Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: The Good, Bad & Ugly: Ravens @ Bucs

Lee was brought in, because they felt Torrey wasn't ready. Lee got hurt and they were forced to play Torrey and work through the bumps. Look at what they have in Torrey now.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    No, but we shouldn't bring in another vet CB.
    Of course because WR is the only position on the team where we apparently should just throw mid-round/undrafted guys in games in key roles without proving themselves in practice or games.

Lee was brought in, because they felt Torrey wasn't ready. Lee got hurt and they were forced to play Torrey and work through the bumps. Look at what they have in Torrey now.
    You are going to hang onto that single trade. Torrey was a 2nd round pick, and a rookie who showed he belonged 2 games into his career. These other guys sans Mellete, and Brown are vets who have been in numerous training camps and games. I'll give Thompson a bit of a break since it's only his second year, but the other guys are not comparable to Torrey.

Last year you were all about playing David Reed.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    Other than Mellete and Brown, we are past their first preseason.

This is Doss's 3rd year. Reed's 4th. Quans 3rd. Other than Thompson, these guys have been here for years.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Scary. OK, they have been behind vets. But they have had LOTS of quality NFL coaching and even more practice. And AFTER all that? They cannot play consistently. In Oz I trust.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    Of course because WR is the only position on the team where we apparently should just throw mid-round/undrafted guys in games in key roles without proving themselves in practice or games.

You are going to hang onto that single trade. Torrey was a 2nd round pick, and a rookie who showed he belonged 2 games into his career. These other guys sans Mellete, and Brown are vets who have been in numerous training camps and games. I'll give Thompson a bit of a break since it's only his second year, but the other guys are not comparable to Torrey.

Last year you were all about playing David Reed.
    Torrey showed that he belonged, when he got the chance as a starter. None of those other guys have been given that chance. They've been forced to get their measly looks when they get them, because Vets were starting.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Torrey showed that he belonged, when he got the chance as a starter. None of those other guys have been given that chance. They've been forced to get their measly looks when they get them, because Vets were starting.
    For the second time, the vets were better.

And Torrey was drafted in the second round...he would have been starting year 2 no matter what.

These guys are past year 2 and even 3 in some instances

The idea that we need to start players to see if they can play is comical. With that line of thinking, every single player on our roster should be allowed to start multiple games as thats the only way to see if they can play.

We shouldnt have signed Corey Graham or extended Webbie since we need to start Asa Jackson and Marc Anthony to see if they can play.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by Raveninwoodlawn; 08-09-2013 at 10:44 PM.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

I'm watching the replay now, first time seeing the game. The out-of-bounds challenge looked like J. Smith just didn't not turn to the ball, but actually flinched/ducked when the ball was over his head. I'm really rooting for him, but need to see some consistency at some point.

I know, pre-season, one game, but first team looked good both sides of the ball, less the drops. I think Ozzie might be serving some crow to the national media "experts" with his off season moves.
    Last edited by DonNMass; 08-10-2013 at 10:39 AM.

Blog Entries

We better get some help at WR because if we counting on guys that has been in the league for 3-4yrs and still hasn't got it yet? All of a sudden the light bulb is gonn go off? I was really hoping we would be fine then the Pitta injury kinda changed my tune. This group of Doss and Reed is what it is, now Thompson who had more promise than these two is out with an injury, Dickson who was turnt up is out with an injury, jacoby is a not a solid number 2 reciever...i'm hoping Mellette or Brown can be some Colston type players or else we are in trouble if we ride with this group.

Watching the replay now ....

Our WR situation is nowhere near as bad as people are making it out to be. JJ was underwhelming but outside of that, I didn't see anything that warrants the chicken little reaction by some. Yes, they need work. But a vet signing or a trade? I don't see it.

Tyrod is also nowhere near as bad as some make him out to be either. There were two drops that should have been completions for him. Solid game from him and reassuring to me that he's our backup.

Canty is a beast. First three plays and he is right there in the mix. All this talk about Doom but I think Canty is going to a bigger star this season.

LaQuan is my new favorite underdog. He hustles, makes plays and is hella fast. If he's not running with the 1's, then there's something else wrong that we don't know about.

Blog Entries

Don't know why Williams isn't running with the 1's when no one else is doing anything.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Watching the replay now ....

Our WR situation is nowhere near as bad as people are making it out to be. JJ was underwhelming but outside of that, I didn't see anything that warrants the chicken little reaction by some. Yes, they need work. But a vet signing or a trade? I don't see it.

Tyrod is also nowhere near as bad as some make him out to be either. There were two drops that should have been completions for him. Solid game from him and reassuring to me that he's our backup.

Canty is a beast. First three plays and he is right there in the mix. All this talk about Doom but I think Canty is going to a bigger star this season.

LaQuan is my new favorite underdog. He hustles, makes plays and is hella fast. If he's not running with the 1's, then there's something else wrong that we don't know about.
    100% agree on all points esp. LaQuan.

Wow. Four drops now, two by Shaincoe alone.

Yeah, Tyrod is getting let down by his targets.

My favorite thing that I saw from the game was how much better our first string defensive line looked. I expected it with the solid offseason signings, but it's great to see it all come together. That's the thing that I'm looking forward to the most this year: watching our d-line grow and gel as a group.

Tyrod was definitely impressive. If he continues this throughout the preseason, I'll feel much better if Flacco gets hurt for a game or two.

The WR2 spot is still a concern for me, but it's still early and it will work itself out.