Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Jimmy Smith lost 15 pounds, and apparently looking really good in OTAs.

He says he did it in order to be faster, and he is, from all reports, looking really good in OTA's and harbs says he expects greatness from him..... Losing 15 pounds puts him at 201 pounds right now. Which means he was about 216 last season. We shall see if it has a positive or negative impact on his press coverage. If harbs and co are okay with this, then i'm all for it. 201 is by no means small.

The kid has CRAZY potential, i'm glad to see he's actually really been working hard this OTA's, and being the pro we all hoped he would be.

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/media...913cb3756bf91f
    Last edited by BleedPurple92; 06-06-2012 at 11:22 PM.
    Lardarius "The predator" Webb

Re: Jimmy Smith lost 15 pounds, and apparently looking really good in OTAs.

Good stuff, i think the loss will help him, he seems naturally strong and rangy but the weight loss should help him in off man and against smaller WR's

Blog Entries

As long as he kept/ improved his strength, I don't see a negative in it.
    "What would you give for the man beside you?"

Quote Originally Posted by Jayc00 View Post
    As long as he kept/ improved his strength, I don't see a negative in it.
    Right, i'm not gonna lie, the player that scared me the most coming into this offseason was Smith, with his background, and potential, it would have been tragic if he got into trouble this offseason, or better yet was out of shape, and basically got comfortable, and the fact that he's actually in camp right now, when he doesn't' have to be, combine with him impressing everyone, in how much he has gotten better, is incredible news. I hope this keeps up.

If he gets the a great players work ethic, combine with his physical tools. WOW.
    Lardarius "The predator" Webb

At 200lbs (as a CB) Smith should be able play press at the line. With a drop in weight such as mentioned he should also be better and faster in coverage. It seems like he takes his job seriously and this is a very good thing IMO. Of course strength and conditioning are very important. I'm happy to see him with the team.

Blog Entries

Yeah I agree, all rookies get burned by veteren receievers here and there, but I think he really learned from that San Diego game and wants to be fast enough to go deep with receivers and cover. At the end of the day he is going to have to do both, he is most likely going to be the starter in week 1, right now there where no issues with him pressing the box from what I've seen, he is a big phsyical corner, and at 201 lbs can still be that guy.

What ever happened to the "bad character" Jimmy Smith ALL the draft analysts where talking about?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    What ever happened to the "bad character" Jimmy Smith ALL the draft analysts where talking about?
    seeing as everything happened when he was 19, long long gone.

Hes another Raven i expect to have a huge jump. Pass rush helps the DBs but having 2-3 DBs with the ability we do will help offset the loss of suggs too. I think he puts together a strong season.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

I wonder if at some point they'll consider moving him back to FS?

He's got the size & range for it. Not that he can't play corner or anything. I think he's going to be a good one. However, if Chykie Brown or Asa Jackson end up developing like Webb did it might be something to think about because from what I've read, Thompson (the rookie) seems to be more of a SS than a FS.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I wonder if at some point they'll consider moving him back to FS?

He's got the size & range for it. Not that he can't play corner or anything. I think he's going to be a good one. However, if Chykie Brown or Asa Jackson end up developing like Webb did it might be something to think about because from what I've read, Thompson (the rookie) seems to be more of a SS than a FS.
    I don't know. It's harder to find good corners than safeties, and considering he's never played there, I would think they would leave him alone at corner.

id rather have two shutdown corners, if he develops into that. That one shutdown, one average and one average safety. He wont be an Ed Reed at Safety, he'd be at best middle of the pack. Id take my chances with the two shutdown corners and one average safety via draft/FA when the time comes that ed retires

Courtney upshaw looks to be in a little bit better shape as well. You can see more cuts in his arm muscles. Good to see, because he didnt look to be in the best shape coming out of college.

Jimmy Smith is going to be another chris mccalister for us. Ive said it from day 1 and I doubt we will see cary williams on the team after this year. Maybe we'll give him a contract, but doubtful.

Blog Entries

This was one of those cases where a bravado was mistaken for a bad character. He had about three clean years at Colorado and graduated. He is not a cocky guy who just thinks that he can show up and get the job done, without preparing for it. He is a confident guy who knows that he will put in the work to get the job done, and just happens to be willing to let you know it too.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore