Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Re: Bengals Punter's Jaw Broken by Steelers Blind Side Hit

The guy lowers his body, turns his head to the side to avoid helmet to helmet, and blocks a football player. It sucks that he got hurt, but the guy has a helmet, thigh, and shoulder pads on for Christ sake....

Fans I can believe. I thought you meant players. Sorry for my confusion CincyCat.

Quote Originally Posted by CincyCat View Post
    I wasn't talking about fans, the Steelers players were telling the Bengals players "Ha, we got your punter" according to Dave Lapham (former Super Bowl guard for the Bengals in the 80's). Lapham is also the color announcer and the players love him and tell him what goes on on the field. Lapham was talking about it on the radio today.

This is the second time a Steelers player has broken a Bengals player's jaw (Hines Ward/Keith Rivers), not to mention shredding Carson Palmer's knee.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Complex View Post
    Fans I can believe. I thought you meant players. Sorry for my confusion CincyCat.
    I did mean players.
    Let Joe Cool lead the way 😎

Sorry for the err...confusion over the confusion. Thanks for setting me straight.

Anyway, that is not evidence enough for me. He said, she said. I don't believe any team would do that. Specific quotes from specific players is needed here. Again, I am not saying it is impossible, I am just saying that is highly doubtful. The players are not like many fans; most of the players are genuinely concerned about each others' well being despite spirited competition on the field.

I did mean players.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Complex View Post
    Sorry for the err...confusion over the confusion. Thanks for setting me straight.

Anyway, that is not evidence enough for me. He said, she said. I don't believe any team would do that. Specific quotes from specific players is needed here. Again, I am not saying it is impossible, I am just saying that is highly doubtful. The players are not like many fans; most of the players are genuinely concerned about each others' well being despite spirited competition on the field.
    You seem like a good guy so I will let it rest. Just really hate that this happened when it didn't have to. If you've followed any of my posts I constantly wish for a good game with little to no injuries. It will eventually kill the sport if it keeps going on with concussions, etc.
    Let Joe Cool lead the way 😎

You seem like a good guy so I will let it rest. Just really hate that this happened when it didn't have to. If you've followed any of my posts I constantly wish for a good game with little to no injuries. It will eventually kill the sport if it keeps going on with concussions, etc.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HKusp View Post
    The guy lowers his body, turns his head to the side to avoid helmet to helmet, and blocks a football player. It sucks that he got hurt, but the guy has a helmet, thigh, and shoulder pads on for Christ sake....
    Agreed; not the defenders fault that the punter took his eyes off the coming action

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Huber also sustained a cracked vertebrae. He is one helluva good person and teammate. It bothers me that this happened because it didn't have to.

Just ask yourself how you would feel about Flacco getting hit under the same circumstances. Even it was legal it could have killed the guy.

Players also reported Steelers boasting about it during the game.
    Now that is a shame. A cracked vertebra and a broken jaw.
    While the punter, Huber, should not have left himself open like that, there is still no excuse for that kind of violent, helmet to helmet hit. I think there was indeed intent to injure, although there is no way to prove that.

I recall the Tatum hit on Stingley which left the man paralyzed for life. The replay of that seems to show it was a helmet to helmet and forearm to head hit, both at the same time.
    That was "legal" at the time but it should not have been.

Now someone said it was silly that I thought Tomlin encouraged this type of illegal and borderline illegal play, while Harbaugh does the opposite. How so?
    The Steelers seem to always be near the top of the league in fines. In the SI "dirtiest playet" polls of prior years of other NFL players, the Steelers players often appeared near the top of the list.

I think the head coach definitely has an affect on this type of behavior. IF the head coach encourages this type of play, with the intent of injuring and intimidating the opponent, then we wouldn't know this first hand, but we would see it on the field. And that is what has happened with the Steelers, esp since Tomlin took over.

I've heard about the Bengals players, reporting the Steelers taunted them about taking their punter out. Again I think this type of behavior comes from the coach,either by his encouraging it or turning a blind eye to it.
    Last edited by Maverick Hiker; 12-16-2013 at 09:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    Come on now. You could just have easily blocked him with proper technique and got the same results. Maybe it's just me, but I thought it was a cheap shot.
    No. I'd have broken him in half then violated the corpse in front of his family.*

You get a chance to lay someone out, you take it. Hard hits set the tone for your team and football is a game of mental and physical domination. I keep hearing that kickers are football players too, so they should act like it.

(*This is obviously hyperbole. I never tried to injure another player but I did lay out vicious hits aplenty. Before and after the game I was very polite and friendly with the other team. During the game, they were my enemies.)

EDIT: The fractured vertebrae is thought to have been a previous injury, not related to the hit Sunday.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

Several Bengal players got mugged apparently.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/stor...ngals-steelers

Looks like they are flat out throwing players around.

That's football. I don't know what some of you think this game is supposed to be. This isn't pro wrestling, and the hits are supposed to be real, and if you do it right, the guy you just hit, doesn't want to be hit anymore. I'm not sure when this supposedly changed, but that is what the game was/is about.

The Greater Metropolitan Granite Falls, NC Area

Hey! Pro wrestling IS real...isn't it???