Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

OTA Notes from June 6

McNair is sharp...Billick's new trick play and much, much more here in CAMP NOTES

Re: OTA Notes from June 6

Tony,

Thank you so much for providing insights into the OTAs. Like most Ravens fans, each day I am starved to learn of the progress of the players and ultimately the team each day. The local TV channels do not have the time, nor seemingly the desire to provide much more than 10,000 foot highlights. I realize that you can not take requests, however I am more than curious of how Cullen Finnerty looks during the drills.

I do not watch college ball (I don't have the time on Saturdays) and I did not know much about him before the NFL Draft. I researched his impressive stats after we picked him up after the draft; and I am very curious of his progress or lack thereof? For some strange reason I am intrigued by his background and impressive stats from his college career. How much of it can or will transfer to the big boys in the NFL is the great unknown?

I know that most likely the QBs will be: McNair, Boller & Smith - at this point, probably the top three QBs on the roster. If Finnerty is worth keeping he will be the Practice Squad QB for whatever length of time. (Hello Phil Savage!)

I would be most grateful if you would be kind enough to devote a few sentences specifically to Finnerty and Troy Smith as well. Sooner or later we have to stumble upon a good young, long term QB to lead the team...

Thank you, if you can... and thank you, if you can't for your excellent reporting.
    Last edited by BA Ravens; 06-07-2007 at 10:21 PM.

WRW,

It's far too early to draw any conclusions but I have been impressed with the progress made by Smith and Finnerty. Neither seems very starry-eyed to me but then again, neither has taken on the first team defense either.

My guess is that Smith makes the team and that will leave the Ravens with some difficult decisions/roster risks particularly if Finnerty does well throughout camp. And don't forget about Drew Olson. He's having a decent season in Europe and while his play isn't pretty, he has shown an ability to win wherever he's been.

I'll ask Finnerty if he'll join us on GAMETIME this Sunday.

Tony, as always, an awesome read. I wait all day for those articles.

Had a few questions. How has Antwan Barnes looked? Is he as athletic & quick as advertised? Also, how does McNair look physically & how does his arm-strength look as compared to last season? Finally, are there any players that have surprised you, thus far?? Thanks...

Quote Originally Posted by lance1086 View Post
    Tony, as always, an awesome read. I wait all day for those articles.

Had a few questions. How has Antwan Barnes looked? Is he as athletic & quick as advertised? Also, how does McNair look physically & how does his arm-strength look as compared to last season? Finally, are there any players that have surprised you, thus far?? Thanks...

My pleasure Lance....thanks for reading.

Barnes is very quick and has an explosive first step. He will be a nuisance to opponents when they are forced to pass. I hate to put this on him already but the physical attributes remind me a bit of Dwight Freeney. How he takes to coaching and how he refines his game so that he's less predictable and develops a repertoire of pass rushing moves will determine how good he can be. The God given skills are evident.

McNair was very good today and I think greater certainty in the offense will enable him to deliver passes with more authority. That said, he is what he is and you aren't going to see 60 yard spirals down the sidelines.

It's hard to suggest surprises thus far since these are basically passing camps in shorts...Devard Darling has practiced very well and he's been the recipient of several kudos from Neuheisel and Mike Johnson. Suggs' conditioning is excellent...McClain looks like a natural pass catcher out of the backfield...Smith and Finnerty don't seem to be as in awe as I thought they might...no major surprises though...I do like the quiet resolve of the team...the loss to the Colts stings and that has left them very focused. We'll see how that plays out but I'm optimistic.

I don’t have any specific questions but especially out here – I’m starved foe purple.
    Thanks again for all the hard work!

Sounds like the boyz are focused and don’t want it to end like it did last year. Motivation like that is a good thing. Everything sounds like it is falling into place well so far.
    Keeping the purple flowing way out on the West Coast!

Thanks for the notes Tony. I love how focused this team is.

Thanks TL.

For the moment Mike Kracalik is lining up in Ogden’s spot…
    A little surprised it isn't Yanda.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

Quote Originally Posted by festivus View Post
    Thanks TL.

A little surprised it isn't Yanda.
    As well, thanks TL.... It's nice to not pay for articles, adn for that I will keep reading and clicking on banners...

That said, I am not surprised that Kracalik is participating in the drills at LT... due to the fact that they would move Terry over if Ogden were hurt, Yanda is playign wehre he should be, RT on the Second team. As such, Terry is where he should be, on the RT, where he will start. Again, that Is why I'm glad that Chester, then Grubbs are on the top two teams at RG, as one of them will no doubt be starting there.... Get used to where you will be.

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    As well, thanks TL.... It's nice to not pay for articles, adn for that I will keep reading and clicking on banners...

That said, I am not surprised that Kracalik is participating in the drills at LT... due to the fact that they would move Terry over if Ogden were hurt, Yanda is playign wehre he should be, RT on the Second team. As such, Terry is where he should be, on the RT, where he will start. Again, that Is why I'm glad that Chester, then Grubbs are on the top two teams at RG, as one of them will no doubt be starting there.... Get used to where you will be.
    I thank all of YOU for your support.....things are only going to get better here and in Owings Mills...

As for Kracalik, he's the better option to plug in at LT during practices. Not that he's a better LT than Terry....far from it. But one of the issues Terry had last year is that he didn't get the needed reps in camp at RT that the team had hoped for and that was due to Ogden's absence from camp in '06 as he mourned the passing of his Dad. The team doesn't want to shift Terry to the left in practice. He's shown that he can play LT. They haven't seen that yet at RT. Terry will be the starter there and I believe he will perform at no less than the level of Tony Pashos.
    Last edited by TL24x7; 06-07-2007 at 05:47 PM.

That was precisely my line of thinking.

Hey Tony,

Thank you for your responses... I really appreciate the information. Finnerty on GAME TIME would be very insightful to learn of his experiences thus far.

I can't listen to GAME TIME live, but I replay them from the website links. Another great idea for the fans.

Thanks!
    (I'll owe you a few dozen extra clicks for your kindness...)