Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

FILMSTUDY: Offensive line model and notes vs. Steelers 12/2/12

Did the Ravens throw the ball deep too often on Sunday?

To answer that we’d need to understand both the circumstances and results. Realizing, of course, that the outcome alone does not justify the gamble, let’s start by reviewing all the balls Flacco threw 20+ yards downfield:

1. (Q1, 14:22) In the face of Polomalu’s blitz, Flacco threw deep between the numbers and left hash for Torrey Smith. Smith turned and came close to hauling in the on-target throw, but Taylor stripped the ball. The Steelers’ CB limped off the field and would not return with a broken bone in his foot.

2. (Q2, 11:19) Smith had a step on Cortez Allen at the goal line between the hashes, but Allen was tracking the football. The ball was underthrown by perhaps 6 yards and Smith had to pull the ball free to avoid an interception. Simms commented that the ball could have been thrown to the outside as well to give Smith a chance to make the catch uncontested.

3. (Q2, 10:38) Allen tugged on Smith’s arm to prevent him from separating at the 10-yard line. A 30-yard PI was assessed when the ball fell incomplete in the end zone. Smith and Flacco have had success with long pass interference penalties because of the combination of Joe’s arm and Smith’s speed. Last year, they combined for the 3 longest PIs drawn in the NFL (50, 50, and 60 yards).

4. (Q2, 4:01) Flacco launched the ball down the left sideline for Boldin who caught it for a gain of 31 (24 in the air + 7 YAC) with Allen again in coverage.

5. (Q2, 3:23) On the very next play, Flacco threw a nearly identical pass from the same formation. Allen was again in coverage 27 yards down the left sideline and began to tackle Boldin just before the ball arrived. Boldin nonetheless hauled it in and fell forward for the TD.

6. (Q3, 8:24) Flacco threw for Jacoby Jones 25 yards down the right sideline. The ball was overthrown by approximately 2 yards, but JJ got a tip that avoided any possibility of an interception by Keenan Lewis.

7. (Q3, 5:08) Flacco threw deep left to the goal line where Smith had plenty of room to haul in the ball behind Allen, but he dropped it. Flacco was visibly upset.

8. (Q4, 15:00) On 3rd and 15, Flacco threw 44 yards down the right sideline for Jones. Lewis had position underneath and leapt to deflect the ball for a PD.

9. (Q4, 6:43) The Ravens zone blocked left as Flacco booted right. Leach missed the block on Worilds, which forced Joe to throw on the run. He launched a 48-yard artillery shell between the hashes. Smith anticipated an underthrow, but the ball went long over him and Lewis.

Flacco was 2 of 8 for 58 yards plus a 30-yard PI with a 1 TD, 0 INT on his deep balls
    With Taylor’s injury, Flacco picked primarily on Cortez Allen. He had trouble finding the football.

The absence of LaMarr Woodley meant Dick Lebeau had to scheme more for pressure, which left more Steelers backpedaling from the line of scrimmage and inviting the long ball.
    Flacco had Ample Time and Space (ATS) on 24 of 37 dropbacks. Consistent ATS is an incentive to try for longer pass plays.

The long throws were generally on target and not dangerously misthrown. Smith had a drop and another on which he might not have been stripped.

The Ravens threw a number of deep balls because the Steelers, due to both injury and defensive scheme, dared them to do so. While the result wasn’t a Ravens’ win, I’d be much more concerned if the team was unwilling to take such risks.

The Ravens had 56 snaps (excluding Flacco’s first-half kneels) and the starting linemen played every snap:

For the individual scoring and other offensive notes click HERE
    Follow me on Twitter @RSRLombardi

Blog Entries

Re: FILMSTUDY: Offensive line model and notes vs. Steelers 12/2/12

Another great jog, Film.

Some folks 'round here aren't going to like this:

The long throws were generally on target and not dangerously misthrown. Smith had a drop and another on which he might not have been stripped.

Quote Originally Posted by bacchys View Post
    Another great jog, Film.

No, Joe is very bad, you stop that

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bacchys View Post
    Another great jog, Film.

that's a backhanded insult if you ask me. not dangerously misthrown? In other words no one could catch them

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

5. Re: FILMSTUDY: Offensive line model and notes vs. Steelers 12/2/12

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    that's a backhanded insult if you ask me. not dangerously misthrown? In other words no one could catch them
    It looked to me as if Joe was told to not make a mistake. I thought that most of his throws were off mark and only where the receiver could make a play on the ball. If a QB is told to not make a mistake, he probably will make a mistake or he will not be effective. This is what I think our coaching staff tells Joe.

Quote Originally Posted by Tspot-D-Ravenator View Post
    It looked to me as if Joe was told to not make a mistake. I thought that most of his throws were off mark and only where the receiver could make a play on the ball. If a QB is told to not make a mistake, he probably will make a mistake or he will not be effective. This is what I think our coaching staff tells Joe.
    They need to tell him to just go out there and sling it

or stop fucking with the head of a 5 year proven QB

Film, this was even better than usual.

Back OT . . . the OL. Very poor performance from Birk and Oher. I suppose we can BLAME CAM, because he is in charge of the O overall and thus is Moeller's boss, but forget the blame. The OL is the foundation and our is cracked. Sure, Joe takes too much time to throw, but the O line sometimes gives too little time for ANYONE to throw. And the O line is partially to blame for too many 2nd and 8s and 9s -- Rice often runs into a wall instead of a hole, because there ARE NO holes. Then Joe is forced to throw,and the D knows it, and the O line can't give him enough time, ad infinitum, ad nauseum.

Assuming we resign Flacco (I'm for it) we need to give him even better suppport than he has now. That means a better O line.

Quote Originally Posted by houstonravensfan View Post
    Film, this was even better than usual.

Back OT . . . the OL. Very poor performance from Birk and Oher. I suppose we can BLAME CAM, because he is in charge of the O overall and thus is Moeller's boss, but forget the blame. The OL is the foundation and our is cracked. Sure, Joe takes too much time to throw, but the O line sometimes gives too little time for ANYONE to throw. And the O line is partially to blame for too many 2nd and 8s and 9s -- Rice often runs into a wall instead of a hole, because there ARE NO holes. Then Joe is forced to throw,and the D knows it, and the O line can't give him enough time, ad infinitum, ad nauseum.

Assuming we resign Flacco (I'm for it) we need to give him even better suppport than he has now. That means a better O line.
    McKinnie - KO - Birk - Yanda - Oher

But regardless of whether or not we need a new O-line, having long developing pass plays is completely ass backwards

Good to see Jah showing improvement.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    I didn't read it that way. It means the passes weren't the wildly misthrown balls that one would think reading some critics of Flacco here.

Some of the overthrows and underthrows aren't either. They're miscommunications between the QB and receiver.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by landspeed View Post
    McKinnie - KO - Birk - Yanda - Oher

But regardless of whether or not we need a new O-line, having long developing pass plays is completely ass backwards
    I think the McKinnie ship has sailed some time ago. He doesn't even try when he comes on the field.

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    I think the McKinnie ship has sailed some time ago. He doesn't even try when he comes on the field.
    Hes 33, he played pretty well last year, in no way deserved to lose his job and even dedicated himself to staying in shape this offseason. Of course hes going to be pissed and see no hope in trying hard. If he can lose his job for.... doing his job.. then why would he want to be on the field for us?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...re-ravens-camp

So how do they respond? Jared Gaither all the fuck over again.

They move an incapable LT over to the LT spot rather than keeping the line how it was.

Literally, the only change we should have had this offseason on the O-line was grubbs replacement.

With that said, I have seen no evidence of him "not trying" when hes on the field. You cant make that evaluation when hes on the field for, at most, 3 snaps/game
    Last edited by landspeed; 12-06-2012 at 10:34 PM.