Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remember when Flacco was a game manager who only dumped off to Rice?

It was like 6 weeks ago, but it is amazing how that perception has changed. All anybody is talking about now is his arm strength and ability to throw the long ball.

Maybe it was all Cam's fault. I miss those WR end arounds though.

Blog Entries

Re: Remember when Flacco was a game manager who only dumped off to Rice?

Have to wonder if after 4th and 29, Flacco realized he couldn't do that again...Notice, when discussing the play in Denver, he mentions that he saw he had a sure fire 1st down to Rice, but with 41 seconds and needing 7, he knew he was going to have to push down field. Thus, he kept his eye deep and found the breakdown.

Jacoby Jones isn't always going to be open like that, but having that progression to try to make the spark play happen...that's what we need.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

The narrative has changed from that to "Flacco is a QB who throws up 'prayers' that his wide receivers catch, making him look better than he actually is."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    Have to wonder if after 4th and 29, Flacco realized he couldn't do that again...he kept his eye deep and found the breakdown.
    The major change is the OL stepping up. It's one hell of a lot easier for #5 to "keep his eyes deep" when the pocket isn't collapsing on him every time he drops back. When you're getting mauled before your deep receivers even have time to get upfield, dumpoffs to an All-Pro RB who breaks defenders' ankles on a routine basis are a pretty decent (& necessary) option.

Quote Originally Posted by PGCountyRaven85 View Post
    The narrative has changed from that to "Flacco is a QB who throws up 'prayers' that his wide receivers catch, making him look better than he actually is."
    If Flacco can throw to receivers while they are running, its lights out for opposing defenses. Being in sync and having a receiver know where the ball is going is the biggest difference this last couple of games. Joe started the season throwing the ball to a spot where the receivers knew to be. Turning around and having the ball right there is what great QBs do. For some reason, Raven QB and receivers are on the same page. It;s great to see, been waiting for it to happen. Flacco fake pumping(like brady,Br, and rodgers will take him to the next step. Having an OLine that protects him, will give him that comfort zone. Looking off defenders is also happening for Flacco. It's been a great 5 years so far and with stability(same receivers and great OLine) it's only going to get better.

iggyman555 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by somedumbguy View Post
    It was like 6 weeks ago, but it is amazing how that perception has changed. All anybody is talking about now is his arm strength and ability to throw the long ball.

Maybe it was all Cam's fault. I miss those WR end arounds though.

torrey ran one vs denver

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lobachevsky View Post
    The major change is the OL stepping up. It's one hell of a lot easier for #5 to "keep his eyes deep" when the pocket isn't collapsing on him every time he drops back. When you're getting mauled before your deep receivers even have time to get upfield, dumpoffs to an All-Pro RB who breaks defenders' ankles on a routine basis are a pretty decent (& necessary) option.
    part of it, but not entirely...

with a 3 man rush, Denver managed to get Dumervil in Flacco's personal space within a couple seconds, forcing him to step up. As he's releasing the ball, Von Miller has his arms flapping at Flacco trying to bat it down.

vs in the SD game, he had a pretty nice pocket, waited a few seconds and saw no WR separation, and just dumped off to Rice to get better field position for the turnover on downs...except Rice was too awesome.

The OL better play game Flacco more success throughout the game, thus more confidence to make the throw later in the game. But on those two plays, I'd argue the OL didn't help more in Denver than SD.

Major props though, they crushed Dumervil after Joe stepped up.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PGCountyRaven85 View Post
    As someone who spends a lot of time on "general" NFL forums, with fans from all teams, yes, this is accurate from the fan perspective.
    back on twitter

"Well that was an appropriate last ride for Pees. A Bengals WR streaking in for a game winning touchdown in the closing minutes is the man’s preferred medium to express his art." - GreenWave52

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by iggyman555 View Post
    torrey ran one vs denver
    and as usual it was wildly successful

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

look, i don't have a problem with occasionally running one...you know why?

1st play of Colts game. WR reverse to Donnie Avery, 1st down.

It's just a different look that can sometimes catch a D napping. A draw play can go for 1-2 yards too, should we throw those out as well?

Blog Entries

A WR reverse sets up the fake reverse, off tackle run for the halfback. Jamal Lewis used to get tons of yards off of that. The end with contain has to worry about the wide-out coming around, and gets effectively blocked even though no one is touching him. That frees up a blocker to get to the next level.

12. Re: Remember when Flacco was a game manager who only dumped off to Rice?

Quote Originally Posted by lobachevsky View Post
    This is part of the reason, but also since we're now using the short/middle of the field, the opposing secondaries can't just sit comfortably on the deep/out routes, so now when our receivers go deep/out, they actually are getting open.

Flacco also now seems to have been given the green light to move around & out of the pocket to buy extra time when needed instead of just dropping straight back and standing there like a statue.

All that's left for our passing game to be complete is to refine the timing of our short passing game and for our receivers to improve on knowing when and how to break off their routes and come back to Flacco when he's flushed out of the pocket.