Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Thumbs up Most Underrated Players per Fox Sports

I apologize if this has already been posted, but I just noticed this list when I was scrolling on the most overrated players thread link.

1. Joe Flacco, QB, Ravens- Last year at this time, we were all laughing at Eli Manning for suggesting he was an elite quarterback worthy of the same breath as Tom Brady. This year, Joe Flacco’s catching heat for saying he belongs in that conversation. He does. Fantasy football stats be damned, he’s taken Baltimore to two AFC Championship Games, has won four career playoff games on the road, and was a Lee Evans drop away from beating the Patriots up in Foxborough in last year’s AFC Championship Game. He throws the best deep ball in the NFL and has the respect of his teammates. It’s time we start respecting him, too.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/lists/2...photo=31276674

Blog Entries

Re: Fox Sports Most Underrated- #1 Joe Flacco

Wow.

Fox, huh?
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Yeah this is different than before. Nice that Flacco is #1 on that list, but he's already convinced the league. The fans outside of Baltimore are just in denial at this point. There is that "no way that Flacco can be good because they are a defensive team only" vibe out there.

Blog Entries

I've really started to notice recently that outside of Baltimore, the perception is really starting to change on Flacco. He isn't being debated as just a good QB like in years past, he's now being debated as an elite QB. Then you get morons like Skip, Jamie Dukes, and Heath Evans who think he's average. Get over it guys, you where all saying shit about Eli 2 seasons back, and look at what slapped you in the face. I can easily see the same thing coming with Flacco about a mile away. Funny thing is, most of those doubters will continue as if nothing has happened and even claim that they always knew Flacco was great.

Everyone is jumping on the bandwagon. Might as well do it early I guess lol

Re: Most Underrated Players per Fox Sports

While I generally agree that he's an underrated player ...

"He throws the best deep ball in the NFL"

... anyone who watched the Ravens last year knows that he had some accuracy/timing issues with his deep ball. Just because he has a strong arm or because he might have thrown a higher percentage of deep passes doesn't mean he has the best deep ball.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Cactus View Post

... anyone who watched the Ravens last year knows that he had some accuracy/timing issues with his deep ball. Just because he has a strong arm or because he might have thrown a higher percentage of deep passes doesn't mean he has the best deep ball.
    Anyone that watched last year would also realize there was more to it than that also. One example is Torrey took blame for not finishing routes on two separate occasions. Even down to the system we play which requires more longer throws to begin with, as opposed to others who only hit the wide open guy from time to time. He is one of the better deep ball throwers in the league, imo, even if his percentage isnt.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

Only Eli was better than Flacco last year in yardage and comp % on passes over 41 yards. Flacco was 5/16 235 yards 2tds 0ints
    Eli was 5/13 278 yards 1td 0ints. Aaron Rodgers had less completions yardage and 3 tds.

I'm not saying he's a bad deep ball thrower, but he's clearly not the best (at least not last year IMO). And yea, Torrey may have cost him a few deep completions by slowing up, but I'd still put most of their down field missed connections on Joe.

Blog Entries

I'm not saying he's a bad deep ball thrower, but he's clearly not the best (at least not last year IMO). And yea, Torrey may have cost him a few deep completions by slowing up, but I'd still put most of their down field missed connections on Joe.
    Also keep in mind Torrey drew the most pass interference calls last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    Only Eli was better than Flacco last year in yardage and comp % on passes over 41 yards. Flacco was 5/16 235 yards 2tds 0ints
    Eli was 5/13 278 yards 1td 0ints. Aaron Rodgers had less completions yardage and 3 tds.
    41 yards seems like an odd cutoff...

I did try to look up some numbers for this but to no avail so far. I'm not sure where you can find good "deep ball" statistics. If anyone can provide a link that would be great. But again, from my memory of watching the Ravens last year, I would say he's not the best deep ball thrower, and given the sample sizes likely involved this might be an area where just watching the plays is a better indicator than going off the stats.

The end of the Cards and Steelers away games say hello.