Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: If Rex Ryan leaves.....

I don't think it has been mentioned, but I could possibly see Rex wanting his brother to be his DC.

Quote Originally Posted by btarr8 View Post
    I don't think it has been mentioned, but I could possibly see Rex wanting his brother to be his DC.
    I could actually see that....more likely than us bringing him here to be our DC.

UW:ww:

It's funny - everyone sees Rex as their HC because of the defense - the Jets forum for example. This was the problem with Marvin Lewis, he doesn't run the defense - his DC does!

The HC has to have a whole different set of skills - managing OC and DC, instill team culture and spirit, media, working with the pro and college personnel people, etc. etc. This is why Team culture etc. is such a concern to hiring teams and a negative for Rex - "players coach", too soft, team will run over him like the Ravens D last year (see Bart Scott tossing ref flag, T Sizzle every other week, CMac, etc. etc.)

Don't you think Marvin would have a much better defense in Cincy if that was his job?

That's why Rex has not, and might not, get a HC job. He's not being hired to be a DC with HC pay.

Rex Ryan update...it looks like he's as good as gone to the Jets :

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/rumors/p...urn=nfl,134277
    M&T Bank Stadium - Section 513
    Proud Season Ticket Holder since 1998

You need a strong personality, and a man that commands respect. I was thinking Mattison, or Pagano.

Quote Originally Posted by UKRavenStockers View Post
    Currently the secondary coach for the Jags after he got fired as the Lions' DC a couple of years ago.
    lack of success in Detroit doesn't mean much as messed up as that franchise is.
    I heard Rob Ryan was going to Cleveland to be DC but not official yet.
    Last edited by sailorsam; 01-14-2009 at 01:48 PM.
    "Nothing stops these Baltimore Ravens. Beat them, injure them, shove them to the bottom of the standings, drag them into a hostile environment and mount a big lead, and they just keep trudging forward like nothing fazes them." (Bleacher Report)

Vic Fangio, or Mattison.
    ... They shall mount up with wings as Eagles;

I want Mike Pettine...

If Rex is the #1 mastermind behind this Organized Chaos Defensive Scheme, Mike is #1a. He is Rex's right hand man. If Rex's goes, he will become Rex's DC if the Ravens don't block the move. Obviously to block the move, he becomes our DC by default.

FYI..it looks like Nolan is going to Denver to be DC. I'd be happy with Mattison or Pettine too.
    M&T Bank Stadium - Section 513
    Proud Season Ticket Holder since 1998

Blog Entries

Forget Fangio, as was stated in an article about this, players view him as too uptight to really be an effective DC for our group. Pettine is likely going WITH Rex Ryan to be his DC, unless Harbaugh can sell him on staying as a DC here. Most likely moves would be Brooks, Pagano, or Mattison. Not sure if there's anyone worth considering who is currently unemployed...
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Quote Originally Posted by Bez513 View Post
    Rex Ryan update...it looks like he's as good as gone to the Jets :

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/rumors/p...urn=nfl,134277
    FWIW I heard a very well respected national writer(THINK it was Jason Cole) on the radio say that he is hearing that Schottenheimer is the leader so far,but pretty much everyone else says its Ryan.

Blog Entries

it looks pretty obvious it will be Ryan...Spagnuolo is getting a 2nd interview, but it's pretty telling that Ryan is the only candidate still in the playoffs and there has not been a hire yet, nor was there much activity this week. Rex will either be hired next Tuesday or the week after the SB, depending on if we win this week or not.

I worry about his replacement, but I have full confidence in our staff to get the right guy in. I just hope whoever it is meshes and gels well with the players here. While we can't let them run the asylum, we also don't want a coach that alienates Ray, Ed Reed, etc.