Page 225 of 333 FirstFirst ... 223224225226227 ... LastLast
Results 2,689 to 2,700 of 3987

Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    I would be absolutely ecstatic to get him if Reed is not re-signed. I've been on his bandwagon all year, he doesn't get much recognition at all, and I don't get it. He isn't really a ball hawk, but he's one of the best pure cover free safeties in the league. Another example of a corner switching to play FS.
    Quote Originally Posted by bt12483 View Post
    I've heard he is their #1 priority. Doubtful he walks.
    This is why nobody is talking about him, at least not as a possibility for the Ravens. He's a pretty good player, but the Ravens probably aren't going to be in a position to sign him, and even if they were why not just re-sign Ed Reed? It's unlikely he'd be more expensive than a guy like Quinn. I don't see them having a ton of money to commit to the position no matter who it is (which is why Reed might not be back.)

The Ravens FS of the future is going to be a guy that they draft, just like almost every other position on the roster. The question is just if that will be in 2013 or if it will take a year or two of development. If they're going to go the street FA route I think it'd be better to take a chance on Louis Delmas or Kenny Phillips, those guys are both very talented but injury prone, sign them to 1 or 2 year "prove it" deals while you groom a mid round pick as the FS of the future.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    This is why nobody is talking about him, at least not as a possibility for the Ravens. He's a pretty good player, but the Ravens probably aren't going to be in a position to sign him, and even if they were why not just re-sign Ed Reed? It's unlikely he'd be more expensive than a guy like Quinn. I don't see them having a ton of money to commit to the position no matter who it is (which is why Reed might not be back.)

The Ravens FS of the future is going to be a guy that they draft, just like almost every other position on the roster. The question is just if that will be in 2013 or if it will take a year or two of development. If they're going to go the street FA route I think it'd be better to take a chance on Louis Delmas or Kenny Phillips, those guys are both very talented but injury prone, sign them to 1 or 2 year "prove it" deals while you groom a mid round pick as the FS of the future.
    Don't we already have one of those "mid round" prospects on the roster in Christian Thompson?

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Don't we already have one of those "mid round" prospects on the roster in Christian Thompson?
    ya but he played at such a small school that even none of us "draftnicks" know anythign about him. It's hard for the public to place trust in him until he shows us why he should on the field. Our coaches however are in a different situation.

Is there any local Charm city Boys in the draft this year? I know the Allen kid. But anyone else, or maybe a small school in Md? Towson, coppin, any??

Quote Originally Posted by bmore finest View Post
    Is there any local Charm city Boys in the draft this year? I know the Allen kid. But anyone else, or maybe a small school in Md? Towson, coppin, any??
    Tavon Austin from West Virginia is from the area... as in grew up and went to High School in Bmore or Bmore County

Potnetial first round Slot WR/Returner... Percy Harvin type.

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    I don't see us passing up on Elam.
    It depends who else is there. I can see the Ravens choosing to go with a guy like Dion Jordan (if he drops that far for some reason, but I doubt he lasts into the 20s), or an impact/versatile guy like Datone Jones (if they rate him that high). The Ravens could still pick up an impact safety in the second or third round - it's not as if Elam is the only one out there.

Although I didn't mock it out this way a couple of days ago, and not necessarily big on it, it could go like this for the Ravens:

1. Kevin Minter (LB, LSU)
    2. Brandon Williams (DT, Missouri Southern)
    3. DJ Swearinger (S, South Carolina)

I think that might be a bit of a reach for Williams, and I'm not at all convinced that Minter is the man. I would prefer Swearinger as a 4th round pick, but I'm not sure he lasts that long. A lot will happen in the next two weeks that will change a lot of things.

And, if the Ravens think that a guy like Tavon Austin is a once in a blue moon impact player on offense, they might go that way if he's available. You don't pass up on that kind of talent if you think it will help you for the next several years, even if there are other needs. So, I can see a lot of scenarios where the Ravens pass on Matt Elam.

Quote Originally Posted by bmore finest View Post
    Tavon Austin (WR, West Virginia) went to Dunbar HS in Baltimore City
    Kenny Tate (LB, Maryland) went to DeMatha HS in Hyattsville

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    ya but he played at such a small school that even none of us "draftnicks" know anythign about him. It's hard for the public to place trust in him until he shows us why he should on the field. Our coaches however are in a different situation.
    If Thompson has a future as anything other than a special teamer / backup, then that future would be as another a Pollard-type. Looking at last year's draft stuff, I found that basically he's described as an especially hard hitter, with good speed and agility, and good ability to cover Tight Ends.

Sort of this hybrid "strong safety / small linebacker" type player some folks are talking about as a response to New England and the two TE offense. Maybe a guy whose future depends on how other teams evolve on offense, or a future SS when Pollard moves on.

My guess though is they're thinking he can do what Ihedigbo did this year --backup both Safety positions and play special teams. All in all, if he could do a good job in that role in 2013, that would be a decent return for where they drafted him. If he grows into anything more than that down the line... bonus.

Sample scouting blurbs: "He is an aggressive, hard-hitting player who looks for the big hit and embraces the violence of the game. " " Physical striker with an aggressive, downhill mentality. Enjoys contact and looks for the knock-out punch. Looks the separate ball from player at the point of attack. Competitive player with strong leadership and football character"

Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post
    Tavon Austin (WR, West Virginia) went to Dunbar HS in Baltimore City
    Kenny Tate (LB, Maryland) went to DeMatha HS in Hyattsville
    Serge Kona, the hard hitting S from Duquesne (video a few pages back) is from over in Montgomery County somewhere IIRC. Most likely a UDFA.

Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post
    Serge Kona, the hard hitting S from Duquesne (video a few pages back) is from over in Montgomery County somewhere IIRC. Most likely a UDFA.
    Gaithersburg High School (I'm not that smart - I looked it up)

iggyman555 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by iggyman555 View Post
    IMO best overall WR in the class, at least in the technical elements of the position. Other guys are bigger, other guys are faster, but nobody has the overall game Hopkins does. He's one of my favorite players in the class and I think he will be a Reggie Wayne type of player in the NFL. Would take him at #32 in a heartbeat