Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Cliff Avril Could Test Market

It's called developing the players that you have and that will be difficult if you make guys like McPhee and Kruger ride the bench again. The Ravens have most of the pieces. Just develop them. You don't pay top dollar to a guy that you 'think' can transition to a hybrid. What is this, Osi Umenyiora, all over again GOTA? Is this the Revenge of the Osi Umenyiora Idea?
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Avril would be nice. A quality ILB would be nicer. Focus on need.

Blog Entries

I like the idea of avril but we have a history of signing our own guys first and we have plenty. I just dont see the money available or the timing to be right. Im sure avril signs pretty quick and will be sought after. Itll take awhile for our guys to get signed and bring clarity to our cap situation. I just dont see it happening.
    -JAB

I'd be much more interested in Stephen Tulloch

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    It's called developing the players that you have and that will be difficult if you make guys like McPhee and Kruger ride the bench again. The Ravens have most of the pieces. Just develop them. You don't pay top dollar to a guy that you 'think' can transition to a hybrid. What is this, Osi Umenyiora, all over again GOTA? Is this the Revenge of the Osi Umenyiora Idea?
    It's better than the Osi idea because Avril is younger and healthier. The need is still there.

I'm really not sure if Jarrett Johnson is on this team next season. I really don't like the idea of Paul Kruger taking over at that spot. A guy with 11.5 sacks ad 6 forced fumbles would't just be a replacement but an upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    It's better than the Osi idea because Avril is younger and healthier. The need is still there.

I'm really not sure if Jarrett Johnson is on this team next season. I really don't like the idea of Paul Kruger taking over at that spot. A guy with 11.5 sacks ad 6 forced fumbles would't just be a replacement but an upgrade.
    How much is JJ getting paid currently? We will need to go out there to get someone to replace him with b/c there is no way Rex won't throw everything he has to get JJ. Maybe Robert Mathis comes here to try to win another championship. Also, if Trevor Scott from Oakland is retained, we need to throw an offer his way.

Blog Entries

Trevor Scott is definitely a guy on my radar. Very good pass rusher and a utility player who can play linebacker as well.

He's pretty underrated and he'd be a good option for Baltimore.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Honestly, my ideal free agency period would be picking up either Dan Koppen or Jeremy Zuttah at center/guard and then picking up a Kirk Morrison or someone like that.

None of those guys will be super expensive and all are still decently young...I think Koppen may be 29 or 30, but for a center that's not that bad at all. Zuttah is like 25 or 26, Scott is I think 27 or 28, and Morrison might be 29 or so.

I'd rather let Kruger and McPhee continue to develop, and focus on upgrading at linebacker. Ray is in the twilight of his career, JJ is on the wrong side of 30, McClain is a nice complimentary player, but not a star, and even Suggs is now 29. Ellerbe is depth. Avril may be able to play OLB, but again, I'd rather work Kruger in there and find someone who can play the middle and be able to cover a little bit, as that's an obvious weakness for our defense.
    Never get in a fight with a pig; you both get muddy, and the pig likes it...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by esmd View Post
    I'd rather let Kruger and McPhee continue to develop, and focus on upgrading at linebacker. Ray is in the twilight of his career, JJ is on the wrong side of 30, McClain is a nice complimentary player, but not a star, and even Suggs is now 29. Ellerbe is depth. Avril may be able to play OLB, but again, I'd rather work Kruger in there and find someone who can play the middle and be able to cover a little bit, as that's an obvious weakness for our defense.
    The problem you run into is whether or not Kruger and McPhee can be an every down player and still be effective. I think Kruger could replace JJ as a pass rusher because Kruger is a better pass rusher, but I'm not so sure if he can replace JJ's ability to set the edge and stuff the run. Avril isn't a very great run defender either, but he does make a lot of tackles in the backfield and he goes for the ball as well.

I don't think they should fork over the kind of money for Avril. I mean, he could become one of the highest paid DE's/OLB's in the league next off-season.

Blog Entries

Unfortunately the NFL has made it so a team either has to be able to put a huge amount of points on the board or have a dominant pass rush. The Ravens aren't going to do the former but they aren't that far off from the latter.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Unfortunately the NFL has made it so a team either has to be able to put a huge amount of points on the board or have a dominant pass rush. The Ravens aren't going to do the former but they aren't that far off from the latter.
    I agree, I just think for the money Avril would make they could get a guy like Trevor Scott and Williams Hayes/Dave Ball as well as picking up a center/guard player like Koppen or Zuttah. Hell, there would probably be money left over to go after a FA receiver like Eddie Royal.