Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Re: The Ravens organization is stuck in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt1 View Post
    I don't think wanting a power running game is an indication that the Ravens are stuck in the past. It is true that defense no longer wins championships. You can win a Super Bowl with an average defense, but you have to have an offense that can score 25-30 points/game on a consistent basis. The Ravens have to get back to being able to run the ball, which to me means addressing the OL talent and OL coaching in a big way in the off-season. Flacco is at his best when he can utilize play action, and throws around 30 passes per game. If the Ravens devise an offense that has Flacco throwing 40-50 passes per game, IMO Flacco and the Ravens offense will struggle. They will have multiple turnovers, and will not be efficient. They need to have a balanced attack. I would also like them to greatly expand their short passing game, using many more variations of screen passes and slants.
    Running the ball isn't in any way strongly correlated with either winning games or having a top offense in the NFL anymore. You need to be able to run the occasional draw or check into a run against a six man in the box set and pick up decent yardage, but beyond that it's almost totally irrelevant.

Passing and defense wins championships.

Blog Entries

In the current system, yes, Joe throwing the ball that many times would be bad. However, in a system that creates easier throws for him, I think he could show that he is more well versed than we see. Peyton and Brady both throw the ball a lot. Yet they see continued success. Flacco has shown that he can hang with them. He just can't do it consistently, because he doesn't have the consistent support that they have.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Brien Jackson View Post
    This is window dressing, at best.

Which is fine...but they're totally lacking in interior pass rushers, and it's clear that Ozzie doesn't prioritize those kinds of players at all. That kills them in medium yardage situations when they need to be able to dial up a stunt to get quick pressure in the QB's face.
    Window dressing or not, it's the system they are choosing to run which is fairly new to the NFL. They need to vastly improve how they run the system starting with the blocking up front, but it's not for lack of trying to modernize their offense.

I don't see how the defense is stuck in the past. Last week everyone was praising how they handled Megatron. They need more discipline and they do need to generate more pressure on the QB.

Again, I can agree they need to improve in several areas, but I can't agree the reasoning for their failures is they are stuck in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by ERey View Post
    Window dressing or not, it's the system they are choosing to run which is fairly new to the NFL. They need to vastly improve how they run the system starting with the blocking up front, but it's not for lack of trying to modernize their offense.
    The pistol is a formation, not an offensive system.

I don't see how the defense is stuck in the past. Last week everyone was praising how they handled Megatron. They need more discipline and they do need to generate more pressure on the QB.
    They build defensive lines designed to stop the run, not rush the passer.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt1 View Post
    I don't think wanting a power running game is an indication that the Ravens are stuck in the past. It is true that defense no longer wins championships. You can win a Super Bowl with an average defense, but you have to have an offense that can score 25-30 points/game on a consistent basis. The Ravens have to get back to being able to run the ball, which to me means addressing the OL talent and OL coaching in a big way in the off-season. Flacco is at his best when he can utilize play action, and throws around 30 passes per game. If the Ravens devise an offense that has Flacco throwing 40-50 passes per game, IMO Flacco and the Ravens offense will struggle. They will have multiple turnovers, and will not be efficient. They need to have a balanced attack. I would also like them to greatly expand their short passing game, using many more variations of screen passes and slants.
    This is definitely accurate. The biggest problem is that the talent level on offense dropped off more dramatically than we thought it would without Boldin, Birk, Osemele (out due to injury) and Pitta (out most of year due to injury).

Couple that with 6 new starters on D who still haven't exactly gelled completely and you get an 8-8 or 9-7 season instead of a 10-6 season.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Brien Jackson View Post
    The pistol is a formation, not an offensive system.

They build defensive lines designed to stop the run, not rush the passer.
    But if the formations are fairly new and the same as I what he rest of the league is running how can you say the the system is stuck in the past?

The Ravens were killed in the run last year. They needed help stopping the run. But they signed Dumerville and the first two draft picks were designed to address the pass happy league.

Blog Entries

Our third rd pick has been deactivated for the past 5 weeks or so. Why?

Quote Originally Posted by bt12483 View Post
    Our third rd pick has been deactivated for the past 5 weeks or so. Why?
    DeAngelo Tyson has been playing his ass off. Not the worst problem to have.

Quote Originally Posted by ERey View Post
    But if the formations are fairly new and the same as I what he rest of the league is running how can you say the the system is stuck in the past?
    Well, if you want to get literal like that, how old is the pistol formation? 60 years?

The Ravens were killed in the run last year. They needed help stopping the run. But they signed Dumerville and the first two draft picks were designed to address the pass happy league.
    "Help stopping the run" doesn't have to mean a roster where all of your defensive line are all big gap stuffers who don't have the athleticism to stunt or get after the passer. And having Dumervil and Suggs is nice, but as you see basically every week you're only getting limited utility out of having those edge rushers if there's NO pass rush coming up the middle and the quarterback can effortlessly step up in the pocket and get rid of the ball.

Blog Entries

The FO dropped the ball when they signed nothing but defensive help only 2 of those signings made sense with doom and smith the rest was a failure. They took away boldin and that made the picture clear, the one good thing they did was get monroe, this FO has done nothing to build a team around Flacco they gave him stones and are askig him to make soup now he is hurt because they gambled on a center who sucks balls and ass and never brought in quality backup at the gaurds and center positions now flacco is hurt how this kid is making plays is beyond me. He is literally carrying this team on his back literally, we have a bunch of fucktards coaching and harbaugh isn't excused his inefficiency is showing since our HOF players have left they don't do a thing to help joe out no imagination, no creativity the run game is abismal and they havent done shit to fix it. It started with the FO and end with the coaches they keep investing bums on this offense at some key positions they keep gambling on linemen that they take 200yrs develop only to find out they are class A bums. NE got half their Oline missing and brady gets sacked once by this 'vaunted' pass rush pees is a fuckin joke himself Pagano and rex would have this D number 1 in every category. Camwell, castillo, moeller, pess and gino all need to go, its been 10yrs of offensive struggle this is just fucking ridiculous at this point especially in a league that favors offense!!!
    Last edited by Jsmoove; 12-23-2013 at 12:50 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by s.r.genovese View Post
    DeAngelo Tyson has been playing his ass off. Not the worst problem to have.
    so if we have so much depth why not spend that 3rd pick on offense?

Quote Originally Posted by bt12483 View Post
    so if we have so much depth why not spend that 3rd pick on offense?
    Ask Ozzie. But Tyson didn't do much to think he'd break out last year.