Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

John Beck

The Ravens are reportedly interested in this quarterback from BYU.

According to DF, the Ravens believe he may go as early as Detroit at 35. Could he be ours at 29? The write-up makes him sound like an excellent guy to have in the fold and develop for a year or two behind McNair. Elsewhere I saw him projected as a mid-rounder but the linked description sounds like someone who might ordinarily go in the 2d.

John Beck = QOTF? Maybe. . .
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

Re: John Beck

He's older then Boller... I like himm most as QB after Russell, and Quinn, but not as a first rounder. I liked hm more when I thoght he'd be a 4th rounder. Now I'll jump back on Stanton or Kolb. I do not want a QB taken before 61 unless it involves a trade-back. and an additional FIRST DAY pick.

The age doesn't bother me, unless he's been playing for those extra years, which he hasn't. Besides the age, what's the drawback?

Concerning when he's taken - it appears he is no longer a 4th rounder.

Comparisons to Boller are of course going to come, but would be inappropriate. Beck has a high completion percentage and has been successful for several years in a pro-style offense. He is in a way everything Boller was *not*, coming out of college. Accurate, calm, accomplished, the one thing he apparently lacks is Kyle's ability to throw the ball 2000 yards while standing on his head.

I leave it to the FO & their track record, but I won't be disappointed if they take Beck at 29.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

I'm a big Beck fan and I won't be upset if we take him at 29 (because he would have to be the BPA on our board), but I would have preferred him with our round 2 pick (for a while I thought we could get him even later). With the way he has been skyrocketing lately I don't know if it will be possible.

I actually think we may be better off waiting for a QB in next years superior draft.

Huge fan of John Beck. Wouldn't mind Kolb in 3 or lower. Wouldn't mind Jordan Palmer on the 2nd day. Would stay away from Drew Stanton like a chick with no pants with Ron Mexico.

Quote Originally Posted by RavensNTerps View Post
    Huge fan of John Beck. Wouldn't mind Kolb in 3 or lower. Wouldn't mind Jordan Palmer on the 2nd day. Would stay away from Drew Stanton like a chick with no pants with Ron Mexico.
    I've seen Jordan Palmer play a couple times. Lets just say he is the Brent Gretzky to Carson's Wayne Gretzky. Or in acting terms he would be Frank Stallone.

Drew Stanton reminds me of Kyle in their style of play (inconsistent and frustrating to watch), but I wouldn't mind taking him if he was still on the board after the 2nd round. The value would be there.

Would really like to pick up Jorden Palmer on the second day.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenWave52 View Post
    I've seen Jordan Palmer play a couple times. Lets just say he is the Brent Gretzky to Carson's Wayne Gretzky. Or in acting terms he would be Frank Stallone.

Drew Stanton reminds me of Kyle in their style of play (inconsistent and frustrating to watch), but I wouldn't mind taking him if he was still on the board after the 2nd round. The value would be there.
    I know. That is why I wouldn't spend more than a 5th round pick on him. He's a better prospect then guys like Josh Harris or Drew Olsen were.

Drew Stanton isn't even kyle boller. I can't even compare them. Stanton is just an underacheiver who seems to not care.

Beck rumor mongering

This is the time of year where everything is a lie, but check out the linked-to article from A. Wilson

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?S=118#S...=1666&T=452713

I'm not saying anything about the contents, but this could just big time interest or just the Ravens messing with the Lions who have been quoted all over (or is that a lie too) as to really wanting Beck in the second: http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/6735038

Beck is probably my favorite of the QBs after Quinn and Russel...even if he is 26, he could be on the field at 27 and play for 5-6 years. Obviously not as good as getting the 21 year old prodigy, but you can't always get the best all the time.

Any thoughts?

Re: Beck rumor mongering

I like Beck as well and agree with you on his outlook. But I would NOT spend a two on him. That's reaching and I don't think the Ravens will reach...

That said, good analysis here QB's

There is analysis regarding the Ravens outlook and links to video on QB's the Ravens might consider.

Re: Beck rumor mongering

Beck has come in late this week, the name I was hearing everything with us about before now had been Trent Edwards. Neuheisel loves Edwards, went out to see his workout in person etc.

As per usual I couldn't even guess what direction we're looking in, Ozzie really does keep his cards closer to his chest than anyone, will be interesting looking at how things workout tomorrow, and now all my coursework is done I can really look forward to it :)

Quote Originally Posted by festivus View Post
    The Ravens are reportedly interested in this quarterback from BYU.

According to DF, the Ravens believe he may go as early as Detroit at 35. Could he be ours at 29? The write-up makes him sound like an excellent guy to have in the fold and develop for a year or two behind McNair. Elsewhere I saw him projected as a mid-rounder but the linked description sounds like someone who might ordinarily go in the 2d.

John Beck = QOTF? Maybe. . .
    If we pick him at #29 I'll be pissed.
    M&T Bank Stadium - Section 513
    Proud Season Ticket Holder since 1998