Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: The Arc on Joe's ball.

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    Actually,it would probably be easy to do if you had the right technology to measure from the field up to where the ball hit it's peak, but good luck finding that.
    It seems to me when I watch Jaws go over game film and he breaks down everything on a play, he includes the speed/velocity of the throw. We know it went 54 yard horizontal distance. If we knew the speed/velocity, we could calculate the arc.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RedSkins Fury View Post
    Good! I'm glad he sees it.
    Jaws has always been a big Flacco supporter.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

That calculates the "field distance". I'm curios as to the actual distance the ball travelled along the arc, from Joe's hand to Jacoby's hand. We would have to at least know the actual height the ball reached at top of the arc. I think knowing that measurement and the 64 yard measurement would be enough to figure out the actual distance.
    I assumed the ball traveled 54 yards forward and 24 yards to the right (approximately the distance from the hashmark to the sideline). I used the Pythagorean theorem (a^2 + b^2 = c^2) to give a real distance of 59 yards.
    Long days and pleasant nights.

I also thought the first one to Torrey dropped right in there.

I found this on line... length of the arc is = angle/360 x 2 x pi x r
    Correct. You would need both the degree of the launch and the radius of the full circle (ie the peak height of the ball). The angle would be easy to figure out with a replay and a protractor. I don't think there's anyway to measure the peak height, though.
    Follow me on twitter at @dandrews66

That would be a good one for a math guy..... There must be some equation based on the distance, height, angle. The height alone has to almost double the distance the ball went compared to ball thrown on a rope. I'm not a calculus guy... lol.

More impressive is that the bail didn't hang... it still had a ton of velocity. Is Sports Science on this?

And, I think Moore was in position for a standard deep throw. It was the arc that put it over his head. Moore misplayed the arc, not the distance.
    Okay. I looked at the replay, he threw the ball from his own 25 and Jacoby caught it at the Denver 20. 65 yards in the air. Wow. And that's only after he put a lot air in that throw.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dandrews View Post
    Correct. You would need both the degree of the launch and the radius of the full circle (ie the peak height of the ball). The angle would be easy to figure out with a replay and a protractor. I don't think there's anyway to measure the peak height, though.
    Probably ~45 degrees.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Baltimoreboy View Post
    I also thought the first one to Torrey dropped right in there.
    I agree. It was pretty smooth, Torrey didn't have to do much to bring it in.

The bomb at the end though...I mean...I'm still speechless.

Just the events that transpired, the facts of the situation. No timeouts. The way Flacco had to wiggle through and step up...the OL giving him the time to even do that...the distance the ball traveled...

Simply amazing.

I heard a radio caller name it the "F Bomb". I think that is a fitting name.

It was thrown by Flacco. It made Denver fans yell "F*ck!", and it made me yell "F*ck YEAH!!"

Quote Originally Posted by bt12483 View Post
    I heard a radio caller name it the "F Bomb". I think that is a fitting name.

It was thrown by Flacco. It made Denver fans yell "F*ck!", and it made me yell "F*ck YEAH!!"
    Perfect! Start spreading it.

Quote Originally Posted by Roland of Gilead View Post
    I assumed the ball traveled 54 yards forward and 24 yards to the right (approximately the distance from the hashmark to the sideline). I used the Pythagorean theorem (a^2 + b^2 = c^2) to give a real distance of 59 yards.
    This is the correct approach for distance traveled along the ground. 24 seems like a reasonable guess for horizontal distance so 59 is probably just about right.

The arc formula mentioned in an earlier post assumes a circular arc. A thrown ball will have a more elongated trajectory on the way up, but it will come down more steeply since it loses lateral velocity due to air resistance. It still may be good enough for an approximate answer, but to do it right you'll probably need some physics and calculus. Yuck!

Height's a little tough to tell.
    35' maybe?
    The ball is hidden behind the Team/score banner for awhile as the camera follows it.

First get a glimpse here under the "4th";

Above the bronco nose

I should make a few gif's :)

12. Re: The Arc on Joe's ball.

I love that he dropped it in there like a punt, which is perfect for Jones, who is a not-the-most-assured receiver, but quite good as a punt/kick returner. Smith or Boldin might've been able to make a contested catch, although Boldin wouldn't have gotten as far downfield (not to mention open), and Smith would've been the obvious choice and even Moore would've probably figured out to play over the top on a deep route from Smith. It was a perfect play. Moore isn't out of position because he's a total dumbass. He's watching Smith down the left sideline, Boldin and Pitta toward the middle, and just got juked by a guy who had good speed but hadn't caught a pass all day.