Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

State of the Terps Hoops Program

Pretty piss poor if you ask me.

Another March, and another year Turgeon can't get his squad to the dance. His recruiting has been lackluster and that's putting it mildly. He was able to get Bino Ranson to stay but those top tier recruits haven't equated into trips to the tournament. Shaq Cleare is a total disappointment and may just have a worse vertical than my 8 month old daughter.

Is it time to move on? If so, who replaces Turg?

I say yes and a serious run needs to be made at Mike Lonergan. He's taken GW from the basement to a winner in just three years. He's a local guy and has strong recruiting ties.

Re: State of the Terps Hoops Program

It's been disappointing but it has only been 3 years and he has a top 10 class next season so I so say they give him 1 last season to make some progress and at least make the big dance. Also, I hear he has like a $10m buyout and we all know there's no way MD can afford that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
    "A pessimist sees the difficult in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty." – Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by JayJay View Post
    It's been disappointing but it has only been 3 years and he has a top 10 class next season so I so say they give him 1 last season to make some progress and at least make the big dance. Also, I hear he has like a $10m buyout and we all know there's no way MD can afford that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
    What? How do they have a top 10 class? They have three guys in the top 100 in recruiting and the highest rated recruit is #30. I'd hardly say that is top 10 material
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Quote Originally Posted by runrayrun27 View Post
    What? How do they have a top 10 class? They have three guys in the top 100 in recruiting and the highest rated recruit is #30. I'd hardly say that is top 10 material
    Many publications including rivals has them at #9. I didn't make it up.

http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.c...sp?CID=1574326
    "A pessimist sees the difficult in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty." – Winston Churchill

Comment retracted. Props for the proof :respect
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

It's been disappointing for sure, but he also hasn't had an upperclassman with any talent in his time with the team. With a top ten class coming in and Dez Wells and Faust and Smotrycz being seniors, I have the feeling he'll have them turned around and back in the tournament.

Keep in mind, Gary had them in the tournament infrequently following the great consecutive run of tournament appearances.

Cleare is definitely a miss, but Gary had his fair share of misses too: Travis Garrison, Mike Jones, Caner-Medley...all those guys underachieved under Gary. Sure, at the time he had built enough capital to earn the benefit of the doubt, but for the last two full classes at Maryland he was far from the coach and a shadow of the recruiter he had been.

The jump to the B1G will be an interesting one, but it's possible that Turgeon's style is better suited to the B1G game. It remains to be seen, but I agree that after another season or two of this it will be time to start looking for alternatives.

For the record, I was in the camp of folks that wanted Sean Miller, but I've been impressed with the guys Turgeon's has brought in. The issue for me is that they don't appear to have any kind of offensive identity and, when they do run plays, the players seem a little tentative. Maybe it's a matter of not brining in players with a high bball IQ, or an inability to raise players bball IQ, but it almost seems like-with the exception of Faust, Wells, and--at times--Allen, no one on the team has a feel for the flow of a game and can't predict what is going to happen based on what they're seeing in front of them.

At some point, as a big man, you've got to know that when the guard comes off the screen and the man guarding you to states to help you need to expect the ball.

They've been frustrating to say the least.

To piggy bank on this, Dion Wiley has battled injuries his senior season but was a five star following his junior year. That would give them two give stars and two three stars which is very solid.

I wouldn't be surprised if Trimble starts at PG next season. They desperately need big men though. I don't know what the deal with Cleare is, but he's a quarter of the player I thought they were getting coming out of HS. Dodd is really raw and we knew that, but I have faith that he'll be a strong defensive player down the line. Between Mitchell, Reed (Fr), and Dodd, I think they have a nice front court rotation to complement their DEEP back court.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by goodandfast View Post
    It's been disappointing for sure, but he also hasn't had an upperclassman with any talent in his time with the team. With a top ten class coming in and Dez Wells and Faust and Smotrycz being seniors, I have the feeling he'll have them turned around and back in the tournament.

Keep in mind, Gary had them in the tournament infrequently following the great consecutive run of tournament appearances.

Cleare is definitely a miss, but Gary had his fair share of misses too: Travis Garrison, Mike Jones, Caner-Medley...all those guys underachieved under Gary. Sure, at the time he had built enough capital to earn the benefit of the doubt, but for the last two full classes at Maryland he was far from the coach and a shadow of the recruiter he had been.

The jump to the B1G will be an interesting one, but it's possible that Turgeon's style is better suited to the B1G game. It remains to be seen, but I agree that after another season or two of this it will be time to start looking for alternatives.

For the record, I was in the camp of folks that wanted Sean Miller, but I've been impressed with the guys Turgeon's has brought in. The issue for me is that they don't appear to have any kind of offensive identity and, when they do run plays, the players seem a little tentative. Maybe it's a matter of not brining in players with a high bball IQ, or an inability to raise players bball IQ, but it almost seems like-with the exception of Faust, Wells, and--at times--Allen, no one on the team has a feel for the flow of a game and can't predict what is going to happen based on what they're seeing in front of them.

At some point, as a big man, you've got to know that when the guard comes off the screen and the man guarding you to states to help you need to expect the ball.

They've been frustrating to say the least.
    Great post. I was growing tired of Gary Williams because his unwillingness to recruit AAU talent. He liked to go after the scrappy hard working overachievers, and while it did net him the Juan Dixons and Lonny Baxters of the world, he would not have got that championship without Chris Wilcox. I thought Turgeon would at least be an upgrade in terms of recruiting, but he's been disappointing to say the least. His teams lack an identity and they don't play smart basketball. That being said, I would give him one more year to prove his worth.

I will tell you who f..ked the Maryland athletic program up is their AD Kevin Anderson. Force Freidgen out, watch James Franklin walk away as the coach in waiting and then hire a mediocre coach with a .500 record like Edsal. Then he turns around and gives Turgeon an 8 year contract @ almost $2 million per year. Who gives the coach of a program like Texas A&M an 8 year contract. You couldn't have gotten him for 5 years. It wasn't like he was trying to lure Tom Izzo away from Michigan State. Now we are stuck with him at least another 2-3 years unless Kevin Plank puts up the money to buy him out. Otherwise Maryland sure can't afford to do it. Why Anderson still has a job is beyond me. He has ruined the two biggest revenue producing sports at College Park.

Quote Originally Posted by ravenmaniac1123 View Post
    I will tell you who f..ked the Maryland athletic program up is their AD Kevin Anderson. Force Freidgen out, watch James Franklin walk away as the coach in waiting and then hire a mediocre coach with a .500 record like Edsal. Then he turns around and gives Turgeon an 8 year contract @ almost $2 million per year. Who gives the coach of a program like Texas A&M an 8 year contract. You couldn't have gotten him for 5 years. It wasn't like he was trying to lure Tom Izzo away from Michigan State. Now we are stuck with him at least another 2-3 years unless Kevin Plank puts up the money to buy him out. Otherwise Maryland sure can't afford to do it. Why Anderson still has a job is beyond me. He has ruined the two biggest revenue producing sports at College Park.
    Someones fired up!
    - Ray Lewis

11. Re: State of the Terps Hoops Program

Quote Originally Posted by goodandfast View Post

I'm crying foul here. First of all, while relative dissapointments, Shaq Cleare couldn't hold either NCM or Mike Jones' (who?) jock strap. And at no point during Gary's tenure did I think his coaching was as poor as Turgs' save for MAYBE the tail end of Jordan William's sophomore year. Certainly not the year before. Gary was great at maximizing his talent, but he WAS a poor recruiter....if mostly by design. Turg has the opposite problem. Which I actually find more frustrating. I honestly believe the '07 squad was the most disappointing team Gary had, it was loaded. D.J. Strawberry, Mike Jones, James Gist, Ekene Ebekwe, Boom, Greivis Vasquez, Eric Hayes, and Landon Milborne. That's 3 NBA draft picks, including a First Rounder, and 4 more Euro-Ballers.....honestly that the last time Maryland REALLY had the horses... STILL think that team beats Florida if they handle Butler in the 4/5. That was upsetting... But other than that all of Gary's late squads OVER achieved based on their roster talent. Remember that year we had Dave Freaking Neal as our starting center? Yea will that team was awful and still better than the sorry lot Turgeon just marched out.

-L.
    Last edited by Terp387; 03-18-2014 at 02:09 AM.

Hard to know what to say about the state of UMD hoops. Gary was a great game coach, but I question if he could get much more from this particular low hoops IQ group. I'm sorry but this team has a fair amount of talent, more than many more successful MD teams I've seen. It just seems like it's the perfect storm of some kind of shit leading to a loss every time they play a decent team. Every player on the team is wildly erratic. They turn the ball over at alarming rates, have no true point guard, stop playing defense at the worst possible moments and their big men jump like their feet are nailed to the floor.

Still, a team with pretty decent players like Wells, Layman, Allen, Faust and Smotrycz should be better than .500. Cleare and Mitchell are statues, but Mitchell is a high effort guy. He's just not that good. The worst part is, at their best, they can beat any team in the country. They proved that against UVA in their last home game. We just don't see it often enough.

Alex Len going to the NBA way before he was ready really set this team back as well. Unprepared college players jumping to the pros is ruining the college game and doing nothing to enhance the NBA product. They should just stop drafting some of these guys. I'm not talking about the can't miss, one and done guys like Parker, Wiggins, Randle, et al. I mean players with potential who still have very unfinished and unrefined games. Jordan Williams is another example. Where's he, Witness Protection?

It almost became comical watching this team lose 1 and 2 point games to good opponents this year. It's like they will themselves to lose close. When they went to the wire with UConn in the pre season tourney I thought they might have a good year. Little did I know that it would be a season full of those types of losses. I don't know how much of this to blame on Turgeon. He seems to know what he's doing. He says all the right things. He had some success at Tex A&M. You can see how frustrated he is with this group too.

I just think they are a mismatched group that is somewhat talented, but incapable of playing well together for any length of time. Agree that Turge needs to get this ballyhooed recruiting class in there with his holdovers and see what happens. If they can't win 20 next year and get back to the dance then it's time to look around at coaches again.

It's also time to get out of the ACC. MD hoops and football hasn't been getting a real fair shake from refs imo ever since they announced the move to the Big Ten. Remember the Duke possession arrow fiasco, not the only hose job, just the most noticeable and egregious. Now, I'm not blaming MD's recent suckitude in football and basketball on officiating, just saying that it's time for a change in many ways. Like I said, Turge I'd give a little more rope. Anderson and Edsal can both go now as far as I'm concerned, that I agree with.