Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    Few things. Sting is right, the polls are still using a model for turnout in some cases that projects a higher Dem turnout than 08.

Also, I went back and looked at the RCP polls for 08, lets just say, most were not correct.

All that said, I'm with you as far as the polls, they're not painting a pretty picture.
    I get that. But as you said "some" polls are weighted with the 2008 Dem turn out numbers.

My issue is with Michael Barone, Dick Morris, et all who think its going to be a Mitt blow out.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    RCP state averages.

I don't know how you can look at those and think they bode well for Mitt.
    because you're missing my point completely. Look at the poll themselves. Look at the samples. Look at the internals.

most every one of those polls has some sort of sample that suggest higher turnout for Obama than 2008.

and if you believe for a second that with crowds of 10,000 to 30,000 coming out for Mitt Romney at his rallies that turnout is going to be higher for Obama that it was in 2008 then the media and polling folks have done their job and lead you to believe he will lose the election.

I have on the other hand have been reading in the same polls, that Rommey is winning by double digits with independents, he leads in categories like who is better for the economy.

So you have to excuse me if a state poll with a D+8 sample and Obama winning by 3 doesn't have me in a panic, when I know the turnout for that state in 2008 was D+4.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Blog Entries

Re: RCP Electoral Map Thread

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    I get that. But as you said "some" polls are weighted with the 2008 Dem turn out numbers.

My issue is with Michael Barone, Dick Morris, et all who think its going to be a Mitt blow out.
    Right, some polls show a higher Dem turnout than 08, some predict the same. To my knowledge Rasmussen and Gallup are the only ones that go buy how people identify themselves, not how the turnout for the last election was.

Morris is/was the only one predicting blowout, he is worried now since Sandy may have given BHO a bounce.

I heard Barone say he thinks Mitt is a slight favorite and might get about 285 electoral votes.

Blog Entries

I stand corrected about Barone, just saw he's saying Mitt at 315

The other thing that most pollsters are forgetting about is this little election in 2010.

Besides, the running joke on Twitter is that places like PPP polling is just there to keep the race close.

can Obama still win? Of course he can. I would lose extreme faith in the country, but he could win. however at this point in time I just don't see it. this is just not 2008. and even people like John King on CNN say the same thing. Like in Ohio, where he said the ground game for Romney is nothing like what it was for McCain, was not even a comparison. And even said that Romney was well positioned to win the state. this is John King, this is Karl Rove.

Last edited by StingerNLG; 11-03-2012 at 11:45 AM.

Early voting in Ohio. And again, this is CNN polling.

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Governm...ion-Day-Voters

So again, what do you believe? That Romney is winning the early vote, but there will be this giant flood of Obama voters on Tuesday that will wipe this out?

This is why you can't trust these polls at this point.

Some of the state polls have trimmed their +Dem sampling into the mid-single digits or even as low as a few points in Ohio, and they still show it close but slightly favoring Obama.

The issue I think is that early voting is really affecting these state polls and the effect is to exaggerate Democrats support.

Each pollster has a likely voter "screen" that is used to determine likely vs registered voters. It usually includes questions about how many times you have recently voted or whether you know where your polling place is, or whether you have recently moved. The answers to these questions are then scored, and if your score is too low, then you are not included as a likely voter, regardless of your true likelihood of actually voting. Simply saying "I am certainly going to vote" does not qualify you as a likely voter.

But...with early voting, the pollster often gets the response "I have already voted." In these cases, the pollster is simply adding these people to the likely voter group automatically. Even if you ignore the chance the person is lying (and people do lie about already having voted and their likelihood of voting because to most people voting equates to being a good citizen), you still are getting poll results whereby early voters are being "oversampled" by the fact none of them are being screened out of the sample like they would/might have been the day before they voted (by failing the screening questions).

This leads to the result that the party that has more people who have voted early gets more people through the likely voter screen. More people through the likely voter screen means a larger portion of the sample (of likely voters).

All that said, the race is going to be close, Ohio is going to decide it, imo, and Romney, because the auto-bailout issue (which has been mishandled by his campaign), is currently a very slight underdog, imo, though not by so much as to be insurmountable with a good weekend push.

Blog Entries

If the path to the WH goes thru OHio, 30,000 turned out to hear Mitt speak. So much for the bailout which is overblown.

Remember those huge crowds Galen always showed us 4 years ago while smiling. They're gone now. Mitt's getting them even in OHio.

Romney is ahead in FLA by +6 (51-45%). If he gets FLA and PA he doesn't need OHio but with the early voting favoring Mitt as we've been saying for 2 days, looks like Mitt gets those 300 elect votes.

Rubio was on TV Thurs night and said we know OBY will get 48% but we'll win if we get
    the turnout. Looks like the conservatives are mobilizing for the turnout and Cuban
    Americans in FLA are buying that Ad linking Oby with Chavez and Castro.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/politic...cle1259531.ece

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2...nclick_check=1
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 11-03-2012 at 12:23 PM.

Blog Entries

Another reason why it will be over early. Mitt won't even need OH with this and FLA.

President Barack Obama simply isn’t working for culturally conservative Democrats in Western Pennsylvania and the proverbial “T” — which is Pennsylvania-speak for the entire state except the city of Philadelphia and the four counties (Bucks, Chester, Delaware and Montgomery) abutting the city.

Half of the NRA membership in the entire country is within a four-hour drive of Pittsburgh. These voters do, in fact, cling to their guns and religion.

I posted 3 days ago OBY hasn't even appeared in PA yet. He took it for granted - his biggest
    blunder of the campaign. Now this guy says he hasn't been hitting on the conservative DEMs in West PA - you know - that hated Pissburgh Squeelers territory.

Come Wed, we'll owe those Squeeler fans some beer.

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2012/11/02/ro...#ixzz2BB51Puxv

http://dailycaller.com/2012/11/02/ro...-pennsylvania/
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 11-03-2012 at 12:36 PM.

The odds of Pennsylvania going for Mitt are not very good, imo. Anything is possible, but I think the effort put towards that state was too little too late. It has been relaibly Democrat for 20+ years, and while this year it will be closer than usual, I don't see how Romney can get over the hump based on the polling, unless Obama's ground game is asleep at the switch in Philly (which I suppose is possible).

Blog Entries

YAHOOOOOO!!!!

Romney up by 4% in PA. This was posted yesterday on FREEPERS.

Those PHilly Inquirer polls (mainstream DEM media) are not with registered or likely voters and they poll heavily DEMs like the phony Times poll. Susquehanna which did this poll is
    the most accurate pollster in PA.

This poll surveys registered or likely voters and even the GOP challenger for Senate
    is leading the incumbent. It all adds up.

In the same sample Republican Tom Smith leads Senator Casey by two percentage points in the race for the United States Senate seat from Pennsylvania. Smith is at 48% to Casey’s 46% according to this poll.

Looks like the coal miners in West PA are finally turning vs OBY for his war on coal.
    Talk about jobs and bailouts. This is killing him.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2954131/posts
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 11-03-2012 at 12:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Haloti92 View Post
    The odds of Pennsylvania going for Mitt are not very good, imo. Anything is possible, but I think the effort put towards that state was too little too late. It has been relaibly Democrat for 20+ years, and while this year it will be closer than usual, I don't see how Romney can get over the hump based on the polling, unless Obama's ground game is asleep at the switch in Philly (which I suppose is possible).
    I can't say that Romney is going to win Pennsylvania, however once again we are forgetting what happened in 2010. Republicans knocked out almost every Democrat in state and local elections there.

so if Republicans can mobilize that kind of turnout again on Tuesday, it is possible that they could nab it.

given Romney's campaign strategy, I don't think he would be there on Sunday if he didn't think he had a shot at it.