View Poll Results: Who will you blame if the offense still struggles?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Jim Caldwell

1 3.03%
  • Joe Flacco

17 51.52%
  • John Harbaugh

1 3.03%
  • Ozzie Newsome

10 30.30%
  • The O-Line

4 12.12%
Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 1011121314 ... LastLast

Re: What If It Wasn't Cam?

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    Why wouldn't it?

Jacoby and Leach clear $6 million. I'd let go of both, no questions asked.

If not, there is always the prospect of extending Jones and even Boldin for a year or 2 to lower at a small cost to lower their cap numbers.
    Sorry, didn't realize that you meant Jacoby and Leach in tandem - yes, that would have done it.

I'm not sure that they didn't try to extend Boldin and that that wasn't part of their offer. There's really never been confirmation of either, simply that they offered in a "paycut". That doesn't just necessarily mean for one year and there was a reporter in the know in FLA who said $4M "per year" in one of his tweets. Who knows?

IMO, just dropping his salary by $2M for 2013 never really made a lot of sense, because a reasonable extension could have been worked out that would have dropped it farther, while still being patable for the future.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

Quote Originally Posted by HotInHere View Post
    Seems like a lot of people who wanted to keep Anquan were willing to do it at the expense of Jacoby, with their argument being what a monster Anquan was in the post-season. But Jacoby made three ENORMOUS plays in the post-season. If he doesn't make any one of those three, we most likely do not hoist the Lombardi. He was 1a with Joe Flacco for Super Bowl MVP.

So my serious question to people who feel that way is: why the difference?
    Boldin made way more than 3 enormous plays in the playoffs. And Boldin's plays required a much higher degree of skill and difficulty.

Put it this way, I'd feel much way, way more comfortable with Deonte Thompson being able to run past what honestly were blown coverages and being able to run a kickoff back than Tandon Doss or any of the other WR's making the route adjustments and contested catches over the middle (not to mention the huge 3rd and 1 play) that Boldin made.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by B-more Ravor View Post
    Sorry, didn't realize that you meant Jacoby and Leach in tandem - yes, that would have done it.

I'm not sure that they didn't try to extend Boldin and that that wasn't part of their offer. There's really never been confirmation of either, simply that they offered in a "paycut". That doesn't just necessarily mean for one year and there was a reporter in the know in FLA who said $4M "per year" in one of his tweets. Who knows?

IMO, just dropping his salary by $2M for 2013 never really made a lot of sense, because a reasonable extension could have been worked out that would have dropped it farther, while still being patable for the future.
    FWIW, Boldin said an extension was never offered to him.

Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

I wonder about anything he said/says about this. The reason being, one thing he said while it was going on was that he signed a contract and that's what he attends to play out (and how he'd retire etc. but that's something separate) and he would not go back to the team while still under that contract and ask for more money.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is that exactly why he wanted out of Arizona?

HD
    OK, I guess I missed that.

An extension would have made more sense to me than a straight $2M paycut, but I guess for some reason, they didn't want to extent him or Jacoby.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

Quote Originally Posted by RavensRule21215 View Post
    It's been shown time and time again (hell...even Ray Rice himself stated it clearly)...the Ravens sign who they want to sign, and don't sign who they don't want to sign (within reason). They didn't want to sign Boldin (at least not for $6M), and they didn't want to replace him with a proven NFL caliber WR. That's the bottom line, and we'll see how it all plays out. I certainly hope that things work out, and in no way am I looking forward to some big "I TOLD YOU SO" if it doesn't. (What seems to be missing here is the fact that the Ravens DID express interest in signing Boldin for $4M. So the debate is NOT over $6M and where would that money have come from, as some would insist, but over the $2M difference.)
    I feel nobody is better at putting personal feelings aside then Ozzie is. The Ravens established that Boldin's value was at $4mil and Ozzie wasn't going to budge from that figure. It was the right call to let him go. The Steelers got themselves into trouble by restructuring contracts to hold onto veterans longer than they should have. The Ravens will not make that mistake. I'm glad they have the front office they do to make those tough calls.

An extension would have made more sense to me than a straight $2M paycut, but I guess for some reason, they didn't want to extent him or Jacoby.
    I think they anticipate a Derrick Mason-like falloff in production very soon for Boldin. Sure, it's nice to pay less for him at ages 33, 34, and 35 than they would have otherwise through an extension but if he can't play, there's no point in paying him anything.

His style of play is very conducive to that kind of falloff; he can't really create separation through route running anymore so one day his vertical leap and eye-hand coordination is going to drop slightly due to age/wear and tear, and then its all over for him.

The Ravens have always maintained it's better to get rid of a player a year too early than a year too late. I don't think it ever crossed their mind to extend Boldin.

Blog Entries

I think the front office felt that they could get sufficient production from the slot, for a more reasonable price, if they replaced Boldin with a younger player who could do a better job of getting separation. Nobody is going to make a catch in traffic better than Boldin, but far too many of his catches HAD to be made in traffic, because he couldn't separate.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

1. Yes, a post-June 1 release would save more than the $1.4M (which was the $1.8M from McClain, less whatever it would have cost to replace him - at least, $405K), but at the time of the Boldin decision, the post-June 1 release wouldn't have helped, only the above amounts would have mattered.

2. Keeping Boldin at the $6M most certainly would have IMO either prevented them from signing someone or caused them to release someone or caused them to need to restructure a contract.
    1. Gotcha. For some reason I thought only the extra proration was in play until June-1st, not the whole transaction.

2. I still think it could have been done. Dumervil's cap number is only $2.5M ($2M above replacement). Canty was signed before Boldin's physical (while his full salary was still being applied). Huff is an extra 850k above replacement. So we are talking about finding $3M at the time, at least $1M of which we had. Releasing McClain and Leach, no Spears, no Reed gets us there, as far as I can see, or no? Or am I making a mistake due to the timing of Boldin's physical (the week where we had traded Boldin but could not use his cap space)?

And, btw, what is our current cap situation, including Leach? Approximately, if we do not know the details of the Leach deal.

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    I think the front office felt that they could get sufficient production from the slot, for a more reasonable price, if they replaced Boldin with a younger player who could do a better job of getting separation. Nobody is going to make a catch in traffic better than Boldin, but far too many of his catches HAD to be made in traffic, because he couldn't separate.
    That's been my call since the end of the season, despite the heavy Boldin sentiment. However, I did expect the Ravens to make a serious effort to bring in a proven player, and not rely on David Reed or Tandon Doss.

Quote Originally Posted by RavensRule21215 View Post
    It's been shown time and time again (hell...even Ray Rice himself stated it clearly)...the Ravens sign who they want to sign, and don't sign who they don't want to sign (within reason). They didn't want to sign Boldin (at least not for $6M), and they didn't want to replace him with a proven NFL caliber WR.
    We don't know what goes on behind closed doors, but the way it looks from the outside is that they put a number on what each player is worth, and then let the market decide. It's not necessarily "we want this player, we don't want that player."

Does anyone doubt that they would have kept Anquan for the league minimum? Meanwhile it's also clear they didn't want him at his $7MM price tag. So there is a number somewhere in between those two where their cutoff was.

In some cases (like Kruger,) everybody and their mother knows that the number the player is going to command on the open market is going to be higher than what the Ravens will offer them, so it seems as though they have no desire to keep that player.

In other cases, it's a lot closer. Their number for Leach was $2MM. If Miami had offered 3, Vonta would be in teal, and it would have nothing to do with whether the Ravens wanted him or not. It's just about how much they are willing to pay to have him.

They approach the draft the same way -- they stay true to their board. Only in the draft they are working with a limited resource pool of draft picks instead of dollars. But the philosophy is the same: right player, right price.
    "Chin up, chest out."