Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Re: I think I'm getting burned out...

Keep in mind that the Patriots got beat by Kolb's Kardinals at home. That 49ers got taken to overtime by the Rams twice, one of them a tie and the other a loss. The Texans nearly got beat by the Jaguars and would have lost to the Lions if not for a stupid rule.

We're not the only imperfect team. I'm suggesting bottling up your despair until the final game gets played this season because the Ravens are certainly taking the fans on a roller coaster right now.

On another note... If you love your kids. Please don't decide to decorate your Christmas tree during or after a Ravens game.

I started stringing some lights during halftime. I poured some eggnog and added some bourbon sometime during the 3rd qtr. Thinking all the while, the Ravens would get a big Pick-6 or something to seal this game. I had to keep yelling at the kids to wait 'till after the game before we start to get bulbs out of the boxes... Then I've got my 2.5 year old dropping glass bulbs and the score is 20-20. The tree decorating was miserable and I'm pretty sure my kids got sick of me yelling at them about being careful with the glass ornaments. "Space them out...!", "Dammit, be careful with that bulb, it's an antique from Germany!", and of course "Don't hit your sister!" about 20 times.

Then my 5 year old son found a box of tinsel and ripped that shit open.

Please, if you don't want them to hate Christmas, decorate the tree on a Saturday night.

Quote Originally Posted by Shambla View Post
    We're not the only imperfect team. I'm suggesting bottling up your despair until the final game gets played this season because the Ravens are certainly taking the fans on a roller coaster right now.
    The point of the thread is that, for many of us, there is no despair, or anger, or frustration over yesterday's game. We're past that. Performances like this don't surprise us, and we've decided to step off the roller coaster.

Blog Entries

Personally I was burned out a few weeks ago. The Ravens showed some heart in winning tight games, but a number of posters have pointed out that despite their record they haven't been playing that well, which is true. Going 10-6 or 12-4 doesn't mean anything if you are playing poorly when you get into the playoffs, because you'll just be dumped straight out and all you have to show for it is picking in the bottom half of the draft rounds.

That first game statement when the Ravens came out to put the league on notice that they were a contender is a long time ago now. The lack of passrush talent and the inconsistency on offense, how many seasons have we been complaining about these issues?

iggyman555 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    We're just going to have to see how it plays out. Last year through 12 weeks the Giants were 6-6 and they had just finished up a 4 game losing streak.

In 2010 the Packers were 8-4. They would go 2-2 in their final 4 games.

Does anyone remember those regular seasons? Does it even matter? It's what they did in the playoffs that counts and both won 4 games there and became Champions. That's the burnout so many are feeling. We're all just waiting for when it really counts because we expect to in title contention every year.

those teams has Eli Manning and Aaron Rodgers...EOM

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Boulderraven View Post
    I've been burned out for about 3 years now. I dont get up for games or down when they lose. Just a Sunday pastime. Nothing better to do this time of year. Actually burned out on the NFL for the most part, just not a good product anymore. Still go, have good seats worth alot. But, ehhhhh. I don't expect much. If they catch lightning in a bottle or get a lucky break and win a SB or even get to one great, but low expectations. My freinds in thier 40's pretty much feel the same way, things are stale.
    But ratings are higher than they've ever been and there are more games decided in the last second. Very few blowouts are happening and more overtime games than normal. The NFL wants parity and they have it now more than ever before. Their network ratings show that it works...

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by akashicrecorder View Post
    Name-calling isn't necessary, especially sexist name-calling.

No one said the game was guaranteed. What we're saying is that, like usual, we sleptwalk through our own bed-shitting in a situation where all the stars were aligned for us.
    i think your whining about name calling is making his point for him.
    Last edited by TarHeels33; 12-03-2012 at 12:24 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by moose10101 View Post
    The point of the thread is that, for many of us, there is no despair, or anger, or frustration over yesterday's game. We're past that. Performances like this don't surprise us, and we've decided to step off the roller coaster.
    This x1,000,000,000,000,000,

Blog Entries

with what this FO has invested in this offense and coaching staff preformances like this is unacceptable, this team has been performing "like this" for about 2 months now this season and they did this shit last season as well. major changes need to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by wash yourself View Post
    i think you whining about name calling are making his point for him.
    She's right.

It's not necessary and certainly doesn't make the OP's point.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBKistler View Post
    Or, does anyone remember the 15-1 Packers last year, or the 13-3 Falcons from 2010, or the 16-0 Patriots from 2007? Well, yes, folks remember the Patriots perfect year, but it makes the point: What you do during the regular season has far less impact in the playoffs than what you do when the elimination games start.

I have said this before, and I don't mean any disrespect to anyone in particular, and it applies to me as well, but we have a very spoiled fanbase. In a few years, we could be saying, "Hey, remember when we used to have meaningful games in December?"
    Hey John, I have a slightly different take; we're not so much spoiled as tired of the same exact game startegy/mistakes being repeated (4) years now, with the only bright spot being Chuck P. as the D coord. for a year, but even that fell on deaf ears as Harbaugh resorted right back to a Matty D, and what's worse, someone with a proven track record of D mediocrity, a NE castoff.

We watch a QB make rookie mistakes with poor pocket presence fumble a game away, piss-poor time out calls, throwing on short yarage with a lead when the running game was working, and a (3) man rush, or lack of, giving Ben R. enough time to connect downfield to put his team in place to win. That was the playoff game in Pitt and yesterday's too 3 godamn years later. We subsidized on the job training as Harbaugh learned to HC, but even with his winning records, (yes and I'll run the obligatory comments that's he's not Rex R. but I chose to compare with what we could have been), we're frustrated watching "Groundhog Day".

We're running the same plays that didn't work in Philly, like shotgun on 3rd and 2, or giving QB's time to look like Unitas; Either we have great coaches, coaching to the expectations of the HC, or mediocre coaches with no engagement from the HC.

Quote Originally Posted by Beerracuda View Post
    Seriously. A loss like today's would normally send me into a fit of rage. The lucky wins we've had this year, and normally I would be picking over our deficiencies in spite of the win. Usually I'm cussing loudly about Cam Cameron.

But I've noticed this year, I'm just not doing that. I'm not getting too high after wins, and not too low after losses. The reason? I think it's because I'm so fed up with our coaches, I'm now used to it, or simply burned out. I said 3 years ago that we're never winning a Super Bowl with these coaches, and that hasn't changed one bit, despite being 9-3.

We've seen this same pattern repeatedly. Every time things are stacked up nicely for us, the team shits the bed, mainly through poor coaching decisions. Last year, we had a great opening day win against the Steelers, then traveled to Tennessee and lost embarassingly 26-13. A few weeks later, we were riding high at 4-1 after a win against Houston, then lost at Jacksonville pathetically 12-7. Then a great last-second win in Pittsburgh, followed by yet another sad effort in Seattle, 22-17.

Tonight, they had everything set for them - the division title, playing at home, playing against a 3rd string QB, and without several other starters, and the crowd ready to explode. What do they do? Shit the bed again.

It's obvious that they have the talent to beat anyone in the league. But they seem to have the coaching staff to lose to anyone on any day.

So why am I not all that upset after today's game? I'm burnt out... I've seen this act far too many times. I've seen that things just aren't going to change. No matter how many wake up calls we're given, this coaching staff simply refuses to change its ways. And because of that, it's hard for me to get excited about wins, when I know avoidable losses like tonight are right around the corner.
    Agreed. There is a reason this team hasn't won the SB or even got there. It's because this team plays not to lose instead of playing to win. They are not aggressive in any of the three facets of the game (O,D or ST). When you play not to lose the margain for error is a LOT smaller. Sooner or later it will catch up to you, especially against good or great teams.

There is another reason I'm not optimistic about this team. All the optimistic fans can point out that the teams that have won the SB recently are just the teams that got hot at the end of the season...or that there is no dominant team and all the other teams have looked bad at times. Maybe there isn't a dominant team in the NFL this year but every other division leader in the AFC has looked dominating at times, and in numerous games.

The Ravens have had one or maybe two games where they played well 60 minutes (truthfully one - Cincinnati). Once or twice out of twelve games. Even most .500 teams will play one or two great games through a whole 16 game season. Last year the Ravens might have had clunkers against Jacksonville or Seattle but they also had stretches where they looked like a great or a very good team. Last year we also had a top five defense to rely on. This year middle of the pack and that might be kind.

Even the teams that don't have great records but go on to go deep in the playoffs occasionally show glimmers of greatness at times. If you've gone 12 games deep into a season and have only played one complete game then there is a pattern. Is it possible they turn it around and go deep in the playoffs? Sure it's possible but when the same mistakes are not being corrected by both the coaching staff and players and there hasn't been a great performance by the entire team since opening week it doesn't give me much hope.
    Last edited by Cj34; 12-03-2012 at 01:36 PM.