Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: The Backup QB Situation ...

Prob will be some interesting guys potentially cut...

Josh Johnson, Tarvaris Jackson, Matt Moore, Kevin Kolb, Vince Young/Tyler Thigpen...
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by akashicrecorder View Post
    I disagree whole-heartedly. If Taylor looks as bad in a regular season game as he did tonight, he will not even be able to do the minimum that a back-up is supposed to be able to do: preserve a lead at least, or hold down the fort for two games at best. He looked like hot garbage tonight.
    It's a non issue because if Flacco goes, the season is toast anyway.

Guys like Yates are a rarity so to assume there is a QB out there that can give us the same talent is just silly.

3. Re: The Backup QB Situation ...

I like Painter and I seen enough of him to make him our back-up QB..He's decisive with his passes and he's pretty accurate except for that INT tonight. He stands in the pocket and can SEE OVER HIS O-LINEMEN, something Taylor CANNOT DO. Tyrod would be a GREAT back-up for M. Vick, but not Joe Flacco and this offense. Cut the cord with Taylor and move on. Maybe trade him to the Eagles for a draft pick?

+1

Quote Originally Posted by Tspot-D-Ravenator View Post
    I like Painter and I seen enough of him to make him our back-up QB..He's decisive with his passes and he's pretty accurate except for that INT tonight. He stands in the pocket and can SEE OVER HIS O-LINEMEN, something Taylor CANNOT DO. Tyrod would be a GREAT back-up for M. Vick, but not Joe Flacco and this offense. Cut the cord with Taylor and move on. Maybe trade him to the Eagles for a draft pick?
    Painter has looked serviceable against the twos and threes, even though that pick that ended the game tonight was pretty bad. Better option than Taylor at this point, I agree. We've seen what he wrought as a starter in Indy, but as a stopgap he might be OK.

I never got why people seemed to prefer Taylor as a backup because he is so different from Flacco. Wouldn't we want someone similar to Flacco, who is more easily plugged into the normal offense? Or was this sentiment coming from a more gadget play perspective?

6. Re: The Backup QB Situation ...

Quote Originally Posted by akashicrecorder View Post

I never got why people seemed to prefer Taylor as a backup because he is so different from Flacco. Wouldn't we want someone similar to Flacco, who is more easily plugged into the normal offense? Or was this sentiment coming from a more gadget play perspective?
    This

Totally unimpressed with Tyrod's play. Last year, I was warm to his style, thinking that he might be a good alternative with his speed. However, our offense is not built for a scrambler, and his arm is woefully below NFL standards. He was also very lucky to avoid that safety. Had there been starters in on defense, that definitely would've been 2 points for the Lions. Poor tackling saved his ass on that one.

I realize we're talking about a backup position here, and if Flacco goes down, we're in trouble no matter who's back there, as most NFL teams would. But if we're looking for speed at that position, we'd be just as good to use a RB or WR in a gadget play from time to time.

Painter's not much of an improvement, but he has shown some veteran presence, and his arm is much more accurate, which are the 2 most important things to look for in a backup QB.

Tyrod Taylor isn't worth the roster spot

Blog Entries

I said before and last night just made me feel like it even more, Taylor has value as an athlete, but he isn't a QB. I hope they are watching for cuts the next couple of weeks and maybe can get a little bit better veteran in here.

Don't think Painter is anything either, fwiw. But I would prefer him over Taylor given the choice of the two.

I agree with those that say that this is a moot point: if Flacco goes down for any length of time, the Ravens are done.

What you want out of the back-up QB is someone that can - wait for it - "manage the game" in the absence of the starting QB. Which means holding a lead in a game after a starter goes down, or making a start or two with a game plan crafted to minimize his importance (if possible).

But these are short-term options...if Flacco goes down for any length of time, I'll see you in 2013.

Taylor would be the Wildcat option. Pretty much all he can do is tuck and run. Painter's int was Streeter quiting on his route. Painter threw the ball to the spot he was going to, Streeter pulled up.

Both guys stink. Painter stinks less. At least he can complete an occasional pass.