Page 247 of 333 FirstFirst ... 245246247248249 ... LastLast
Results 2,953 to 2,964 of 3987

Re: Draft / FA / Offseason Roster Moves (Merged)

Quote Originally Posted by s.r.genovese View Post
    The real decision the Chiefs need to make is whether or not Smith will develop into an NFL Caliber QB, regardless of where he is picked. If the answer is yes (and it is), it is clear he is the best QB in the draft and he is their number 1 need. Draft him.
    I'm not convinced he is, and I'm not convinced he is that much better than a QB who can be gotten at the top of round 2, and he probably isn't the only QB who will develop into a NFL caliber QB.

Besides, you shouldn't draft a guy simply because he is the best player available in the area of greatest need. What if the Ravens determined their greatest need was a linebacker, but the best linebacker available when they picked had a 4th round grade? Would you really want them to pick the best one because that is their greatest need - even though they have other needs that can be addressed with that first round pick?

Kansas City has needs beyond just a quarterback. Seriously, a 2-14 team is not just one QB away from a Lombardi, and at this point Geno Smith is not what one would consider a franchise quarterback, like Andrew Luck or RG3 were last season.

Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post
    I'm not convinced he is, and I'm not convinced he is that much better than a QB who can be gotten at the top of round 2, and he probably isn't the only QB who will develop into a NFL caliber QB.

Besides, you shouldn't draft a guy simply because he is the best player available in the area of greatest need. What if the Ravens determined their greatest need was a linebacker, but the best linebacker available when they picked had a 4th round grade? Would you really want them to pick the best one because that is their greatest need - even though they have other needs that can be addressed with that first round pick?

Kansas City has needs beyond just a quarterback. Seriously, a 2-14 team is not just one QB away from a Lombardi, and at this point Geno Smith is not what one would consider a franchise quarterback, like Andrew Luck or RG3 were last season.
    I like Smith more than you do. I think he's going to be a very good QB. He's a guy with a really good all-around game. Good instincts, good arm, good head. He's not amazing in any one area but his well-roundedness is really his greatest skill. He can do everything very solidly. I think it's a weak QB class but he's still head and shoulders above the next best QB.

Quote Originally Posted by s.r.genovese View Post
    Flacco in most GM's eyes wasn't worthy of a 1st round pick. Worked out fine for the Ravens. If the guy can play and he is a good pick then he is worth it, especially at the QB position. Geno Smith is a good player. He'll be a good QB. If he turns into a solid player, no one is going to care that he probably should have been taken in the top 15 rather than top 1. If he ends up sucking people will be pissed no matter where he is picked.

There are plenty of years when the best players on the board aren't taken number one. In fact that happens quite often. Suh was a much better prospect than Bradford.
    I agree and that's my entire view.

It's up to the Chiefs and Andy Reid alone to decide if one of these QB's are good bets to be good starters in this league.

If they have a strong conviction for one or more of them, they need to do what they can to make sure they get him.

If they don't, then yes, just taking whoever is there in round 2 or 3 would make more sense.

But they don't need to answer to the media or fans who aren't involved with decision making...Reid has had a solid track record of getting a lot out of his QB's.

It's all what they believe. Just like how we believed in Joe when most of the media and fans thought it was a big reach to take him at 18 overall in the 08 draft. The Chiefs may be in a situation just like the Dolphins were in 2008...taking the safe LT because there were no Luck's or Griffin's in that draft...bypassed Matt Ryan because they thought they could get Joe at the top of round 2 as nobody thought Joe was a first round pick...and missed out and have to take Chad Henne.

I'm sure Parcells would like a do-over.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

If the Bills or the Cards want Glennon badly enough will they trade up to get to number 32? I think its likely they will give Ozzie a call, since Ozzie is known as a GM who will wheel and deal, the question is what will it cost them? This is not like the Vikes trading up for a safety, this is for a QB. Best case scenario, the Cards or the Bills will compete for an offer, and we may end up with an extra 2nd, 3rd and a 4th round pick, ala 2010 with the Broncos. The Cheifs will also be in the hunt if they pass up on Geno (which they should) and don't sign anybody.

Blog Entries

Lacy won't be at combine due to small hamstring tear from working out.

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    ...taking the safe LT because there were no Luck's or Griffin's in that draft...bypassed Matt Ryan because they thought they could get Joe at the top of round 2 as nobody thought Joe was a first round pick...and missed out and have to take Chad Henne.

I'm sure Parcells would like a do-over.
    Matt Ryan was considered a franchise quarterback coming out of Boston College, and he clearly had a high draft pick grade from everyone. The Ravens even entertained the idea of moving up in the draft to get him. The mistake the Dolphins made wasn't in hoping Flacco would be available later - it was passing on a franchise QB in the first place. There's no way Geno Smith in 2012 is held in the same regard as Matt Ryan was in 2008, so making the comparison to that situation is silly.

7. Iowa State - LB - AJ Klein

Potential LB prospect for the Ravens in the 2013 NFL Draft?

8. 2013 NFL Draft: Kansas - DB - Bradley McDougald

Possible safety prospect for the Ravens in the 2013 NFL Draft?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WK5rhyqcEAU

Blog Entries

Re: Iowa State - LB - AJ Klein

If Te'o or Georgia linebacker Alec Ogletree falls to 32, Mayock says Ravens will "sprint to the podium" to take either guy. Ogletree has top-ten talent, according to Mayock. Ogletree recently was arrested for DUI.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    If I was Dorsey, I wouldn't pick Geno Smith, and tbh I wouldn't pick Joeckel either. I don't understand why so many think that's what the Cheifs should do, when they can just re-sign Brandon Albert. I'd probably trade down and try and get a ransom out of it, then take Dee Milliner or something.
    There's no Julio Jones or RG3 in this draft. Who's dying to move up to #1?

Re: Iowa State - LB - AJ Klein

Since we know Ozzie loves him some small school players here are a few Schrager says to look out for

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/2...preview-021413

1. Aaron Mellette, WR, Elon: Brian Quick, a wide receiver out of Appalachian State, was taken 33rd overall by the St. Louis Rams in the 2012 NFL Draft. I’ve spoken to more than one NFL scout who says they are bigger fans of Mellette — an opponent of Quick’s in the Southern Conference — than the second-round selection.

Even if Mellette has a disastrous week in Indy, he will be the first player from Elon (North Carolina) to be drafted since the Jacksonville Jaguars took Chad Nkang in the seventh round in 2007.

His college numbers? Well, they’re insane. After catching eight balls in his first year with the Phoenix, Mellette rattled off 86-catch, 113-catch and 97-catch seasons. In three years, he hauled in 42 touchdown passes. He’s also 6-foot-4, 220 pounds and a precise route runner. He’s not going to dazzle in the 40-yard dash, but he’s a surefire NFL player. There haven’t been many of those out of Elon.

Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post
    Good question and thus a somewhat risky pick, especially for the Ravens given their situation.
    As far as talent and ability goes, Austin is a top four pick IMO. He's elite b/c no one on the board can consistently do what he does and has done it versus top talent. He's one of 4 elite athletes/football players in this Draft IMO behind The Joker, Lotulelei and Fisher. If he's on the board at 32 and our FO decided to nab him then we could have a 2014 armory of Rice/Pierce, Pitta, Torrey, Streeter, Austin plus one of the many 6'5/6'6 250+ lb TEs from this class. That should be good for 27+ on the board every week. In the meantime, that's still leaves plenty of picks for our 2013 needs as per the EotS presser...not to mention whomever we sign between March and September.

As far as durability goes, I don't think Austin will take many direct shots in his career at all. He's too low to the ground and too agile. You'll see him go to the turf on his own waaaay more than take a direct blow.