Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Why is everyone up in arms about rebuilding the defense?

First off, I hate the Pollard move. We lose one of the best enforcers in the business.

However, the defense has been aging and had become porous over the last couple years. I agree with the rebuild. It's a huge shock to see it happen right after the Super Bowl, but it's a necessary evil. I'd personally rather see it happen right now than two years down the road.

Re: Why is everyone up in arms about rebuilding the defense?

It was either now or later, and with 12 picks its time to restock. Solid players at our need positions are there to be had I think. I like a safety in first 2 rounds now

The more i think about it, the more i am sure the whole Pollard move was about him being a player rep (look at Foxworth our old player rep). It wouldn't shock me that the next player rep would get the kick too. Kind of a curse to be the player rep for the ravens.

i do agree with you and not at all worried this time of year. I will start to get worried if we see our 8th loss in week 10 or so next season.

Blog Entries

had become porous over the last couple years
    That's absolute garbage sorry. I agree with the premise of this thread, but before 2012 (injury riddled season), we had the 3rd ranked overall defense ever year since 2008. Had Suggs not got injured, I'm pretty sure the defense would have been pretty damn good in 2012 too.

In total agreement. It's not like we were a top tier defense that was old last year. We were a middling defense that was old. Might as well get young and see what we have.

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    That's absolute garbage sorry. I agree with the premise of this thread, but before 2012 (injury riddled season), we had the 3rd ranked overall defense ever year since 2008. Had Suggs not got injured, I'm pretty sure the defense would have been pretty damn good in 2012 too.
    And Webb, I think the point is that our defense needs to evolve with the game and pieces like Pollard I guess don't fit. Canty is the new version of Pollard it's just that he's 6'6" 320

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Darksouleyez View Post
    The more i think about it, the more i am sure the whole Pollard move was about him being a player rep (look at Foxworth our old player rep). It wouldn't shock me that the next player rep would get the kick too. Kind of a curse to be the player rep for the ravens.
    Really? That literally has nothing to do with it. Some of the leagues better players are player reps. Theyre not released simply for being a rep which is mandatory per team.
    -JAB

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    Really? That literally has nothing to do with it. Some of the leagues better players are player reps. Theyre not released simply for being a rep which is mandatory per team.
    The reason behind me saying that is they are more of the "Vocal" people on each team. which goes back to that whole quote floating around yesterday about less outspoken players in the locker room.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by conviction View Post
    And Webb, I think the point is that our defense needs to evolve with the game and pieces like Pollard I guess don't fit. Canty is the new version of Pollard it's just that he's 6'6" 320
    Oh I agree. I was just saying his point about the defense being awful through the last couple of years is total nonsense.

But yeah, I think we need a better coverage player at SS, Pollard is a throw back player.

Blog Entries

Look, I have kept mum on most of the sky is falling business around here but I am going to break it down.

I will miss Q and any and all of the Ravens who either move on to greener pa$ture$ or are cut by the team. I forgot whom it was that stated the new plan of how the team will build around a franchise QB like New England does, but they were right.

I would like to add to that notion. It has been argued here on another thread that Harrison would be a bad pick up because he is a dirty player. Fair enough. But that type of play, the hitting and trying to dislodge the ball with a "BIG HIT" is going to be going away. Just like the rules have changed from 12 years ago from the Ravens record setting defense, it will evolve in the next 12.

The NFL is fast becoming the arena league. It is all going to become about passing and stopping the pass. WR and DB's are going to be interchangeable pawns with speed. You'll get the occasional anomaly at tight end, but on the whole, there ill be no more "big hits" it is going to become about sure tackling and ripping the ball away from the ball carrier. Hence, players like Pollard are going the way of the dinosaur. Even Ray Lewis is going to be remembered as people think of Butkus and what he got away with decades ago.

The offensive and defensive lines are going to become premium places of cost and action after QB's. This will be one of the last places the game really changes and it will evolve in the way of illegal chop blocks from the o-line and less leeway for defensive line players on hitting the quarterback as is already ever present.

Five yards beyond the line of scrimmage, it is going to turn into almost flag football. Even running back has been devalued over the years. The ability to catch is almost as important as it is to run - Ray Rice/Reggie Bush. This again like the tight end still has a places for players like AP. But overall, this is the progression of the game.

It is my belief, that based upon the evolution of the game, suggestions of the competition committee, the problem with concussions and safty as well as Roger Goodell's comments about making the game safer draw me to this conclusion: Ozzie Newsome thinks along these lines and is building a team to reflect the evolution of the game.

Think outside the box my friends.

The reason behind me saying that is they are more of the "Vocal" people on each team. which goes back to that whole quote floating around yesterday about less outspoken players in the locker room.
    Just to add fact to the discussion- Foxworth is gone because he was injured, had zero to do with his player rep status

Totally agree.

The defense definitely lost its speed and tackling from 2011 to 2012. Can't wait to see how this unit shapes up with the youth and speed coming in.

i do agree with you and not at all worried this time of year. I will start to get worried if we see our 8th loss in week 10 or so next season.
    Absurd.

Plenty of players are outspoken and are union reps. They get along with coaches just fine.

This had to do with him being an asshat to other teammates and being trouble in the locker room. That's the reason he's on his fourth team.