Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Great cosell column on qb's

http://yhoo.it/XMQ7Em

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Re: Great cosell column on qb's

as usual I think Cosell is full of it. The reason Cam struggled last year is because they went away from the zone/read. Once Carolina went back to it, he became good again. And QBs like the one in Pitt improvise all the time and it works more times than not.

Improvisation and sandlot play may occasionally look spectacular, but always remember they are random and arbitrary.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

I always laugh at the way these silly "there is only one way to run a pro style offense and that will never change" arguments inevitably come back to "defenses will figure out how to scheme all of this new nonsense." Because, really? Stopping an offense is really just as simple as drawing X's on a chalkboard? if that's true, why doesn't it apply to defending, say, a traditional pro style running attack? After all; all you have to do is be sure you have your X's properly positioned in all of the running lanes, right?

Also too, I'm fairly certain that Cam Newton is not the first NFL quarterback who didn't improve to the extent media analysts assumed he would going into his second pro season.

Blog Entries

Before I bring up several arguments against all you read option apologists, when was the last time a team won the SB without running a normal NFL pro style offense? Aaron Rogers can get out of the pocket, extend plays, and run for firsts downs, so can Roethlisberger, hell even Flacco is an underrated athlete and can escape pressure (as seen in the SB). But they are all QBs who stand in the pocket and win games off their arm, not their legs.

I think the option can work to some extent, but I'm not sure if you can win a SB running that offense, and without a QB who can throw the ball at an elite level. A team is never going to win anything with a QB who wants to run before throwing. Then there is the injury factor that plays into it. Once NFL defenses start getting more experience playing against these offenses, and spending the time in the film room, the speed and physicality will soon catch up with it,

I'm in agreement with most of what Greg says in the article, the read option offense will only go so far

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Before I bring up several arguments against all you read option apologists, when was the last time a team won the SB without running a normal NFL pro style offense? Aaron Rogers can get out of the pocket, extend plays, and run for firsts downs, so can Roethlisberger, hell even Flacco is an underrated athlete and can escape pressure (as seen in the SB). But they are all QBs who stand in the pocket and win games off their arm, not their legs.

I think the option can work to some extent, but I'm not sure if you can win a SB running that offense, and without a QB who can throw the ball at an elite level. A team is never going to win anything with a QB who wants to run before throwing. Then there is the injury factor that plays into it. Once NFL defenses start getting more experience playing against these offenses, and spending the time in the film room, the speed and physicality will soon catch up with it,
    +1 I think Cosell's main point when it comes to QB's is that they need to be able to make the throws to be successful. The read option running stuff is great, but if a QB can't make the big time throws then he's not going to be able to consistently win in the NFL.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post

Well the 49ers were one defensed pass away from a Superbowl title.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Terpsfan82 View Post
    Well the 49ers were one defensed pass away from a Superbowl title.
    Kaep is not just an option qb. He has a legit nfl arm.

I agree with Cosell. This is a continuation of an article he wrote a few weeks ago. His main point, and I agree with him, is that you need to be able to be an effective passer in the pocket in order to be a consistent success in the NFL. That is why Russell Wilson and CK will probably be able to be successful in the NFL and Mike Vick will not.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    Kaep is not just an option qb. He has a legit nfl arm.

It's relatively new in the NFL other than Cam Newton and Denver's fling with Tebow. Of course the QB needs to be able to throw the ball, but last year teams like Seattle, Washington, San Fran proved that the option creates opportunities. And as I mentioned, QBs like Ben have been improvising since they got into the league and it's a big part of why he has been successful. Another nothing article from Cosell IMO

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    It's relatively new in the NFL other than Cam Newton and Denver's fling with Tebow. Of course the QB needs to be able to throw the ball, but last year teams like Seattle, Washington, San Fran proved that the option creates opportunities. And as I mentioned, QBs like Ben have been improvising since they got into the league and it's a big part of why he has been successful. Another nothing article from Cosell IMO
    So you think a QB improvising because he's being flushed out of the pocket is the same as a QB improvising on whether to run/pass at the point of attack is the same? LOL. Completely different dynamics at work.
    There's no question the option works but it's only going to take you so far.