there is no way to make that call. I am glad for the opportunity, but would not feel slighted if I had not won. The hotels, the airlines, the businesses - they will all look to get the money.

I did notice last night when I picked up my tickets that the woman asked if I was a PSl owner or from a suite. I was directed to the second window to pick up the tickets I have no idea what was different about the pick-up process.

Look, the Super Bowl is a mega-event that is for the Bigger Pockets. Those of us who are involved during the season and year to year can still be in the game (at a market price), but it is not a reward process. I pay the season tickets for my pleasure, not to get any special rights to the Super Bowl. As far as I recall, I was made no promises about the likelihood of getting tickets. I would love to have a lot of other things too, but what happens, happens. I do not control it, so I try to live with it (except for last year's AFCCG, the 2006 Playoff Game, ...).
    Captain Offense

Simple numbers, 150,000 people can't fit into a single stadium so people get left out. The fact that 65% of tickets do not go to the teams is lamentable but it's the sport we follow and it's their rules. We just need a bigger stadium for the superbowl with 250,000 seats. Wonder that would look like?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Offense View Post
    Yes I did win the tickets and they were $ 850 Face Value. I have two PSL's in Section 142 and one in 140. My wife has three in 140 and two in 142, but she was notified that she was not selected. With the number of PSL owners, I did not expect to get picked.
    Well, that's encouraging since my tickets are in section 140 and my buddies tickets are in 142. Just like the Papa Johns pizza and Sun giveaways I keep missing the goodies by a smidgen. I just have to win the superbowl ticket lottery next year.

The issue is really all about whether the Ravens hold any of their allocated tickets back for sale in the secondary market. Either they do or they don't. If they don't, the OP has nothing to complain about. If they do, I think his complaint is somewhat valid, even if the situation would be unsurprising in the grand scheme of things. I also suspect that they do not simply 'keep' some of the allocation just to sell at secondary prices (I could be wrong, and have yet to hear a definitive answer).

Quote Originally Posted by Haloti92 View Post
    The issue is really all about whether the Ravens hold any of their allocated tickets back for sale in the secondary market. Either they do or they don't. If they don't, the OP has nothing to complain about. If they do, I think his complaint is somewhat valid, even if the situation would be unsurprising in the grand scheme of things. I also suspect that they do not simply 'keep' some of the allocation just to sell at secondary prices (I could be wrong, and have yet to hear a definitive answer).
    There's nothing for the team to hold back. That's the point.

Tickets come from the league. The "allotment" is set by the league. When PSL holders get selected, you buy the tickets from the league.

Quote Originally Posted by Haloti92 View Post
    I would be shocked if the Ravens directly sold on the secondary market given the stink that came up when one assistant coach got caught selling 2 of his tickets a few years back.

Now...are some of their corporate sponsors, advertisers, etc. turning around and selling their tickets? Probably...but that is a different story.

Quote Originally Posted by ravenfever_com View Post
    Would be very interesting to hear if any PSL Holders were selected for SuperBowl Tickets and how much they had to fork over for the "Right" and/or "Privilege" to watch the Ravens play live.

If you did get tickets at "Face Value" (value means something I guess) how much was it and how many could you purchase?
    I am a psl owner and did not get selected however I know of two other psl owners who were selected for Super Bowl tickets.

Quote Originally Posted by RavensDomination View Post
    One day if I hit the lottery, and the Ravens make the Super Bowl in the same year, I will take 50 people from here!
    Would you take someone from here who was also a member of the Baltimore Marching Ravens band?
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Complaining about it on the internet, while not canceling your season tickets or impacting their bottom line in any way will show 'em!

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    There's nothing for the team to hold back. That's the point.

Tickets come from the league. The "allotment" is set by the league. When PSL holders get selected, you buy the tickets from the league.

Yeah, but there is a difference between face value the league accepts and the value in the secondary market. This is where someone with access to tickets at the former prices can make money by selling the tickets at the latter prices. So the issue is who gets access to tickets at the former prices, i.e. who is in charge of determining that (I assumed the Ravens, when it comes to Ravens fans PSL lotteries, etc, but I may be wrong).

Quote Originally Posted by camdenyard View Post
    No offense, but the OP was pretty naive to send this. A Super Bowl is not like a Ravens home game or even a conference championship game. Each NFL team receives an allotment of tickets. A shitload of tickets go directly to NFL affiliates, VIPs, corporate sponsors and networks...and to NFL office and friends of the NFL. I don't know the exact allocation, but once it's said and done about 75% goes to all NFL teams, which they distribute to fans as they deem fit. The two participating teams receive the biggest percentage, each getting about 17 percent of the tickets available.

So the Ravens may get about 9,000 tickets. Understand that suite holders are guaranteed 1:1. The rest are heavily weighted to club seat holders. So the odds of your average upper level seat holder winning is very small. And prices are set by the league office. And Steve Bisciotti doesn't control the secondary market.

NOTE: THE RAVENS GET 17.5 PERCENT OF THE TICKETS AT THE SUPERDOME. That is around 13,000. The other 35 percent of the tickets goes to the other NFL teams. 1 percent to a lottery held for anyone (see NFL.com). The balance to corporate sponsors.

Blog Entries

I also know a PSL holder (not suite) who got tickets...

You can be pissed about it, but I don't think the Ravens are doing anything underhanded. PSL owners are getting the seats, just that there's many many MANY more PSL holders than there are tickets available to them.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!