Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Re: Caldwell Style

The Ravens have been centered around the run for a few years. It was ok when the defense was very good. It does not work when your defense is a sieve. I am not sure where this offense centered around Flacco ro Rice. The offense struggles just as much when they go run heavy because it is predictable. If you look at the long stretches of offensive futility there will be a lot of runs for little or no gain.

The issue with the Ravens offense is not a Flacco or Rice issue. It is a scheme and creativity issue. The Ravens are not a power running team. They just can't run over teams. Rice and Flacco perform best out of the single back. That is what they used to torch a very good Cincy defense. Problem is that as soon as they run into any issues they Harbaugh goes ultra conservative.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    he sucks at calling timeouts - hope Harbs doesn't let him do that ;)
    I'll never forget that game. The highlight of Mark Sanchez' career, thanks to Jim Caldwell.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

To return to the initial point of the thread, you can look back to the type of offense that was run in Indianapolis, because that is what influenced the change here with Caldwell's arrival.

That system is also a vertical passing system. However, the way that it was done in Indianapolis, more was done to set up the deep play. For example, many teams played two deep coverage on Manning, to prevent the quick strike and make him work his way down the field slowly. That was the best chance they had. So, you might have seen Reggie Wayne run about a half dozen quick slants, ins and hitches, before the safeties finally started creeping up. The CBs would get jumpy, and Manning would hit them with the slant and go.

It's something that this offense has needed for goodness knows how long.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Agreed, but wasn't the Indy offense more Tom Moore and Peyton Manning than Jim Cawdell?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by highwater View Post
    Agreed, but wasn't the Indy offense more Tom Moore and Peyton Manning than Jim Cawdell?
    That's what people like to think. However, Caldwell had already done wonders with Brad Johnson, before following Dungy to Indianapolis. Peyton gives a lot of credit to what Caldwell taught him and still uses many of his training methods to this day.

Blog Entries

Interesting reads, especially the Jason Cole article (Thanks SugarRay52)
    I had been saying I saw Arrogance but that is water under the dam now, he is gone, time to put is on the shelf and move on.

Caldwell?
    Like others here I have no idea as to what his game plan will look like.
    And that is a good thing
    Means that the next 2 games DCs will also have no idea how to plan/scheme against us, except for players strength/skills (take this away, don't let this person go that way -sort of things).

I also expect an extremely high level of energy as players set out to prove/approve the decision
    (Caveat- a very dinged D must hold up)

Like to refer back to an article by Derek Arnold posted at Russell Street Report titled boldin-tells-cam-to-stop-calling-the-same-routes

This week, the Rave TV cameras captured a very interesting exchange between Anquan Boldin and Cam Cameron.
    in the Chargers game
    http://russellstreetreport.com/boldi...e-same-routes/

Going to be some very interesting things to watch in the next weeks.
    Caldwell is a long time experienced professional, I don't doubt his ability to do it, like I said, going to be interesting reading microscope reports from others (like Filmstudy) here.
    at one point of my life I was exactly Pi years old

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector
    That's what people like to think. However, Caldwell had already done wonders with Brad Johnson, before following Dungy to Indianapolis. Peyton gives a lot of credit to what Caldwell taught him and still uses many of his training methods to this day.
    That's good to hear. Other than hearing that players like him, his potential as an OC has been a mystery to me.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by highwater View Post
    That's good to hear. Other than hearing that players like him, his potential as an OC has been a mystery to me.
    Now, Jim Zorn was also a very likeable coach who struggled calling plays in Washington. Then again, it is Washington and Zorn isn't Shanahan.

Hopefully this change will be refreshing for the entire offense. Joe can just go out and play football without having to play with that underlying tension that has existed between him and Cam for a few years now. They've played mostly tight the last two games.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Guys, I wouldn't get too used to Caldwell. Nor do I think his style is relevant.

The system is not going to that much different these three games (hopefully more). And if we flame out early in the playoffs, he most likely won't be the OC next season.

Especially if Norv or Hugh are unemployed.
    I don't disagree with your overall point, but if you're referring to Hugh Jackson here, I say NFW. There were all kind of reports from guys like Peter King and Don Banks that Harbaugh can't stand Jackson. IMO, no way he comes back here unless Harbaugh is out.
    Never get in a fight with a pig; you both get muddy, and the pig likes it...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by esmd View Post
    I don't disagree with your overall point, but if you're referring to Hugh Jackson here, I say NFW. There were all kind of reports from guys like Peter King and Don Banks that Harbaugh can't stand Jackson. IMO, no way he comes back here unless Harbaugh is out.
    not to mention he somewhat "dissed" the organization on his way out... reportedly. Bridges were burnt with Hugh.
    -JAB

Quote Originally Posted by esmd View Post
    There were all kind of reports out there that Cam would never be fired because of his friendship with Harbs.

Hue would be a long shot compared to Norv, sure, but I think the front office is smart enough to put aside petty differences to get a quality guy to run the offense.