Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Re: Should Ravens Switch to a 4-3 Defense?

We finished the season playing more 3-4 than 4-3 I think, typical after I posted my thread on Suggs being a DE he starts playing as a LB more again!

We definitely have the personnel for both though. I'd argue that JJ is a better 4-3 OLB than 3-4 OLB because he's a far better run blocker than pass rusher.
    UKRavenGordon's Gametrips

2009 v Cleveland W
    2010 @ New York Jets W
    2011 (January 2012) @ New England AFCCG L

Re: Should Ravens Switch to a 4-3 Defense?

I would prefer a 4-3. Frankly I think the D would be better. I think the personnel are better suited for a 4-3.
    The most versatile guy on the D now is Ngata. And Ngata isn't as good as a DE as he is a DT. Suggs used to be pretty versatile either rushing or dropping back in coverage, not as much now though.
    It's pretty established Ray is best when you can keep lineman off of him. In a 3-4 set, they get to him much more often.
    Cody, is not really a good enough DT to run the 3-4.
    I know we run a hybrid, but that is only as effective to the extent you have versatile personnel. Back in Suggs younger days, coupled with A Thomas it was fabulous. But the Ravens are not nearly that versatile anymore.
    The personnel fits a 4-3.

3. Re: Should Ravens Switch to a 4-3 Defense?

Quote Originally Posted by Bhcforlife View Post
    I don't see how the personnel fits a 4-3. Need to have interior guys on the DL who can rush, and OLBs who can cover, right now I don't see the Ravens having guys that fit either of those descriptions. A healthy Ngata gives you some pass rush but Cody and the others don't provide anything in that area...and they literally have nobody at OLB who can cover like a 4-3 would require them to.
    In a 4-3 you need interior guys that can get push up the middle. Ngata and Cody and get push in the middle. In a 4-3 you want your two DT to draw in three blockers from the o-line. this will free up your DE's for one on one match ups against tackles. We have the players for this

These threads always make me LOL. The Ravens already run a 4-3 on a good deal of their plays. I don't know how many times it has to be said that the Ravens have a hybrid defense and don't have a traditional "base" formation. We have a very diverse group of players so it makes sense to run a diverse set of formations.

Ngata can play 4-3 DE, 3-4 DE, DT, NT, and really any position you come up with on the line. Cody is a NT, but even some 4-3 sets utilize a NT/UT set up instead of just 2 DT's. McPhee can play 4-3 DT, 4-3 DE, and 3-4 DE. Jones can play 4-3 DT and 3-4 DE. Suggs, Kruger, Kindle, and probably McAdoo can play 3-4 OLB and 4-3 DE. McClellan learned to play ILB this year out of necessity but I could see him being a very versatile player capable of filling in at any LB position.

Blog Entries

They don't currently have the linebackers to successfully run the 4-3 full-time.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    They don't currently have the linebackers to successfully run the 4-3 full-time.
    So how does running a 3-4 help with the LB situation?

7. Re: Should Ravens Switch to a 4-3 Defense?

I dont think we have LB's for a 3-4 etheir. Is JJ really a 3-4 starting outside LB? Ray Lewis isnt really a force in the middle like that. Suggs i wold say is that hybrid DE/LB to fit in a 3-4. He is the only idol LB we have for a 3-4 IMO

8. Re: Should Ravens Switch to a 4-3 Defense?

Quote Originally Posted by mfdoom42 View Post
    These threads always make me LOL. The Ravens already run a 4-3 on a good deal of their plays. I don't know how many times it has to be said that the Ravens have a hybrid defense and don't have a traditional "base" formation. We have a very diverse group of players so it makes sense to run a diverse set of formations.
    I think the OP is talking about running a traditional Base 4-3 not hybrid like we run

Blog Entries

I disagree with that.

I think they are 1 LB away from being a decent 4-3 unit, but I think they're a LB shy of being a good 3-4 unit as well.

I actually think that JJ would be a good weakside OLB. McClain isn't the greatest in coverage, but he's not terrible. He'd be my choice for the strong side. Ellerbe would be my #2 Mike behind Ray Lewis. Also, with the way the draft is shaping up the Ravens could easily take a guy like Lavonte David, Zach Brown, or Terrell Manning.

Stephen Tulloch, Dan Connor, EJ Henderson, Kirk Morrison, Joe Mays, Wesley Woodyard, and Barrett Ruud are all FA's and all have functioned well in a 4-3.

It's entirely possible.

Kruger is obviously really great as a pass rushing DE, but in coverage he's just not quick enough to be effective at it. Pernell McPhee is also someone who could play LE in a 4-3.

Honestly though, it doesn't matter because offenses are still going to try and double Suggs until the Ravens get someone who can legitimately rush the passer from the opposite side and be an every down OLB/DE. Hopefully that's Kruger or Kindle.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

10. Re: Should Ravens Switch to a 4-3 Defense?

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I disagree with that.

I think they are 1 LB away from being a decent 4-3 unit, but I think they're a LB shy of being a good 3-4 unit as well.

I actually think that JJ would be a good weakside OLB. McClain isn't the greatest in coverage, but he's not terrible. He'd be my choice for the strong side. Ellerbe would be my #2 Mike behind Ray Lewis.
    JJ would make a great weakside LB but Ellebre is not a MLB. He looks lost out there and gets hurt a lot. He has speed and great lateral movement but he doesnt read play and his awareness sucks. McClain would be my #2 behind lewis and Raves could draft a strong side LB. We have everything else in place.

11. Re: Should Ravens Switch to a 4-3 Defense?

Quote Originally Posted by mommathurgoesthatman View Post
    I think the OP is talking about running a traditional Base 4-3 not hybrid like we run
    We haven't ran a true hybrid D since Rex Ryan left.

2009 v Cleveland W
    2010 @ New York Jets W

12. Re: Should Ravens Switch to a 4-3 Defense?

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I disagree with that.

I actually think that JJ would be a good weakside OLB. McClain isn't the greatest in coverage, but he's not terrible. He'd be my choice for the strong side. Ellerbe would be my #2 Mike behind Ray Lewis. Also, with the way the draft is shaping up the Ravens could easily take a guy like Lavonte David, Zach Brown, or Terrell Manning.

Stephen Tulloch, Dan Connor, EJ Henderson, Kirk Morrison, Joe Mays, Wesley Woodyard, and Barrett Ruud are all FA's and all have functioned well in a 4-3.

It's entirely possible.

Kruger is obviously really great as a pass rushing DE, but in coverage he's just not quick enough to be effective at it. Pernell McPhee is also someone who could play LE in a 4-3.

Honestly though, it doesn't matter because offenses are still going to try and double Suggs until the Ravens get someone who can legitimately rush the passer from the opposite side and be an every down OLB/DE. Hopefully that's Kruger or Kindle.
    Full agree with you on McPhee, but I think we'll see him be used as (and be effective) a 4-3 pass rusher next season - similar to Geno Atkins in Cincy.

2009 v Cleveland W
    2010 @ New York Jets W