Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Heroes and Goats...Week 5

Ray is the tone setter. The whole defense is awsome. They are not the problem, een though they did give up another untimley, uncharachteristic drive, they allowed a total of 2 TDs in 4 games, so I give them a complete pass.

The O line was awsome again. No sacks, no pressure, great push in the run game, and drive finishing TD the old fashioned way. I love everything about the O line play so far. The coaching job here is incredible, and they look like a premier unit in the NFL aready.

Heap and Mason are solid. Wilcox does his thing. Clayton is open, and has good hands, but he has got to fight for the first downs and block like he means it if he does not get the ball. I like th eskill guys as a group, but want to see some vertical game and better YAC from Clayton.

McClain is very fun to watch. I love that guy. he is a lot more shifty that you want to see from a guy who can run you over without a head of steam. Great hands, good blocking and incredible yards after contact.

Willis is still the guy, but he needs to be worked in sparingly until he shows he is near 100%. I do not see the same kind of big play potential I was getting from Ray Rice in preseason. I am not sure what is going in practice, but I want a little more Rice and a little less Willis. We are going to need Willis later on, so if he is hurting he needs to sit down.

As far as goat of the game it is only one guy. There were a lot of mistakes made through the game, and one play here or there would have made all the difference, but of all the mistakes, Flacco's stood out the most. If he just throws the ball out of bounds the 3rd time, we most likley win the game. If he just ran for 5 yards both times, we win. The mistakes were the same mistakes, over and over, and over again. The rest of the game he was pretty good, even though it loked like he was afraid to go deep.
    I think we have to play through his mistakes for a few more games, but this team has too much talent to play for the future.

Stover gets a pass, but has to get better.

I agree McGahee has to be added to the Goat list. This cat is simply not pulling his weight so far. I thought his rep from Buffalo was a case of sour grapes by the fans, but I am starting to see why they don't miss him.

FM

How does Suggs get to be on the Heroes list? Despite the penalty, take that away for a second; what else did he do? There was no pass rush on Collins, especially on that last drive the defense caughed up the lead with.

If you want to put someone on the Heroes list, how about Ngata and Bannon? At least they contributed to one of the turnovers for the Ravens Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by StingerNLG View Post
    How does Suggs get to be on the Heroes list? Despite the penalty, take that away for a second; what else did he do? There was no pass rush on Collins, especially on that last drive the defense caughed up the lead with.

If you want to put someone on the Heroes list, how about Ngata and Bannon? At least they contributed to one of the turnovers for the Ravens Sunday.
    I saw Suggs' pressure, although not in the form of sacks. Collins was able to move around in the pocket But T-Sizzle forced more than a couple bad passes by Collins, the last being a would-be harmless pass forcing a would-be punt if it weren't for the errant whistle of a certified douchebag of an NFL official.

He was right in the mix of things, believe me...His run support this game was exemplary...

Agree with Stinger.

Take away the penalty and Suggs name is never mentioned.

Suggs as ever was bringing pressure all day long. I'm with Rav on this, he may not get to the QB for a sack as much as some folks would like but there's more to pressure than big sack numbers. Suggs brings it on every down, Sunday was another day at the office for him.

Both teams are paid to play and adjust on the fly, the Titans did a good job of adjusting their passing plays and protection schemes to buy Collins time and move the pocket to avoid the pressure on the final drive, the credit goes to them rather than it being an indictment of our defence IMO.

If "bringing it" means his least productive performance to date this season, then we are in agreement.

3 tackles (2 solo and one assist) and no sacks and no QB knockdowns. 7 other players on the Ravens D had more tackles then Suggs on Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    If "bringing it" means his least productive performance to date this season, then we are in agreement.

3 tackles (2 solo and one assist) and no sacks and no QB knockdowns. 7 other players on the Ravens D had more tackles then Suggs on Sunday.
    You have to know that a boxscore doesn't begin to tell the true story of a player's impact, right?

Least productive? Numbers-wise, maybe. But numbers don't tell the whole story. Numbers are what you look up on NFL dot COM and make assumptions about because you didn't actually see a player perform in that game.

I isolated T-Sizzle for at least 60-70% of the game and he was definitely on his game...Notice the double-team he was receiving when that atrocious roughing call was made. Teams don't normally tend to double-team guys who aren't productive.

Sheesh...

The Suggs glasses are out in full force yet again ...

I am always scratching my head when someone with an obvious bias towards a player who isnt playing up to his potential always say "numbers dont show the whole story".

Ok, so what DO they show? Because last I checked, LB's of Suggs ilk are judged on their sack totals, pressure on the QB, tackles, etc. It's what THEY use when they are negotiationg contracts, showing how valuable they are to the team, etc. Yet, when it comes down to evaluating the player on our end, they mysteriously become invalid and incomplete.

Suggs had a sub-par game. Period. I know you two jock him pretty hard, but I mean this is a pretty obvious call.

Agree to disagree. But to say he was the hero on D negates the efforts of the 7 other defensive players who had better games.

How many sacks does Freeney have? Jared Allen, Julius Peppers? John Abraham leads the NFL and Joey Porter is right behind him.

Sacks are not what measures a guys ability. Too many other factors play in to it. Suggs has drawn double teams on almost every passing down and still got pressure and maintained his outside contain responsibility. he has not been beaten on any cutback runs or reverses, waggles or boots.
    He is doing his job, and so is the defense, that like I said is #1 in the NFL in yards, points, passing and rushing.

I know it is disapointing to see them give up drives at the end of games, but that happens. They are still #1 even with that factored in. Suggs is a big part of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremiah W View Post
    How many sacks does Freeney have? Jared Allen, Julius Peppers? John Abraham leads the NFL and Joey Porter is right behind him.

Sacks are not what measures a guys ability. Too many other factors play in to it. Suggs has drawn double teams on almost every passing down and still got pressure and maintained his outside contain responsibility. he has not been beaten on any cutback runs or reverses, waggles or boots.
    He is doing his job, and so is the defense, that like I said is #1 in the NFL in yards, points, passing and rushing.

I know it is disapointing to see them give up drives at the end of games, but that happens. They are still #1 even with that factored in. Suggs is a big part of that.
    Stop using logic, Jeremiah... I give up on this HoustonRaven cat...

He seems to think insulting folks gives his point of view more validity.

Best to puttem on ignore.

Guys I rewatched the game and although I wasn't focused on the DL pressure, I did not think Suggs was doubleteamed that much. Filmstudy you will know. I noticed Pryce was DTed a lot.

I think that Suggs is definitely in the Top 10 of DEs (Hybrid LBs) in the NFL, maybe even in the Top 5, but if he demands Freeney money, who I think was overpaid, I would have to take a pass on Suggs. Ray needed a big guy to keep him away from blockers for him to shine. We got Ngata and Ray looks like the 2000 version of 52 this year. I am afraid that Suggs needs a Pryce like linemen thats gets pressure and forces offenses to doubleteam him. This allows Suggs to see a lot more one on ones against the OTs. Unfortunately Pryce is getting old, and his skills arent a dime a dozen. In general, we gotta equip Flacco with some better offensive talent moving forward, and spend some more money on that side (and more wisely.... McGahee contract ). Sure our D is going to suffer a little, but we gotta be able to score more points. The future Ravens' D may give up 17-20 points/game, but hopefully our O can score 24.