Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Mayock's First Round

Here's Mel's final mock and he still has us taking Konz calling him the safe
    pick. I'd prefer High but if he isn't there Konz is OK. Like I said, everything I've seen has High ahead of Konz.

He has Piss taking High and NE taking McClellan.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...ctions/page/30

Keep in mind Ray wasn't supposed to be that good. Suggs and Ngata were lazy... It's about right player right team

Blog Entries

Ray dropped because of his size. Straight into Ozzie's lap.

Suggs dropped because of his poor 40 time. Phil Savage called Oz after his
    pro workout saying Suggs just dropped to us. Ozzie knew he was getting
    either Leftwich or Suggs.

I'M A FOOTBALL PLAYER, NOT A TRACK N FIELD STAR. T. SUGGS
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 04-26-2012 at 12:33 AM.

4. Re: Mayock's First Round

Hightower >>>> Konz all day. I don't like Konz and I'm pretty sure it won't happen but that's just me.

I'm watching Mayock's mock right now. He says we get Hightower. I won't complain.

Blog Entries

Everyone says that Hightower can't drop into coverage blah blah blah, so why don't we just draft someone who can do that after we draft Hightower. Tank Carder in the 4th could be that athletic ILB who can do the whole coverage thing, while Hightower can call the plays at the MIKE position and stuff the run, for the future I mean.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Everyone says that Hightower can't drop into coverage blah blah blah, so why don't we just draft someone who can do that after we draft Hightower. Tank Carder in the 4th could be that athletic ILB who can do the whole coverage thing, while Hightower can call the plays at the MIKE position and stuff the run, for the future I mean.
    You want to spend 2 draft picks on inside linebackers with 3 other guys already on the team? I just don't see that many snaps for Hightower and Carder.

Blog Entries

What should be understood about Hightower is that, although he is not as athletic as other LBs coming out, he is very athletic for his size.

Besides, AirFlacco is right. Most of the Ravens best defenders fall for some reason. Ray Lewis was considered too small. Terrell Suggs, much like Courtney Upshaw, was considered to not be athletic enough, particularly with speed off the edge (Not comparing the two as pass rushers, just as physical prospects and the knocks they both had on them.) It was said that Haloti Ngata took plays off. Jarret Johnson wasn't athletic enough. Terrance Cody had a weight problem. Lardarius Webb played inferior competition and wasn't supposed to be able to handle NFL competition.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

What should be understood about Hightower is that, although he is not as athletic as other LBs coming out, he is very athletic for his size.

Besides, AirFlacco is right. Most of the Ravens best defenders fall for some reason. Ray Lewis was considered too small. Terrell Suggs, much like Courtney Upshaw, was considered to not be athletic enough, particularly with speed off the edge (Not comparing the two as pass rushers, just as physical prospects and the knocks they both had on them.) It was said that Haloti Ngata took plays off. Jarret Johnson wasn't athletic enough. Terrance Cody had a weight problem. Lardarius Webb played inferior competition and wasn't supposed to be able to handle NFL competition.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

To the surprise of nobody, Mayock's draft was very well done.

I'm not in love with Hightower, but I don't think it's a bad pick by any means.

I remember back to the 07 draft when we took Grubbs. I felt the same way at the time. You want a first rounder who can get you excited about football when the season is still 4 months away....and Grubbs didn't do that for me. However, when the wait was over and the season started, you could see that he was a solid player and was going to help our franchise. Sometimes, you have to take the right player, even if he isn't glamourous. Konz and Hightower both fit that description. I won't be jumping up and down on draft day if we take either, but I won't be upset either. I was elated and glowing when we took Michael Oher. I was elated when we took Jimmy Smith last year.

I'm not sure that there is a single prospect that we can realistically expect to draft in round one who will make me pee my pants with joy, which is why I've been an advocate trading down. However, when I look at it in a more mature, logical light, I understand that Konz or Hightower are the type of picks that make good teams champions. You can't draft a RB, WR, QB, or pass rusher in the first round of every draft. You need to draft those big uglies as well and Hightower and Konz are very low-risk type picks.

Blog Entries

I just find Hightower completely uninspiring. Not even sure why. I just don't like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Van Cleef View Post
    I just find Hightower completely uninspiring.
    I agree with you, but the draft is about finding production, not about providing inspiration - unless the team is trying to sell tickets and build a fan base. I think the Ravens are trying to win a Super Bowl.